• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mafia 1.55

Mafia is just like the party game; there are mafia and there are townies - one side wants the other to die.
I have started to "Protect" this map, to offer security to myself and compressing the size even more.

Each day, the players vote on someone to lynch.
Each night, the players carry out their special abilities (if they have one). I.E. The mafia will kill their target, the doctor will heal his target, etc.

This is a game of mystery, deceit, and social manipulation, in order to survive and achieve victory.

Features:
1. Currently 22 roles and counting
2. Seven variants and counting (normal, c9, godfather, metro, texas, haunted, custom)
3. Polished and well-tested gameplay
4. Custom chat systems, including after-death observer chat and for certain roles, nighttime chat
5. Immersive and adaptive environment

I've had a fair deal of creative license with these roles in order to make them work together in the greatest amount of ways possible.
Mafia Independent Undead Cult Town

Mafia Member: The standard bad guy. Talks to the other mafia at night and helps decide who to kill.
Townie: The standard good guy. Completely average and plain in every way.
Cop: Picks one person each night to check. Detects mafia alignment and independent/suspicious alignment, but cannot detect undead or cult alignment.
Doctor: Picks one person each night to protect from one attempted kill. In other words, if two people try to kill someone whom only a single doctor protects, that person will still die.

Godfather: Commands the existing Mafia Members and can convert Recruits and Prostitutes into Mafia Members and Whores respectively. Also, he can't be killed at night except by Terrorists, and always appears to be a Townie to Cops and Detectives.
Consigliere: Becomes the Godfather if the Godfather dies. Otherwise, acts as a mafia version of the Detective.
Surgeon: A mafia version of the Doctor.
Whore: A mafia version of the Prostitute.
Serial Killer: Wants to be the only man left in the town, so he can kill someone each night.
Recruit: A Townie until he is inducted into the Mafia.
Vigilante: The avatar of civil justice. He can kill someone each night. However, he has a limited amount of ammo (the exact amount depends on a variety of factors).
Detective: An upgraded Cop. He detects the exact role of his targets rather than just alignments, and can detect all alignments/roles, except for the Godfather.
Bus Driver: A pesky bastard. He can swap two players at night, redirecting every action that targets one player to the other.
Mason: A Townie, except that he can communicate with other Masons at night.
Prostitute: The good old hooker. Can roleblock one player each night, except for Bus Drivers (action ordering issues arise otherwise). Can be converted into a Whore by the Godfather, but this only changes her alignment, not her abilities.

Terrorist: The bastard of all bastards. His goal is have everyone die, including himself. If more than one Terrorist is in the game, they can work together toward this goal, but don't communicate with each other. The Terrorist's ability is to suicide bomb someone's house, which blows up everyone who visited that player that night, including (and especially) the Terrorist who did it. People hit by Terrorist attacks cannot survive, even if targeted by doctors.
Witch: The manipulator. His goal is to be the last one alive, which is a difficult task for a role that doesn't directly kill anyone. Can force his target to target someone of the Witch's choosing. This is very powerful if used wisely.
Zombie: The main undead role. He decides, with the other Zombies, the target for a Zombie raising. If the target is killed during that night, he will instead be revived and converted into a Zombie. This ability is hard to use but can be very powerful. He cannot be healed by a Doctor/Surgeon, but can be the target of a zombie raising.
Medium: The Medium sees dead people. Literally. At night, he can communicate with the dead players.
Cursed: A Townie. Converts into a Zombie when he is first "killed" by something else, excluding Terrorist attacks.
Cultist: Like a mason, except he has his own alignment group for himself.
Cult Leader: This guy turns anyone (except the undead, Cursed, Witches, Terrorists, or the Godfather) into a Cultist every night. He hears everything the Cultists say at night, but cannot speak back to them, meaning his identity is kept secret from them.

Bonus command: ".will TEXT" to write a last will that is displayed when you die.

1.55: Fixed the Medium slightly, fixed a couple other things. Added dynamic intro text (it no longer assumes that it's town vs mafia).

1.54: Fixed a Vigilante and a Bus Driver bug.

1.53: Fixed catastrophic Cult Leader and randomization bugs.

1.52: Several minor changes regarding many things, including the Vigilante and the Witch. Cultist and Cult Leader added. Haunted variant added.

1.50-1.51: Intermediate testing versions.

1.49: A few more quick fixes.

1.48: Quick fix and such.

1.47: More fixes and various under-the-hood changes, variable weather (a bunch of weather types that depend on who is winning (or not winning)), and such.

1.46: Test version.

1.45: The town's environment is living and adaptive now, and the whole setting is improved. There are many more camera angles now. The quests menu and the contents, as well as some instructions now change depending on the game's setup as to make it easier to learn and understand. Added the Medium role.

1.41-1.44: A bunch of changes and such culminating in bugs that needed to be fixed.

1.40: Some problems regarding witch/prostitute relations, and the failure-to-walk-back bug resolved.

1.39: Bugfixes, more general stuff I think, and Witch added.

1.35-1.38: I forget what happened...

1.34: Fixed a couple things; added slot shuffle; everyone's slot (position/color combo) is swapped around - meaning if you were red/host to begin with, you might end up as gray or blue, or whatever. The setup of the map remains the same however, as it starts with color red on the right and goes counterclockwise to brown, so it doesn't confuse anyone.

1.32-1.33: Intermediate test versions.

1.31: Even more problems, etc, fixed. Vigilante now has a limited amount of "kills" in the game. The number varies based on what the setup is.

1.30: Intermediate test version.

1.29: Hotfix for zombies.

1.28: A lot of bugs fixed, minor polishings, etc. Zombie and Cursed role options added. Custom music deleted due to neccessity.

1.21-1.27: A lot of intermediate fixings and such.

1.20 X: Compressed version; Download Here.

1.20: Quite a few bugfixes and minor changes.

1.19: Where all the bugs I know of are fixed! Anyway, the main addition to this is each player has a house behind him (can be blown up by the terrorist), and the players can walk around during the no-vote period during the day.

1.15-1.18: Even more intermediate versions with a shitload of amazingly horrible and hilarious bugs.

1.14: Eighth version today; even more bugs fixed. Hopefully there aren't any more left.

1.13: Terrorist bugs fixed.

1.12: Even more bugs fixed.

1.10-1.11: Intermediate versions.

1.09: Several bugs fixed, many many terrorist bugs fixed. Keep in mind the terrorist kills everyone who targets that player on that night, including the player if he didn't do anything.

1.08: Hopefully fixed a macintosh crash bug, and fixed the win condition bug.

1.07: Added Whore and Terrorist. The terrorist was a tough bitch to make. Also, several bugs are fixed.

1.06: Yet another bus bug is fixed, but this time at least it didn't affect gameplay.

1.05: Way too many versions today. This time, a potentially disastrous bug regarding the surgeon was fixed.

1.04: Several major bugs fixed.

1.03: Hotfixed a serious issue relating to voting WHILE DEAD.

1.02: Fixed a bug relating to buses.

1.01: Fixed a rare but critical group of bugs relating to doctors.

1.00: A couple of bugs fixed. Surgeon added, loading screen turned black, new ending music added.

0.99: A bug relating to the consigliere fixed.

0.98: A couple long-running bugs with voting and something else finally fixed.

0.97: Intermediate version with few real changes.

0.96: More bugs fixed.

0.95: Some bugs fixed.

0.94: Several newly-caused bugs fixed, along with the infamous "bus" bug. Hopefully prostitute ordering is arranged better now.

0.93: Metro variant added (equal parts Serial Killer, Prostitute, and Bus Driver), new hit-by-the-bus death scenario in cases where you kill yourself by targeting someone whom a bus driver swapped had with you (somewhat confusing, I know). New sound scheme added for some things. A couple bugs fixed.

0.01-0.92: Lots of stuff.

0.00: Yes, I did start at this number and I worked up one at a time. I.E. Version 1.00 is the 101st version.

Keywords:
mafia, party, real, life, town, village, town, doctor, cop, prostitute, bus, driver, zombie, card, card game
Contents

Mafia 1.55 (Map)

Level 16
this sounds kool, downloading...

ok i hosted and played...

1.the -done command didnt work wen i chose custom gameplay

ediit: at first i thought u can run around and stuff but the gameplay was different from what i thought
ITS SO FKEN AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Well for those who don't know what to do, it's based on the mafia party game if you ever played in social groups. We did that a few times when I was at school.

It's similar to the mafia forum games if you know about it.

Also the mafia card game, where the innocent get a red card, while mafia get a black card. Also works the same way mostly.

It's a fun social game where you try to find out who is the mafia and try to get them lynched, before you get outnumbered by the mafia. The mafia is in minority and needs to get rid of the town. They are the informed minority and know of each other. The townies want to get rid of the mafia and they are the uninformed majority, that means they don't know who's who.

This may not be that great in warcraft, but it's entertaining map to play and it's fun social clan game. However I won't recommend hosting it public cuz of the leavers ruins the entire gameplay. But it's still possible to play public, but unfortunately you will most likely have many leavers since they probably don't know of the map. Since I like it so much, 4/5.

edit_

YAY a small size version!! 5/5 of all sudded :D

Last edited:
Level 1
I just had to create an account to make a comment.

Firstly, EXCELLENT work. Truly a map of its own kind. I had so much fun after getting hooked onto it after one game and almost everyone else who plays, comes back for the RM. Great work, once again.

Though, I did meet with a certain bug or at least, in my case, it was. I played the "godfather" mode for about 8 times in a row, and unfortunately enough, I was "recruit" all the way, not once was the chain broken. So simply speaking, I haven't got a chance to play any other roles as long as it was that mode. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Level 2
WoW .. i really Love this map .. but still some changes need imo

1. there are huge times where you cant do something .. ( but i dont think you can do something about it )
2. could you shuffle the colours? cuz in our Gamegrp there is always hate against some1 ^^ and even if you name you else you will still get lynched cuz your colour .. that would be awesome

.. Thanks for such an awesome map and keep up the good work :D

Level 13
The filesize made me hate this now.

1.8mb is hardly a big deal. That's not even compressed. However, I can't compress it due to the map optimizer's bug with .wav files, which a couple of the crucial sounds in my map uses.

1.8mb is about the size of Battle Mages, not even as large as Phase Killer, so why don't you hate those maps, too?

Level 4
When I saw you had a new map I instantly dled ^^, (Phasekiller really rocked)
The moment I first played this map it was fun , and some time after .. (like 20 games XD)
it still was fun. The sounds , the mystery .. it all fits together, even the ending music.

Just some suggestion :
Maybe put a command in that the host can type in the end,
like -Rematch and -RematchSameSettings , this will skip a lot of the waiting in the start :)

Level 13
Maybe put a command in that the host can type in the end,
like -Rematch and -RematchSameSettings , this will skip a lot of the waiting in the start :)
I don't really believe in rematching on games that last as long as Mafia. In any normal game, enough people will leave by the end that it won't matter much anyway whether or not a rematch feature exists. Even if they stayed for the full length, it's good to rehost the game to get more people to know the map.

Level 1
Red always mafia?

Awesome Game, im getting addicted to it lol.
Wish i knew how to be a leet map-maker :thumbs_up:

Just 1 thing... i played a few versions now and the red colour has an insanely high likelihood of being the mafia. :eekani:

I especially noticed this in 1.05, i played 7 games in a row and i was mafia member in each one of them
the mode i had was custom 7v3 or 8v4.

Is this by any chance the change made in version 1.06?:eekani:

Level 4
where are you guys playing? cuz in Northend i dont get games up ..
maybe some of you guys wanna play together? :D

I am using garena :) since most of my friends are there and the Europe RPG rooms dont have dota :D

I don't really believe in rematching on games that last as long as Mafia. In any normal game, enough people will leave by the end that it won't matter much anyway whether or not a rematch feature exists. Even if they stayed for the full length, it's good to rehost the game to get more people to know the map.

Your right , but I figured adding it is not much work and won't really add much filesize, besides its a pain if you start and the 1st day the new people lynch someone for no reason , then it happens to be the mafia guy... game ends :p

TKF

TKF

Level 19
1.8mb is hardly a big deal. That's not even compressed. However, I can't compress it due to the map optimizer's bug with .wav files, which a couple of the crucial sounds in my map uses.

1.8mb is about the size of Battle Mages, not even as large as Phase Killer, so why don't you hate those maps, too?
It's just that I don't wanna wait 1 min for every player to dl the map and I won't get the game filled so fast with my limit of 30kbits upload. Also I see no point of hosting the map when I never get 12 players cuz they are usually not patient.

Level 4
Hey i found some bug,
I set custom, and these were the people : 1 Serial ,1 terrorist , 1 prostitute , 2 doctor , 1 vigilante , 1 bus driver , 2 mason.

The game ended at the first day, the serial killer won .. this happened before we could vote

Level 14
It's great to see a WarIII version of this classic! Brings back some great memories.

A few (unnecessary but would-be-nice) things:

The cutscenes are a bit too long. A faster transition between the stages which don't need a delay for drama would be nice. If everyone wants to skip tutorials (using Esc), can they be skipped?

Why can't I talk at night? No harm in a bit of senseless muttering (with names disguised, maybe). You might need to distinguish between commands being private and public chat (though you already do this).

I would like to have a more representative in-game avatar, maybe allowing me to walk around the town. Possibly people would need to click on my house to lynch me or something, but this would bring the game a bit closer to the original (which relies a lot on body language). It's very difficult to make a decision based on nothing in the first round, because no-one knows anyone.

Very enjoyable map, thanks for making it! +Rep

Level 4
It's great to see a WarIII version of this classic! Brings back some great memories.

A few (unnecessary but would-be-nice) things:

The cutscenes are a bit too long. A faster transition between the stages which don't need a delay for drama would be nice. If everyone wants to skip tutorials (using Esc), can they be skipped?

Why can't I talk at night? No harm in a bit of senseless muttering (with names disguised, maybe). You might need to distinguish between commands being private and public chat (though you already do this).

I would like to have a more representative in-game avatar, maybe allowing me to walk around the town. Possibly people would need to click on my house to lynch me or something, but this would bring the game a bit closer to the original (which relies a lot on body language). It's very difficult to make a decision based on nothing in the first round, because no-one knows anyone.

Very enjoyable map, thanks for making it! +Rep

I fully agree with this guy, It would be fun to have something to do during the cutscenes or something like just walking around. I hope you can do something with it, (+rep to this awesome suggestion)

Level 1
Hi there! I just registered just to write this:p
Amazing idea and implementation man! Great job!

Thought yeah, I must agree that unnecessary delays bore new players with no patience, and old players who've played the map a lot of times.

A restart option is more than essential. I had to remake many times, just to play with the same number of people. And don't tell me it's difficult. I've put restart in my map and trust me there was a lot of shit I had to respawn. You just need to reset some variables, big deal.

Shuffling the colors and positions shouldn't be that hard too, but that's just a guess.

By the way having all the people talking at night, would not be such a good idea. The mafia would be suspiciously quiet, as they'll have to communicate with each other to figure out who to kill.

Also, a major problem with newbies in first vote is that they don't know they should vote for penguin. And what is the first's vote role anyway?

Just my 50 cents...keep up the good work man:) Map roxorz!

Level 16
the new version is better than your first release
Many of my friends liked it :D

EDIT: i found a bug, before you can choose someone to get lynched you can move around right? well, sometimes the people wont move back to where they started and sometimes they would stack on eachother meaning more than two people in the same spot. :/ can you fix that

Last edited:
Level 1
I just DLed the new version and played it. Man you seriously need to address some issues.

The starting voting is really annoying, with all the noobs voting one person after another and then appealing the vote just before the timer ends. And you must limit the voting time. If no one gets 50% of the votes then a simple majority should suffice. The delays are still very long in many cases.

I really love the map, but I see players leaving massively because of those things.

Finally I personally don't mind the text commands I think they are handy, but maybe you should consider giving commands by using abilities. That would seem a lot more interesting and appealing to new players.

I hope you take into consideration these propositions. Have a nice day.

Level 7
Really, PLEASE, put something in so that the host, no matter what color, can do the settings. Red gets killed a lot by mafia cuz they don't know who's good at the game (good ppl are a larger threat) so they just kill red (the host). But I don't want to lost my host-powers at the start as well, because other people will most likely choose a crappy mode or something like that.

Last edited:
Level 1
Also, I checked the map out and you can drastically reduce the size of the mp3s without significantly compromising the content. Perhaps use a VBR with 32-8 bits compression and lowest quality. The result will practically be the same, but with half the filesize. After that, you can also optimize the rest of the map with vexorian's optimizer. That will also save about 200 kBs.

I also see that you use GUI triggers, which is probably what is holding you back from implementing things that seem like hard work with GUI.
I'd be glad to help if you need anything.

I hope you take all these into consideration, whatever you decide.

Level 13
Also, I checked the map out and you can drastically reduce the size of the mp3s without significantly compromising the content. Perhaps use a VBR with 32-8 bits compression and lowest quality. The result will practically be the same, but with half the filesize. After that, you can also optimize the rest of the map with vexorian's optimizer. That will also save about 200 kBs.

I also see that you use GUI triggers, which is probably what is holding you back from implementing things that seem like hard work with GUI.
I'd be glad to help if you need anything.

I've had numerous problems with Vexorian's optimizer, with this map specifically, such as making macs crash out of the map or simply disconnect at random intervals. Also, I really do not feel like making this map unopenable or having the code unreadable, especially since the only things that offer a real shrinkage in size have this effect.

Additionally, the GUI isn't holding me back in this case. It may be a bit slower to work with, but I didn't feel like using JASS for this map. The problems I run into are usually things that would have appeared in an all-JASS equivalent of the code, as well.

Also, about the host/red being blitzed at the start, I am aware of it being a problem, but the solution is in ways worse (No, I will not use the "host detection" system, because I've tested it on weak computers before - every single time the system thought some other player was the host). The solution I have devised is to randomly swap every player's position in the circle, and then randomly shuffle all of the colors. In past experience, such a setup is very confusing.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
No, it would be better if he removed the unnesesary large music files. I have to join games cuz I have EXTREMELY LOW UPLOAD.

0.99 version is the best version I like it. I think there is enough roles in the game. Adding to much more features will instead ruin the map. Making it more complicated would make it less popular.

Level 2
The music isn't that big of a deal, given it only plays when the game ends. If it was all throughout, I'd say keep it, but right now, I don't see what the hell is the point.