• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making a Ghost Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I wanna make a ghost ship in the editor. I wanted to use a normal ship model and than editing the transperence and color so that it his half invisible and glowing, but how can i do that?

Level 12
Uh, to my knowledge that's not possible without editing the model. xD

You should still be able to change the color, and I suppose if you want it to look transparent you could give it permanent hide like Akama.

So, I suppose it's possible I dunno why I said that what I said at first. =O

Level 12
Uh, to my knowledge that's not possible without editing the model. xD

You should still be able to change the color, and I suppose if you want it to look transparent you could give it permanent hide like Akama.

So, I suppose it's possible I dunno why I said that what I said at first. =O

Hush.

It is possible to do this without editing the model; Quite simply by using triggers. (I dont have access to war3 right now, this is from memory)

Note: Transperancy may be typed as Opacity in the editor.

• Animation - Set Transperancy of unit to XX
Or

• Animation - Set color of unit to XXX, XXX, XXX and transperancy to XXX
One of these triggers is the right one, you have to set the event so that when the "Ship enters map" then run said trigger for the "Triggering unit", setting the transperancy to what you want.

Level 33
  • Animation - Change Ghost Ship 0000 <gen>'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 50.00% transparency
Since you can't do this in Object Editor (not pre-set unit), use this trigger instead:
  • Transparent
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Ghost Ship
    • Actions
      • Animation - Change (Triggering unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 50.00% transparency

Level 37
^The trigger that defskull posted will change the transparency of units that are created during the game.

This will change the transparency of all existing units of the defined type, you can run this at map initialization for example:
  • Untitled Trigger 060
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Ghost ship)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Animation - Change (Picked unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 50.00% transparency

Level 5
Okay now i know how to edit an existing unit. But how can i make it work, that when i start to create a unit in a building for example like soldiers or zeppelins and ships, that the unit has the ghostly look?

Level 5
You can buy or rent ships at a port ingame and you can create units in the barracks. What i mean is that it should work like this: You have a building and that offers the ship, you start creating the ship and when the ship appears it's already ghost like. So the ship should be already look like a ghost ship before the creating progress is over.

Level 33
  • Ghost Ship
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes training a unit
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Trained unit)) Equal to *YourUnit*
    • Actions
      • Animation - Change (Trained unit)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 50.00% transparency

Level 5
Okay, i made two different units. And if some of them are already on the map or i create them after the map's start they should be like the ghost ship. It's not that easy, i placed a few of them on my map but i can't make a trigger which changes the type of the certain units to ghost units.

Level 37
For units that are created during the game:
  • Untitled Trigger 088
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Ghost ship
    • Actions
      • *Manipulate Triggering unit*
For pre-placed units:
  • Untitled Trigger 088
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Ghost ship)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • *Manipulate Picked unit*

Level 5
I need two triggers, one which changes a specific type of units that are already on the map to look like ghosts and second a trigger which changes units to look like ghosts after they were created.

Bump.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all you should do:

• Events
    • Map Initialization
  • Condition
  • Actions
    • Animation - Change (Random Unit from (Units in (Playable Map Area) matching ((Unit-type of (Matching Unit) equal to Ghost Ship)))'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 50.00% transparency
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Random Unit from (Units in (Playable Map Area) matching ((Unit-type of (Matching Unit) equal to Ghost Ship))) using units\undead\PlagueCloud\PlagueCloud.mdl
You will get a nice model of an scary ghost ship. I think it is better to use undead ship for this, but it is completely your choice. Also, I could make you a model of a ghost ship if you want. Just contact me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.