• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Approval Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I absolutely prohibit the posting of game rips and exports as resources or for all other purposes. But in this case:

What if my map uses sounds (.wav files) extracted from Starcraft?

My map Ant Attack and Demolition X uses a few sounds (such as Zerg Defiler sounds or Siege Tank sounds) from Starcraft. Well some maps (like Illidan(Evil)X's Red Alert Skirmish Demo map) use sounds exported from other games whilst approved. Can maps containing such exports be ignored in THW's maps section? (I mean it works fine for other sites like Wc3c or TH.net but my Ant Attack was pending for a long amount of time and my question in the Admin Contact/Resource moderation wasn't answered. So I deleted my map in THW, well if the answer is 'it can be approved' then I'll re-submit my map and upload DX.) Don't -rep me or anything, just asking a map-related question that needs an answer.

Thanks in advance:grin:

Level 11
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/faq.php?faq=resources#faq_maprules
If you're map follows the map section rules, it will be approved. Its possible your map could be rejected based on using starcraft sounds, but it's unlikely considering the numbers of maps that are approved with such imports.

As for why your map has been pending so long: the turnaround time for map moderation here is very long, as we have a large volume of maps submitted to the site each day. Your map will eventually be moderated, however it could take some time. In the meantime, people can still download and comment on your map while it is "pending".

Level 6
Nothing against the forum mods/admins but I personally believe more resource moderators should be put in. People who play Warcraft often and like to try new maps. At any rate, just upload your map and hopefully they'll get to it eventually/

Level 34
Nothing against the forum mods/admins but I personally believe more resource moderators should be put in. People who play Warcraft often and like to try new maps. At any rate, just upload your map and hopefully they'll get to it eventually/
We've answered this so many times... no. Adding more is not the answer. Remember, this is a free site, in which we do you a service. And it's not as if people can't vote and rate you maps, they just don't have moderation approval.

To use Ghan_04's metaphor, it's like pouring more water into a broken glass. It doesn't help. We could add more moderators, but then we have to trust more people with power, which can be a bad thing in some cases.

Edit: Although having said that, we are getting more moderators, but we just don't hire someone when they ask. We have to know we can trust them. And there is a point when we have enough.

Level 6
I didn't say make it an open thing Gilles and in no way if you were suggesting was I asking to be one. But the site does need more moderators, or the already mods need to be more active.

it's like pouring more water into a broken glass.

So you admit the system doesn't work, yet what are you trying to do to fix it?

Level 11
I didn't say make it an open thing Gilles and in no way if you were suggesting was I asking to be one. But the site does need more moderators, or the already mods need to be more active.

So you admit the system doesn't work, yet what are you trying to do to fix it?

A lot.

(The curt response is from the obscenely large amount of discussion which has taken place on this topic. It's all been said and whenever such a discussion pops up again, the same things are said yet again.)

Status
Not open for further replies.