• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lord of the Rings:Full Story(campaign)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Looking at this thread, many give a damn. Besides, whatever EA notices or not, it still breaks the rules of this site.

I don't give a damn about the models being ripped, but I'm pissed that DjDinasty doesn't even stand up to that.

I just hope that Doom will bring us some information on the project and the people 'working' on the 'trailer' itself.

I don't like the terrain.
First of all, the doodads don't blend in with the ground texture, and the lighting feels wrong all together.
Also, it lacks depth.

First thing you do, change that fog to something blueish, like this.
Second, experiment with the lighting sets to see if you can find one that fits nicely. Seeing how isengard is undermined by fiery chasms, you might want to test the dungeon lighting set, but it could also look awful due to the extreme colour changes it does to the doodads. Otherwise, just try to find something blue and gloomy.

Second, change the tiles. i think dalaran ruins rough dirt is an excellent dirt texture, maybe it will fit. Just don't use any tiles with too sharp edges, and if they do have those, make sure the tile is low in the hierarchy. Again, you should choose blueish tiles that look very dead.

third, make the chasms deeper. if you haven't got miscdata.txt, get it. Then you download some of the large rock models from xgm. Choose the ones which are 90 degrees tilted, e.g. standing, and use them to cover the walls of the chasm (you can check out some of oGre_'s or Lexantritte's terrains to see how it is done).

Finally, download the "UnrealTree" model pack from XGM. They look like basic trees with billboarded leaves on them, and are very useful for this. Use the Felwood or Cityscape variations and use them for all the vegetation outside the walls. The contrast is supposed to be evident - outside, the forest is still alive and green, while inside the wall, it is all scorched. For the trees inside the wall, use the dead tree models from the UTM (the ones that uses the icecrown tree textures).

Good luck!

Level 4
Linaze, OMG i sayed that in this project now is only 5-6 models riped.This is Grond,Treebeard, Gothmog,Mumakil and Balrog.

Fingolfin, i want more HRP see in my project,because i didnt like basic trees and decorations of warcraft.

Level 18
The Isengard fog should indeed be different yet about the rest im not that sure yet. To give som information all i know on the moment is that DJ and me are searching for an animator to animate som models besides that im still awaiting his post to allow me to make the terrain better with the suggestions of you people.

Level 9
You know...
sometimes I miss the good ol' days.. when we used Archmages for Gandalf on Shadowfax, Arthas as Aragorn.. Mountainkings as Gimli... If we had skins we could make them look a bit more alike, but WE JUST DID SOMETHING!

People tend to forget that models aren't what makes a map or campaign great or what it should be based of.
The greatest map could live without any custom models, skins or even icons.
But the best-looking models don't guarantee a great map.

To get to the point:
Abandon those model plans til you are indeed at some point in development when the system is working and you can simply add them for a better atmosphere.
Mechanics > Models. Period.

2 DjDinasty: i think u can throw away the ripped mumakil 4 now, i have made 1 in Milkshape 3D 1.8.5 which is VERY good looking (in milkshape and war3 model editor). just need a texturer and an animator 4 it. it's quite detailed (has tusk-weapons) and i am also making a Mahud (the guy with the painted face standing on it's neck, the 1 that commanded it in the siege of minas trith) from a bloodmage. i also made it big enough so that u can post @ least 5 more additional units in the basket (the thing on it's back). currently i am working on a balrog model, sent 2 Nknight001 a boromir model and a gollum ( 4 animating/correcting them). gollum is just a retextured (and litle bit re-vertexed ghoul), boromir is a paladin using the sword of a footman, the cloak of arthas, and the horn of the tauren warrior (horn of gondor) instead of his book. boromir uses ingame textures only. 4 the mumakil i need a texturer and an animator. the same 4 my balrog later (thought of taking an inferno as base model, adding him the sword and wings of doomguard and the horns of a tauren or doomguard....not sure yet). i can make models in lesser than an hour but they r ananimated. any texturer here that i can trust my mumakil model?

Level 9
I dont know much about the progress although i do know DJ focuses on the animating of models he is searching for som animaters. Anyway about any progress besides the animating of models i do not know he havent told me anything of that.

I don't think there's any progress aside from your mapping, ripping and some... craptastic mapping-tryouts <.<
Like somebody said some pages before, he's searching for people to do the work for him...

Level 17
You know...
sometimes I miss the good ol' days.. when we used Archmages for Gandalf on Shadowfax, Arthas as Aragorn.. Mountainkings as Gimli... If we had skins we could make them look a bit more alike, but WE JUST DID SOMETHING!

People tend to forget that models aren't what makes a map or campaign great or what it should be based of.
The greatest map could live without any custom models, skins or even icons.
But the best-looking models don't guarantee a great map.

To get to the point:
Abandon those model plans til you are indeed at some point in development when the system is working and you can simply add them for a better atmosphere.
Mechanics > Models. Period.
, in my opinion graphics (models, skins, effects, terrain) are needed to make a rough jewel in a polished jewel. So yes, I agree with you that things like gameplay should be done first, but polishing should also not be skipped. Look at it like this, you know Mount & Blade? Brilliant game, but at the time it was released it was still very rough. If it were a lot more polished, I would have marketed itself better (luring more gamers through screenies) and it would be more popular. My point: both are important, but gameplay comes a step sooner.

Level 9
I don't want them to drop the whole model-stuff.
I just say it WORKS without them, and that the highest priority should be to create a fun game.
I don't say that preparing some models first would be a bad thing; it's motivating to have some Aragorn that will definitely be in. It makes the map more appealing, even for the creator himself.
BUT that list of 300 models that DjDinasty brought IS JUST RIDICULOUS!

Focus, guys. Focus!

hey Dj....made u a Balrog (looks very much Warcraftish coz he uses ingame textures only,but could be usable). i just need some1 2 anim8 him. the mumakil still needs texturer and anim8or, i made some troll models from Ogres, Nazguls on Felbeasts (+a Withcking) and many Haradrim. they all need animations, as 4 the rest, they mainly use ingame skins, and they r made from ingame models (Warcraft ones) mostly....so if u use them, ur lotr will look a bit warcraftish but the other guys can't say than anymore that they r ripped. as 4 treebeard, gothmog and gron, i can try 2 make some of ingame stuff, so u wont have the ripped any longer and some guys (won't mention names) may stop this *ripped-issue* which starts getting stupid and ridiculous slowly coz they spam the same things again and again....

Level 17
hey Dj....made u a Balrog (looks very much Warcraftish coz he uses ingame textures only,but could be usable). i just need some1 2 anim8 him. the mumakil still needs texturer and anim8or, i made some troll models from Ogres, Nazguls on Felbeasts (+a Withcking) and many Haradrim. they all need animations, as 4 the rest, they mainly use ingame skins, and they r made from ingame models (Warcraft ones) mostly....so if u use them, ur lotr will look a bit warcraftish but the other guys can't say than anymore that they r ripped. as 4 treebeard, gothmog and gron, i can try 2 make some of ingame stuff, so u wont have the ripped any longer and some guys (won't mention names) may stop this *ripped-issue* which starts getting stupid and ridiculous slowly coz they spam the same things again and again....
, maybe you should upload them in model section if you made them yourself. I think many mappers may find it usefull (just make sure to check the filesize, add good screenshot and watch the polies).

Status
Not open for further replies.