• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Make unit deal more damage to a specific unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello! What is the best way to make a unit deal more damage to a specific unit? Not towards unit classifications or armor types but a single specific unit. I want my archers to deal more damage against trolls in my game, and I know a basic way to trigger this in which I use the event "unit is attacked" add the type of attacking unit and attacked unit and add the triggered damage. The problem is the triggered damage is dealt as soon as the attacking unit targets the specific unit and not when the projectile hits. Thanks for your time :)

I have a slightly less complicated suggestion ... but it might not be that much less complex. It does not involve triggers, rather it uses gameplay constants. You could go into gameplay constants and create a new type of armor and a new type of attack. Ok, so not a 'new' type, but rename an old one that is not being used. For example call divine armor, "troll armor" and divine attack "Arrows." Now change the tooltip explanations in game interface. Then back to constants to adjust the damage that divine ... oops, now Arrow attack does against "troll armor" and set the rest of that damages to match piercing and the rest of the armor settings to match metal or something. It is possible this may affect the sound of the attacks and hits as well, so check for that. If so, you may need to reset the sounds in ... eeerrrrrrr ... sound editor .. yes, that will work. Export the sounds you want and replace the sounds you don't need. Though I'm not sure what the divine strike sounds like.

Level 12
I don't know if this will do what you need, but you could maybe use that ability (I forget the name, unfortunately) that reduces damage taken from ranged attacks. You could maybe fiddle with the values on that ability (negative values if necessary) to make it so the units take extra damage from ranged attacks instead.

Don't know if that fits your requirements, though.

Level 11
I don't know if this will do what you need, but you could maybe use that ability (I forget the name, unfortunately) that reduces damage taken from ranged attacks. You could maybe fiddle with the values on that ability (negative values if necessary) to make it so the units take extra damage from ranged attacks instead.

Don't know if that fits your requirements, though.

Defend reduces magic and piercing damage, you could give your trolls that ability with negative values - but then all units with piercing or magic would deal extra damage to them.

The closest thing I can think of for what you want is in Legion TD with the Melai unit, attacked units get a buff that makes them take 120% damage from piercing attacks, but I don't know which ability/buff they use for the base (unless it's triggered completely).

Defend reduces magic and piercing damage, you could give your trolls that ability with negative values - but then all units with piercing or magic would deal extra damage to them.
Actually, that is better than mine. This is the simplest solution so far. Make a defend ability with negative damage ratio. This will cause more damage instead of less. Remove the icon and make it an item ability and the icon won't show up. The only problem is that it will not be just archers but all piercing attacks that do extra damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.