• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map MB size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
What is largest possible map size in MB?
I'm making epic one, and since it's that large i imported lots of units (i'm missing other stuff like dodads, icons...)
So map with units only is 20MB...
Is that ok, can it work, any sugestions?

Level 7
Battle.net-limit is 8mb, Singleplayer is unlimited (LAN too I think but not sure).

Level 11
Battle.net-limit is 8mb...

I'd say 9 out of 10 maps are for Battle.Net, if not more. I suggest you make it a habit to cap your map size to 8 MB, unless you're making campaigns of course. And 20 MB of just units? That's a lot really. When downloading them, first take a look at the file size. Think twice before downloading and importing unit models with about +150 kB; there are plenty of fine models with low size. About doodads and icons, they usually never take much space; a single icon rarely exceeds 10 kB, which isn't much at all anyway.

Level 3
I'd say 9 out of 10 maps are for Battle.Net, if not more. I suggest you make it a habit to cap your map size to 8 MB, unless you're making campaigns of course. And 20 MB of just units? That's a lot really. When downloading them, first take a look at the file size. Think twice before downloading and importing unit models with about +150 kB; there are plenty of fine models with low size. About doodads and icons, they usually never take much space; a single icon rarely exceeds 10 kB, which isn't much at all anyway.

I imagined this map like single player ORPG,
-protagonist roams around basically
-high quality models, icons...
-not so dificult to play
-nice landscape
-rpg music...etc
What bothered me was the fact of 20MB+ file size, only once i saw map 50MB, others are up to 8MB as u said.

Ty

Level 9
o_O A map that's 50 mb? Is it a whole campaign or just one map?

I have around 50+ custom units along with icons and custom sound in my map and it's still only 4.3 mb ish. The 100 kb models that archive to 10 kb ftw (a lot of Bob's models). I would really recommend getting into the habit of limiting map size. When I started my map, i could care less and now I'm slowly starting to replace them.

When a map is too big, it discourages people from downloading them. If I remember correctly, even the high quality Diablo III RPG is 5 mb.

Level 25
I imagined this map like single player ORPG,
-protagonist roams around basically
-high quality models, icons...
-not so dificult to play
-nice landscape
-rpg music...etc
What bothered me was the fact of 20MB+ file size, only once i saw map 50MB, others are up to 8MB as u said.

Ty

Unless singleplayer, look at the music, music take up LOT of space.

Level 3
o_O A map that's 50 mb? Is it a whole campaign or just one map?

I have around 50+ custom units along with icons and custom sound in my map and it's still only 4.3 mb ish. The 100 kb models that archive to 10 kb ftw (a lot of Bob's models). I would really recommend getting into the habit of limiting map size. When I started my map, i could care less and now I'm slowly starting to replace them.

When a map is too big, it discourages people from downloading them. If I remember correctly, even the high quality Diablo III RPG is 5 mb.

It was champaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.