• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Major ANNOYANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
it could be a number of things a virus with windows, Chitset updates needed, BOIS needs flashed, the last thing it could be is NAND flash chip failure in other words the jump drives Chips are wearing out but you shouldn't have a problem with that unless its defective.

Level 5
Try putting it in a port on the back of the comp, or change ports. The port might just have less power??

(I dont think thats the issue but its worth a try)

Level 12
it has something to do with a file called ghost.pif cause when i put it in my friend laptop which has vista it says error with f:\ghost.pif but there is no such file on my usb..........and i googled the file and it turns out its malware............how crude cause i can't find out how to get rid of it.......

Please help cause i hate right clicking to open my usb's and externals.......

Last edited:
Level 12
Minor, is your problem.

When you turn on your computer with Frozen Throne inside, the computer acts as if nothing's there and doesn't identify a disk.

Solution: Just use the autoplay. It's no big deal.

Hope I helped. :)

Level 12
ok i fixed it but i have 2 usb's and an external i fixed my 8gig usb and my external but when i inserted my 1 gig usb i became infected again......but what i did to fix it the first time wont work because the files i deleted are gone and the did not come back.....

The virus creates 2 files on the removable hardware.
an autorun.inf and ghost.pif which is an md-dos shourt cut.
When the hardware is place in a pc it creates a .pf file in the windows prefetch folder. the .pf file is called ghost-****-****-****-**** were * is a random number or letter.

Level 10
"Last week, Maxtor external hard drives in Taiwan were discovered to be preloaded with Trojan horse malware. Approximately 1800 units were contaminated, but only 300 were believed to be sold. Based in two files, autorun.inf and ghost.pif, the program was designed to automatically upload any saved data to two websites based in China: nice8.org and we168.org. (Source: taipeitimes.com)"

Do you live in Taiwan by any chance? :)

Level 15
Yes there is also the RaVmoNe infection on taiwan external hds also.
It makes log files in all your USB drives. What does it do, unknown yet.
Anyway I had the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.