• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Map] AoS Card Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I was inspired by the outburst of card games in starcraft and decided to make one on my own. The "background" of the game will be standard AoS (as simple as possible, only towers and units in 3 lanes), with the hero controlled by some generic AI. Player can only affect in which lane the hero will attack. (The AoS and hero AI are basically done by now)

The terrain needs some work, I am creating an improved version already, however I have a problem with making bridges work, if anyone knows please tell me.
attachment.php

(The text of the lightning strike card is some rubbish, the real game texts will be simple and informative, like "does 50 damage to single target")

Casting the lighting strike:
attachment.php

The rules of the card part of the game are simple, obviously every player has his own deck and 5 cards on hand. As long as the player has fewer cards than five, the 10 second "draw timer" is on. That basically means that player recieves a card every ten seconds, but the timer starts when he empties a "slot" in the hand.
Players have one resource, Minerals. The maximum stock of minerals is 5, and they are most commonly generated through mineral fields (units that simply generate a mineral every 20 seconds)
The basic card types so far are Spells (instant effects on battlefield), Spawns (spawn some unit, mostly support units, like resource generators), Items (passive bonuses, limited to slots) and Skills (active, cost energy, AI controls their usage)

I welcome any criticism here (don't hold back, I am not considering this a serious project :grin:) and mostly ideas, I have very little ideas on the cards as well as where the strategic points of this game should be (so far it's card cycling and mineral management (keeping it from overflowing))

Attachments

• Screenshot000.Jpg
    Screenshot000.Jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 608
  • Screenshot001.Jpg
    Screenshot001.Jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 545
Level 9
Nice,I was actually planning on making an AOS card game I just don't know how to make the card, deck system..but for the AOS part I have a few ideas, strategy wise..It would be great if you could help me with the card game part since you already got it figured out..

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Making something like battleforge would be cool

Level 9
Yup I was actually thinking something like that combined with the old game called Sacrifice.I wonder if anyone knows that game..

Level 12
Me neither.

I also don't have the card game part complete, I didn't think of good way for a deck system yet. As for cards, I use simple dialogs, and card effects are so far done through game effects (the thing called effects in data editor), I just save a single effect and it's targeting type for every card. That allows me to save all data of a card into a simple record, of which I have array.
It's not actually a good solution. I just found about catalogs (a way to read data directly from .xml files), so propably I am going to change this system by abusing some simple data type (like "item class", that has just 5 different string values) to store all cards outside script.

EDIT: After studying catalogs a bit more I think I could use Effects to store card information. I'll use "Set" effect as wrapup for the real card effect, and store most of the information inside TechTreeAliases array (I think that since I am not using any techtree requirements, putting "random" values in this field won't cause anything)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.