• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Majoras Mask ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've been thinking about this project for a long time but i've not really played around in world editor that much.

Anyway, here goes!

Description
The moon is falling toward the land of Termina, something evil has come to this world.
With only 72 hours untill the world ends the great races send out every potential hero they can spare.

You and your friends have to band together and release the four gods locked in the temples of the land.

Play as a Deku shrub, Zora, Goron (more to come), and fight epic bosses, solve puzzles, interact and change the the lives of the inhabitants of this world.

The map will be based of the N64 game 'Zelda Majoras Mask' but the difference is that Link never came to Termina.

The map will last for 1.5 hours (30 minutes = one day(may change depending on how everything works)).
The players will have to save their characters with save codes and start a new game (resetting the three days)

Planned stuff
  • Lots of sidequests and stuff to do just like the original game has, I'll try to include everything that can be done from the original game.
  • Items like the Hookshot, bombs and other classic items.
  • Scripted bossfights
  • Lots of Puzzle solving (teamwork & solo)
  • Perhaps a few masks, but i'm thinking about not adding masks so the players will have to solve the sidequests in another way than Link does in the original game.
  • Backpack system like a few other maps have.
  • Bottle system (explanation: the backpack will have 4 out of the 6 slots occupied with undroppable bottles (who will not be unlocked unless you do the right quests) who will work almost the same way as the DotA bottle).
  • Playable races: Deku shrub, Goron, Zora (more to come, that's why i'm posting in the idéas section)

Races
  • Goron
  • Zora
  • Deku shrub
(these could possibly have 2-3 classes each because i can't really come up with that many more races from the LoZ universe.)

Umm...yeah, i think thats it for the moment.
Is this something you would like to see made?
Do you think it can be done as an ORPG in under 4mbit for battlenet?
Idéas and suggestions most welcomed!

Oh and...have this already been done? I've seen a Zelda ORPG that's based on OOT floating around but i don't check Singleplayer RPGs that much.

Last edited:
Level 3
This is a really novel idea. Most ORPGs are just that: open. The setting of Majora's Mask, with it's many quests and areas, provides a great opportunity for nonlinear play and exploration. Mixing this in with the central storyline of the moon falling on the world, and you create a co-operative goal for all the players to work toward as they do their quests.

However, I think it should be possible to reset while playing the game, rather than forcing players to leave and start a new game. Triggering something like this would be mind-boggling, I imagine, which is why you went with the "full scenario restart" idea. If players could play the full game in one sitting, without having to restart to time-travel, there would be an added element of teamwork as each player tries to fulfill separate objectives, or work together on the same one. It would also change the pace of the game progress; doing it like this would have to make the main goal easier to achieve in a short time, but full completion would require more time/resets.

I would suggest keeping the number of playable classes low, so you can focus more on the puzzle-based action.

I think you might also benefit from making the general scale (model and collision) of everything slightly smaller, so as to squeeze more room out of what should be an Epic-size map packed full with content and little to no wasted space. Most cinematic sequences will have to be "live", that is, alongside gameplay without pausing to enter cinematic mode—players in different areas will be experiencing different things and shouldn't be hampered by others' activity.

Level 2
However, I think it should be possible to reset while playing the game, rather than forcing players to leave and start a new game.
Yeah, this shouldnt be too hard with some triggering...
I just think the time reset is the best reason ever to whipe the map of items and leaks.

I forgot to add that the storyteller grandmother will probably be there and make the option available to skip to next night/day by voting among the players. It would totally suck if everyone was done with the early quests they had and had to wait like 40 min for something to happen.
I would suggest keeping the number of playable classes low, so you can focus more on the puzzle-based action.
Agreed, but still 3 classes is too few, i need about 5 or something.
I think you might also benefit from making the general scale (model and collision) of everything slightly smaller, so as to squeeze more room out of what should be an Epic-size map packed full with content and little to no wasted space. Most cinematic sequences will have to be "live", that is, alongside gameplay without pausing to enter cinematic mode—players in different areas will be experiencing different things and shouldn't be hampered by others' activity.
I've already planned on scaling everything down to make room for more stuff.

And there wont be that many cinematics i think but it's a good idea to have it happen live with invulnerability or something.

I'm thinking about having atleast an end cinematic for the end of the world if they don't reset time just for fun. And a "press esc to quit" option so that you don't have to watch it everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.