• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Mapping] Making a map Unique

This is a short tutorial on making you warcraft 3 map different to others it does not tell you what to do but it gives ideas.

Contents
Ideas
Systems
Units
Ability's
Items

Ideas

Fist off you need to think will my map be played, will it be enjoyed, will it make people play again. if you answer no to any of these questions then this guide will help make your idea a unique map.

Make sure all the ideas have fit the map theam
for example having an ORPG with no save/load system is not a good idea or a hero wars with no heroes.

your map does not have to be compleatly different from others you can still make it into a ORPG, RPG, Footman Wars, Hero Wars, Hero Line Wars, Click was, AOS and so on just because the style has been used before does not mean it wont be unique but having and idea that is new and has not been used before is a good start this will already make your map unique.

Systems

Having systems in you map can be a good way to make it unique because there are some good systems that are rarely used like changing a units form through a dialogue and then create a special effect at all the map i have played i have never seen this done systems could also include having different rarity of items this will be good for an RPG or an ORPG from the boss drops i have only seen this once. Thinking of your own systems would add a good effect to your map because they will be new and original players like me like originality in maps it gets quit boring if most maps have the same systems in.

Units

DO NOT copy heroes of other peoples games this will look bad as i have seen living rock (footman wars) in many maps with the same outcome they have slow movement high damage and slow attack speed this unit is overused and will look bad.

Make sure that the units you make fit the theam of your map doing this will add a good luck to your map. It will not look good if you are getting attacked by Humans and then it changes to Orcs.

if making and AOS styled map making the units overpowerd is not advised because this will make it look like DOTA.

having custom models that are made by you is a great bonus the wont be seen anywhere else (unless unprotected map) if you cant model then using models that are rarely seen will make it look more unique because over used custom models become like the regular Warcraft 3 models.

Ability's

making custom abilitys instead of using the regular spells will make it more unique but copying spells of OTHER peoples maps will be cheating and will make you map look bad. it is advised to enhance you spells with triggers weather it be in GUI, Jass or Vjass this will make you map unique because people like to see none basic ability's having your own idea will help make it unique (remember protect your map if you don't want people to use your spells). a good idea to enhance a spell is using the ability reincarnation instead of just reviving the hero it could give stars bonus or decrease stats or it could just bring undead monsters back.

Items

Items are a key to making a map unique along with units. having items though up by you and having trigger enhanced ability's with them can really make your map unique however if you get the item name/ability of other maps it will make your map unpopular.

here can be intercorrelated in lots of different systems for you items from drops systems to identifying systems. the systems you use can depend on what type of map it is.

Make items that fit the game type if it is some sort of ancient battle then adding Gun ammo will not be a good idea.

i hope you find may tutorial good if it needs any improvements comment on it make sure its constructive so i can change it

Last edited:
Level 6
Correct your spelling using the built-in word correcter. This is how it should look like.

This is a short tutorial on making your Warcraft 3 map different to others it does not tell you what to do but it gives ideas.

Contents
Ideas
Systems
Units
Abilities
Items

Ideas

Fist off you need to think will my map be played, will it be enjoyed, will it make people play again. If you answer no to any of these questions then this guide will help make your idea a unique map.

Make sure all the ideas have fit the map theme
For example having an ORPG with no save/load system is not a good idea or a hero wars with no heroes.

your map does not have to be completely different from others you can still make it into a ORPG, RPG, Footman Wars, Hero Wars, Hero Line Wars, Click was, AOS and so on just because the style has been used before does not mean it wont be unique but having and idea that is new and has not been used before is a good start this will already make your map unique.

Systems

Having systems in you map can be a good way to make it unique because there are some good systems that are rarely used like changing a units form through a dialogue and then create a special effect at all the map I have played I have never seen this done systems could also include having different rarity of items this will be good for an RPG or an ORPG from the boss drops I have only seen this once. Thinking of your own systems would add a good effect to your map because they will be new and original players like me like originality in maps it gets quit boring if most maps have the same systems in.

Units

DO NOT copy heroes of other peoples games this will look bad as i have seen living rock (footman wars) in many maps with the same outcome they have slow movement high damage and slow attack speed this unit is overused and will look bad.

Make sure that the units you make fit the theme of your map doing this will add a good luck to your map. It will not look good if you are getting attacked by Humans and then it changes to Orcs.

if making and AOS styled map making the units overpowered is not advised because this will make it look like DOTA.

having custom models that are made by you is a great bonus the wont be seen anywhere else (unless unprotected map) if you cant model then using models that are rarely seen will make it look more unique because over used custom models become like the regular Warcraft 3 models.

Abilities

Making custom abilities instead of using the regular spells will make it more unique but copying spells of OTHER people’s maps will be cheating and will make you map look bad. it is advised to enhance you spells with triggers weather it be in GUI, Jass or Vjass this will make you map unique because people like to see none basic ability's having your own idea will help make it unique (remember protect your map if you don't want people to use your spells). a good idea to enhance a spell is using the ability reincarnation instead of just reviving the hero it could give stars bonus or decrease stats or it could just bring undead monsters back.

Items

Items are a key to making a map unique along with units. Having items though up by you and having trigger enhanced ability's with them can really make your map unique however if you get the item name/ability of other maps it will make your map unpopular.

Here can be inter correlated in lots of different systems for you items from drops systems to identifying systems. The systems you use can depend on what type of map it is.

Make items that fit the game type if it is some sort of ancient battle then adding Gun ammo will not be a good idea.

I hope you find may tutorial good if it needs any improvements comment on it make sure its constructive so I can change it