• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to add a good map description :)

Level 7
Map Descriptions
Finally Post a good map description
by Lag_Reviews

Difficulty:
[3/10] Easy

Hey all,
I'm Lag_reviews maybe you know me, maybe not.
Anyways, I am going to teach you how to make an awesome map description, as I am fed up with the tiny 2 line descriptions everyone posts.

Here it is, The Guide to map descriptions

Good to see you are willing to upload a map you have made to Hiveworkshop.

But first there are a few things in making the map stand out from the rest and making people say "Wow it sounds good" I better try it.

Although Do not lie about your map or people will get so angry no1 would download your map.

How this works optional things are optional you do not need to add them but they would help and Necessary things are things that should be added if you want to have any succession of the map.

Okay how to make a good description of your map:

First Off:

Adding a Youtube video of some of the features in your game can make wanting to play or download a map even more worth it.

Adding in-game screenshots to your description can make people feel like they are actually playing the game and makes them want to download the map.

Just put a few action packed screen-shots, feature screen shots and or terrain shots in here to make the people looking at them say WOW and want to download it based off the screen-shots.

images

Just adding a description of the game can tell people what it is about, so they are not left worrying what the main objective is.

Tell them the aim of the game or the objective in a few words but be brief do not destroy the storyline.

For example: The aim of the game is to get a hero and work your way up to the enemy base and destroy there citadel or tree depending if you are on scourge or sentinel team.

Here is another example of the description of the game:

For example: (Name of map) is an AOS type map where 2 teams scourge and sentinel of 5-8 battle it out to destroy there enemies main building and stop creep production for ever.

Adding a How to Play description tells the person a brief overview of how to play the map.

Basically tell them what you have to do when the map starts and how to win, be brief and only tell them the main steps.

For example: First you choose a team sentinel or scourge.
Then when the map has loaded you choose a hero.
Then you go an level up your hero by killing creeps/other heroes in an attempt to destroy the enemy citadel or tree.

Adding features to the description can help people understand why they should download it and what makes the map unique.

Basically, just tell the people what makes your map unique and different from all other maps on Hiveworkshop. This will tell them it is not a copy and past job.

For Example:This map has 200 custom heroes
400 custom items
500 custom spells and upgrades
30 custom unit
70 custom models
a new inventory interface
a unique attacking system

Including a change-log can help people understand why you updated the map and what updates are there.

Here is where you tell people what you have added in this update, so people are not left confused to why you updated the map.

For example: In this update we have added 10 new heroes and changed the death lightning spell so it would look better when casted and not poison you. Plus we have added a few new terrain features to make walking around the map even more exciting

Basically adding a few up-coming updates in the next version release, tells people what they can expect and make them suspenseful and want to download the map the second it releases.

For example: 3 new models, 5 hero reworks, 6new heroes, 10new spells, 56new items, price rework and manor regen interface.

Always include the credits or people will think you made the whole map when you didn't and then someone who contributed to the map will be real angry because you took all the credit.

Credits:
Lag_reviews - for models
Lag_reviews1 - for spells
Lag_reviews2- for interfaces
Lag_reviews3- for terrain
Lag_reviews4- Main Creator

Hope this helped you understand how to make a good description for your map and that this review was useful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

- Lag_Reviews :grin:

PS: All the example's up there are just examples to give you a brief look at what can be expected and does not necessarily have to be followed. I based the examples off a dota map.

Last edited:
Level 15
3/5

needs to be more organized and numbered (or in list form...), the idea is good but you don't get those 2 points because of disorganization (that's a word? o_O). use a Table of Contents style.

and make sure you have the "(optional)" label where it needs to go (like the video part), next to the topic title.

and btw use a hide tag on the video too, and for a bonus, write (video), (picture), or (text) on the label, but that's just me, though maybe don't do that, it's dumb.

Level 7
Should I use yours?

Hey Apocalypse,

Thank-you for posting on my map description thread! It is a pleasure, although I was wondering if you are trying to hint for me to disregard my thread and use yours?

So, Should I be using your description thread instead of mine?

Thank-you again for posting on my thread,
Lag_Reviews :p

Level 28
Well, it just seemed useless to create a tutorial that has already been created o_O
I don't think that the hive will accept a tutorial that's already in the database.

Of course there are exceptions:
If your tutorial handles a completely different topic than mine, or approaches it from a different angle, I see no problem with it, but now... you basically say what my tutorial also says (though a bit shorter) :/

Level 7
Well, it just seemed useless to create a tutorial that has already been created o_O
I don't think that the hive will accept a tutorial that's already in the database.

Of course there are exceptions:
If your tutorial handles a completely different topic than mine, or approaches it from a different angle, I see no problem with it, but now... you basically say what my tutorial also says (though a bit shorter) :/

Okay, I will probably start using your tutorial and telling people to go to it.

Thanks for letting me know it existed and that mine shouldn't be used :p,
Lag_Reviews :grin:

Level 7
what?

Because there is an already existing tutorial of what I deem to be higher quality this will be Rejected.

Thanks for being so amicable about it.

ap0calypse already alerted me of the higher standard map description tutorial thread than mine.

I already have started telling people if they need help on the description to visit it.

So, I understand this will probably be rejected.

Thanks for telling me it would be rejected even though I already knew that after ap0calypse told me about his thread,
Lag_Reviews

PS: By your remark of you saying "Good to see you are being more amicable" Does that mean I wasn't being friendly enough?

Last edited: