• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making a Dummy cast a Custom Spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have tried looking around everywhere on google but to no success. I am trying to understand how dummys work and have read through several guides, but I still don´t understand how the trigger works.

The trigger I have as an example is Non-Channel blizzard spell. What I don´t understand is why we have the Action to add the Dummy spell (the spell going to be used by the dummy), but there is no action in the trigger to actually make the dummy use the spell itself. The next action is "Unit - Order (Last created unit) to "Human Archmage - Blizzard (Target point of ability being cast). That is the dummy is casting some other blizzard spell and not the "dummy blizzard"?

And theoretically what happens if I want the dummy to cast a custom spell which has no "Order to" example? I can´t sadly give an example of this though, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Finally I would like to ask someone to help me create a trigger which not only causes blizzard to be non-channeled, but also slow the targets affected? Please keep in mind that I am a complete newbie when it comes to WC3 Editor so please be thorough!

Cheers and Thanks for being the masters of Wc3 Editor.

Level 24
Each custom spell can wear a different icon and different name however they are "children" the same "parent" spell they were copied from, therefore to cast any custom ability based on the firebolt spell you would need to then find "neutral hostile - Firebolt" order in order (lol) to order the dummy unit to cast it.

Example: you can have 5 variations of blizzard with different damage, radius, and duration, and with the "Human Archmage - Blizzard" will cast them all, given that the unit has only one of them at a given time, due to the overlap of giving a unit two abilities with the same "order ID: blizzard" will cause the only one to be cast regardless of which spell is cast.

You can find an ability's base order id to reveal what it is actually based upon.

As for "no order" do you mean no target? like slam or roar?

I would most certainly be happy to help with your last request but It would be later tonight as I'm still away from my main computer.

EDIT: I think Bribe's Spell System actually has a triggered version of Blizzard, toy with it for a bit and I 'll come later tonight to see if I can't make it per your request

EDIT 2: Wow he most certainly did have the spell and it was super duper easy to make.
Credit Bribe!

I highly recommend downloading a couple spells from the spells section of the website, crack'em open and see how they work, This is how I learned (Note: do not do this to living things IRL).

Also read into Memory Leaks if you ever plan on releasing anything publicly

Attachments

• Blizzard no channel for Addicted 2018-12-13.w3x
    52.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Some unit/hero spells in object Editor print order "none", but they still have an orderString (finger of death, firebolt, inferno....).
For clones of item Spells owned by units (not on items): you most times have to order abilities by OrderId and use a jass line.
For Items there are actions in the hero action section.

Status
Not open for further replies.