• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Making a stereo become 3D Sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
The tittle shows all what i need.
Is there any way to make stereo wav sound become 3D? i found that in war3editor, the sound which only has 1 channel can become a 3D sound (1 channel means mono sound)

But here is a problem, some of the sounds (not from game), in this case the Sun Strike Impact sound from Dota 2, default is Stereo (2 Channels), when i saved it and changed into Mono (1 Channel) it did lost some effects sound.

Attachment below for more explaination.

Attachments

• Sun Strike Mono & Stereo.zip
    497.8 KB · Views: 47
Level 20
Merging the stereo tracks to a mono track somehow changes the sound (tried with audacity and got the same result as you did).
Deleting one of the two stereo tracks and setting the remaining track to mono gives better results, although it's probably not as good as the original stereo one.
You have to decide whether or not it is good enough for you.

Attachments

• Sun Strike Impact (Mono)_v2.zip
    60 KB · Views: 88
Level 5
Merging the stereo tracks to a mono track somehow changes the sound (tried with audacity and got the same result as you did).
Deleting one of the two stereo tracks and setting the remaining track to mono gives better results, although it's probably not as good as the original stereo one.
You have to decide whether or not it is good enough for you.

I think its good enough for me tho. Thanks buddy, sorry for late respond, btw can you show me how you do it?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That would be the case if the sound is out of phase. Simple merging would result in cancelation so it would start to sound very different.

Removing one channel may or may not work. If the channels are very directional it might lose a sound source completely (the one microphone did not pick it up). If they were vaguely directional then some sound sources could sound more quiet than others.

Merging the sound channels might be possible in the frequency domain. This does not suffer cancelation and at most could cause artefacts from phase distortion (doubt you will hear them). The problem would be determining a merging algorithm that does not distort the sound as I doubt simply summing all frequencies together would produce good results (but might be worth a try).

Status
Not open for further replies.