• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Looking for a team to start a huge project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've come to the Hive Workshop for the past couple of years but I've never actually made an account until now.

I'm starting a pretty big project. It kind of came to me I guess because I'm starting college soon, and I wanted something as a side project to help me with my schooling. I'll be going for Web Development.

I'm creating a community for mods that we make. It's not going to be like the Hive Workshop so don't freak out on me. Ha. Basically we'll be covering a range of things, but I wanted our first project to be to create WC3: Revival. Which is going to be an official unofficial WC4.

I want to create new maps, with new balance changes. Just really get in there and change things up for the better. I have a game design background so I'm not a complete idiot on how work flow goes.

I want to do a lot of model changes, UI changes, among a lot of other things. A project like this just by myself would take a very long time. Since I'm going to have to work on the website as well. I'm also wanting to do a monthly cash tournament for WC3: Revival.

I'm not sure if I can post a link to my site, so if someone could let me know that'd be great!

If I wasn't clear enough I'm basically looking for a small team of people who have skills with a range of things. We can discuss it more if people are interested.

Thanks for reading.

Level 9
Your project sounds in the same time simple and complex ^^! I really love altered melee so I would be glad to help as much as I can.

However I see a limit (that it is possible to cross) to your project : the 8Mb limit per maps. Your project needs (according to what I understood) a new MPQ and a new launcher. Especially if your really want to create a wc4 with several maps. I don't know everyone here able to do this, but I know that it is possible to do it. Russians did it for more or less the same purpose than you. I hope that it won't be a problem for your project...

Level 2
Your project sounds in the same time simple and complex ^^! I really love altered melee so I would be glad to help as much as I can.

However I see a limit (that it is possible to cross) to your project : the 8Mb limit per maps. Your project needs (according to what I understood) a new MPQ and a new launcher. Especially if your really want to create a wc4 with several maps. I don't know everyone here able to do this, but I know that it is possible to do it. Russians did it for more or less the same purpose than you. I hope that it won't be a problem for your project...

Well I was thinking that I'd still use the old launcher and everything. It would be edited with the WC3 editor and still use the client.

We would come out with one map to begin with. Making sure the map is very balanced for each player. I notice that WC3 maps aren't mirrored, which is fine, but there are certain areas that benefit a team or player when it comes to engagements. There are situations as well where naturals are much harder to defend for certain players than others.

I'm thinking a big project, but very small to start. I'd need to get to know my crew, and make sure that they have the same goals as I do. I know that I'd need at least one artist that could do new models, and I could start my project now. Ha ha.

Level 9
I don't want to be pecimistic, but you won't find a modeller if you don't give extra details on your project (races, features, types of units/buildings, etc)... Besides, a modeller won't be enough if you plan to cover several races... Don't you plan to use existing odels of the Hive?

Level 2
I don't want to be pecimistic, but you won't find a modeller if you don't give extra details on your project (races, features, types of units/buildings, etc)... Besides, a modeller won't be enough if you plan to cover several races... Don't you plan to use existing odels of the Hive?

Well we'd be covering 4 races.

No I wouldn't use previous models from the hive. They'd all be original to our project.

We wouldn't need new models for everything. Like I said, it starts with making a team and then making sure everyone has the same goal and mindset. The goal is to create a revival to an old game. So we would work on balance issues, map issues, etc. We would also add a few new units and structures. I'm not talking about a new game, just more of an expansion.

I want to also add kick features, language filtures to in-game chat, tournaments, and obs features for casters.

It's a lot to cover. But we'd start slow and build a team. Balancing the game requires us to have testers, and to test the game ourselves. New models would come by when we see a need for new models. Do you get what I'm saying? Lol. I guess it's kind of hard to explain something through text.

Level 2
Yes, it sounds rather clear to me. Which are those 4 races? The 4 basic races of wc3? Or do you want to create new races ^^?

Yes the 4 basic races.

Like, I would say more but that's generally frowned upon. I have ideas, but I don't want to blab about them too much until I can have a team that I know can help get stuff done. I can work on it by myself if I can't find anyone, ha ha. But it'll just take a really long time. I could probably even find other students at my college who could team up with me, but I really want to get some WC3 people to work on it with me.

Basically anything is up in the air. I want each game to be able to have observe features for tournaments especially. I really want to have a competative atmosphere. Who knows, maybe there will be new races, and we will drop old races. Anything is possible. I just don't want to say a bunch of nonsense, you know?

The things that I know for sure, that are solid as of right now. Is that I want units to be balanced, and maps to be balanced. Those are two things that someone who is interested in joining my team can count on. Artists are welcome so that we can add some new flavors to units and structures. If we do agree on making more units, changing up the races, or structures then we will need our artists to be able to make those for us. I'm also interested in changing the games UI. For both the players view and our casters for our tournaments.

I'm just really looking for team members so that I can split up the work flow accordingly I guess. Ha ha. Keep in mind this is what I want as a career. So yes, our first project is WC3: Revival, but there may be many other projects open to people. This will be a potential job opportunity.

Level 2
Also. A person that would join my team would not be just an artist or just a programmer. If you take a look at Valve you'll notice that no one that works at Valve has a set role. They all help where they can. Obviously each person has their main roles that they have, but overall they are a team player. They're all leaders in their own way.

A person that joins my team I would expect them to also help test levels, or help with PR, etc.

When Blizzard was first starting out they all were PR. They were all helping build the community, or help testing levels. Lol.

Level 9
I would imagine there being 4 classic alliances (the horde, alliance, scourge, sentinels). There would be an advanced build option on workers, and the races would be pretty large. I might be able to help with organizing the .mpq if you want.

Also, there are Scenario maps in Warcraft 3, so maybe we could add scenarios to the game map files also?

Level 3
Omg I always wanted to see a Warcraft 4-ish project!! Well Im sure I might be useless here Im really sorry. Its just that I have been looking for projects like this ever since I joined the hive. I just want to know if you could let me test it when you guys have started to work on it. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.