1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll has begun! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Tutorial-Making a hero

Discussion in '"Graveyard"' started by Global_idiot, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Global_idiot

Global_idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Object Editor-Basics

Object Editor-Basics

In past few weeks i have seen a lot of people asking how to this and that.., so i made this "tutorial" that explains some of the basic stuff in object editor.

1.UNITS:

1.0 Create/open a map
    1.1 Search for the "object editor" in the tool bar, or press F6
    1.2 Click on the little map icon, with the right mouse button, and chose "New custom unit..." New Unit.jpg
    1.3 We will take the "Blood Mage" as a custom unit, click on Blood Mage, than give him a name(in this case it will be "Fire Mage") and press OK

And now the fun part begins :) (for easier following the tutorial, search for "View" and tick the "Sort objects by name" view.jpg

1.4 Abilities - Default this are the abilities that the unit always have like, like heal on sorceress
    Abilities - Hero the hero abilities
    Abilities -Normal this are the abilities as are: invertory, permantent immolation, shop sharing, etc.,
    in our case those abilities are inventory(hero) sphere(sphere are the things that flies around the hero, its only an effect)

Art -icon - game interface
    - this is an icon that shows in game/hero icon(the icon in upper left corner of the screen)
    Art -icon - score screen icon that shows the icon of your hero at the end of the game
    Art -maximum pitch angle - click on this, if you want to change the unit angle(like the default is 10 and the unit stands like this | if you want to set it like this / click on that line hold SHIFT and press ENTER than wrote an negative value like -45, and hit the ENTER again)
    Art -model file change the model of this unit, click on it and browse and select the model you like
    Art -scaling value by clicking on this and setting values 2 = 2x size of original unit, 3 =3x size of original unit, etc. setting it as 0.50 = half size of a unit, etc.
    Art - selection scale by changing the values, you will change the size of a circle around the unit when you select it NOTE:the best way for this value is that you set the same value here as you set it for scaling value (like scaling value = 2 than the selection scale =2)
    Art - shadow if you don't like the shadow you can set it to NONE
    Art - tinting color setting the all values to less than 255 will result in darker color, by setting them all to 0 , the model will be all black

Combat - acquisition range
    this is the range from where the unit will attack automaticly, if the unit is out of that range this unit will not attack.
    Combat - attack type browse between the attack types
    Combat - cool down this is how fast your unit attacks
    Combat - arc this is the projectile height setting it to 0.00 the projectile will fly straight,by setting it to 0.10 and + , higher will the projectile fly
    Combat - projectile model browse between the models and chose the one you like
    Combat - projectile speed how fast the projectile is
    Combat - range this is the range of attack
    Combat - targets types whitch targets are you able to attack( tick those you wish to)
    Combat - (the same goes for attack 2)
    Combat - attacks enabled browse between attack 1/attack 2/both/none

Movement - height
    set the height of flying units

1.8 Pathing - colision size this is how much the unit is material, by setting the value to 0 other unit can walk trough this unit

Sound - unit sound set
    browse between the sound sets and chose the one you like

Stats - agility
    per level how much agility the hero gains per level
    Stats - inteligence per level how much inteligence the hero gains per level
    Stats - strenght per level how much strenght the hero gains per level
    Stats - primary atribute atribute that hero have(strenght for meele heroes, agility for fast attack speed heroes, and inteligence for spell based heroes)
    Stats - sight radius day/night how far does the units see at night and day light
    Stats - starting agility/strenght/inteligence the atributes that the hero have on lvl1

Text
    - name of hero, and other tooltips for that unit

NOTE: Custom Heroes can only be made out of a default Hero(follow the tutorial), you can't made them out of a footman or peon or another non-hero unit.

Coming soon: 2.Abilities-basics

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Use bold and color tags on the main points (the 1.# parts) so that it will stick out more and help have it organized.

3. Global_idiot

Global_idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    thx for the tip, ill edit it latter when ill have some more time.

4. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    So, umm, where's the actual tutorial, or are you still working on it?

~Deathcom3s

5. Global_idiot

Global_idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    It isnt so easy as think it is, to make a tutorial, but ill do my best to submit all ob the basics of OE, this will might take a week or two. My idea was to first submit basics units abilities upgrades and stuff ant than do the real tutorial.

6. Da)sniper

Da)sniper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good start for a tutorial definatly edit it and add. Good job though!

7. bigDino

bigDino

Resources:
    Resources:
    i have a question, do you know how to raise a hero's level higher than 10, e.g. hero line wars, hero siege, etc.

8. Da)sniper

Da)sniper

Resources:
    Resources:
    go under the main editor go to advanced>map prefences (something like that) and look for hero. It should be there

9. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I find this to be a little too basic. Can you find some way to expand it?

Perhaps describe what every field is about and what it does in the object editor.
    I was thinking of something like they have over here. Catch my drift?

10. bigDino

bigDino

Resources:
    Resources:
    ohh thanks alot :thumbs_up:

11. Gladin

Gladin

Resources:
    Resources:
    bigDino, go here:
    Gameplay --> Gameplay Constants, check the box saying "Use Custom Gameplay Constants", and scroll down to the Hero section. Somewhere it should say "Hero Maximum Level". Change this to what you want.
    Also, if you want to gain exp for creeps when you're over level 5, go to "Hero Exp Gained - Creep Reduction Table" and change it to how much exp you want to get at each level. I usually just change them all to 80, like at level 1.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  12. underscore

underscore

Resources:
    Resources:
    This really is a basic thing. But thanks for the tutorial. I hope it helped beginners in WE out. =-)

13. Global_idiot

Global_idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    As you guys see im no longer active, because of some insulting users, calling me ******,*****,****** <-Yeah.

so if some one is interested to continue this tutorial can just copy this tutorial, and write a tutorial about abilities, items etc. and create a new thread.
    And admin delete this one.

This is probably my last post, so Hive stay alive, and ban fucking retarded noob kids with no respect, ban their fucking IP send them a Virus that will burn out their PC.

Cya people!

14. Matrix

Matrix

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Global_idiot nice job but i think it is obvious and all know that.
    But still for new mapmaker it must be a nice start

offtop://
    Ewery one!=Everyone