• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Map Idea] Baneling Bowling - opinion poll

Would you play this custom map?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Maybe with significant changes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
rszgns.jpg

Haven't seen this idea yet lurking on Hive and TL so I decided to start throwing together a map. Since bowling by itself is pretty boring, I tried to spice it up with some Starcraft ideas. It's just a concept now, but I think the triggering will be basic enough that I can do it to learn the editor. I just want to know if people would play it!

Here is the concept:

16lh6iv.png

A game is 10 turns per player, a turn consists of 2 rolls just like normal bowling. So the player who is rolling will have an overlord that is not directly controllable. The overlord moves towards the lane and will roll a baneling when it crosses a certain line (marked by glowing ground doodads). The baneling goes straight in the direction the overlord was moving when it was dropped and will blow up if it hits a pin (marine) or rolls into the lava-filled gutter. The overlord gets to drop 2 banelings (strike) on the first roll and 1 on the second roll (spare).

The overlord is not controlled directly; instead, it always moves forward and faces a player-controlled SCV that spawns in the middle of the lane. The SCV will have screwy acceleration and turn speed so it is challenging. Additionally, the players who are not rolling on this turn will have defensive moves to screw up the guy that is currently rolling. I have 2 ideas currently for this, but more ideas are welcome (in an 8 player game you could have 4 defending players):

1. a sentry with enough energy for 1 force field, to totally block a small area of the lane from being aimed at.
2. a marauder, controlled FPS-style by the defending player. You fire missles and if you are good enough to hit the aiming SCV, you slow it with the concussive shell.

So in an ideal 4v4 baneling bowling match, maybe I would have 2 defending players on sentry duty and 2 as marauders. If it was FFA, then could just have 1 random non-rolling player be a marauder or sentry each turn.

Of course, this will be a camera-heavy game and the angle for the rolling player will be from behind the overlord so control of the SCV gives direct visual feedback on how good the shot is going to be.

So what do you think? Would you play baneling bowling if it were to be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.