• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lost WC3 map file, any potential recovery options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSK

FSK

Level 5
I shut my computer down before my map finished saving (I think thats what happened), and now world editor wont load the file.

I am getting the following error when attempting to open with world editor:

'Unable to load map file : blah blehm blarhk,...
--Main map file could not be opened'

I've tried extracting MPQs but they apparently cant be found. It does look like there is still data in the file (the filesize is what it should be).

If I cant recover this I've lost 2 months of good work. Damn. A lesson to always backup.

Level 12
As WE can't open your file, I suppose you have not tried to test it since.

If you go to your temporary folder (type %Temp% in Windows's search bar) your last working version of the map might still be there as "WorldEditTestMap.w3x".

I hope it will be.

Good luck !

Level 13
What's your WE and Warcraft versions? If it's one of those that come with JassHelper, then there's a folder where JassHelper backs up a lot of recent saves.

Check these paths:

...\Documents\Warcraft III\JassHelper\backups
...\WEX\profiles\Warcraft III - World Editor (WEX)\plugins\JassHelper\backups
...\JNGP\backups

FSK

FSK

Level 5
What's your WE and Warcraft versions? If it's one of those that come with JassHelper, then there's a folder where JassHelper backs up a lot of recent saves.

Check these paths:

...\Documents\Warcraft III\JassHelper\backups
...\WEX\profiles\Warcraft III - World Editor (WEX)\plugins\JassHelper\backups
...\JNGP\backups
unfortunately all of these were corrupted as well

Status
Not open for further replies.