• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Misc] Making a Unit into a Hero (3 Steps)

Level 6

Making a Unit into a Hero

Converting a non-hero unit to a hero
Rui said:
It is not possible to actually convert a unit to a hero directly. But you can always copy all the important stats, models, abilities and paste them on to the other character.
This tutorial will show you how to make a unit a hero. (This way is much easier)
Required: Jass Newgen Pack
Optional: Hero Glow Model (For adding hero glow to the unit.)

Step 1: Select the Hero-to-be

In the object editor under the unit tap, highlight the unit you want to be a hero. Ctrl + C (Copy) then Ctrl + V (Paste) I will use the Peasant as an example.
HighlightUnit.jpg

Step 2: The Unit ID

After pasting, this will pop up:
UnitID.jpg

Just change the lower-case 'h' into a upper-case 'H' (you may change the other three [3] characters if you wish) and click 'Ok'

Step 3: Setup the New Hero

Under Custom Units, he is now a hero.
HeroPeasant.jpg

There are a few things you need to setup:
SetupHeroStats-1.jpg

You may keep these values, but...
NotRecamended.jpg

Not Recommended!
Also doesn't add hero glow, here is a tutorial to add the hero glow:How Add Hero Glow Without Modeling

I hope everyone at the Hive will find this tutorial helpful for making heroes faster.

Last edited:
Level 13
You can download the hero glow here on hive. How to attach it I'm not aware.

Level 6
I believe you make a buff with no icon, change the target art to the Hero Glow model, make sure the target attachment is origin and give it to the unit.
Pyritie said:
I should also mention that you should use an ability like the healing fountain's AoE heal as a dummy ability. That one changes the attachment's team color when the unit has that ability.

Last edited:
Level 24
Everyone I know of makes heroes by basing their custom unit of a existing hero and changing the values of each field, and with that said, I really don't find this useful, seeing how mappers are already used to making heroes another way than this tutorial teaches. I'm also wondering how much time you actually save by doing it this way, it's probably something like a minute, at most.

Level 6
If you're making a hero arena, this may save you quite a bit of time.

@-Kobas-: This is Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. You're just copying a unit and making him a hero without copying another hero and changing everything on him to make him like another unit.

Level 31
If you're making a hero arena, this may save you quite a bit of time.

@-Kobas-: This is Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. You're just copying a unit and making him a hero without copying another hero and changing everything on him to make him like another unit.

this doesn't make any sense.

cause if you copy and paste a unit as a hero just like your tutorial shown, you still got to setup the attributes of the hero just like what people normally do to normal heroes.

the only thing differences between your tutorial and this method is that one need to change the icon and model of the hero to make it look as different unit while the other change the unit id from "h" to "H"

if people are planning to use custom model/icon, then this tutorial have no purpose at all.

in other word, it only work for non-hero unit who you are planning to make it into hero unit without using custom model/icon that barely saves 3 seconds of times in map editing.

Level 6
Last edited:
You can graveyard it, I just thought I found out something cool and useful and decided to tell others, but if you think it's useless it's your choice.

It is useful! I just think it doesn't warrant a tutorial, mostly for its length. Many people are not aware of this, and it can certainly save time, and is just a neat technique to know in general. If there was a "tips" thread, this would certainly make a great addition. =)

Anyway, I'll go ahead and graveyard it then.