1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Lone Wanderer

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by fladdermasken, Aug 2, 2010.

1. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I will most likely change this alot so think of this as a WIP. Let me know what you think and what you would change and I will do my best to change it. There's something I don't fully like about it yet but I can't seem to hit the nail if you get my saying. Anyways, premature thanks.
    Terrain - Lighthouse (Name).jpg
    UPDATE:
    Terrain - Lighthouse Update (Name).jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Man, that looks amazing. I honestly can't think of anything that needs to be improved.

By the way, it's from Shadow of the Colossus, right?

3. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Glad to hear you like it. This is just imagination, although I love SOTC so I might've found some inspiration from it.

4. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Add light around the torches in the dark. Other then that I like it.

5. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    excellent, reminds me of those titans from majora's mask

6. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    this.

7. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lovely terrain. Most of what needs be said is already said by my colleagues. But if I were you I would consider pushing back the black fog a little bit, not much, just so that like half of the island where the lighthouse is becomes "visible." As of now, that island being entirely black makes it push very much for being the center of focus, and when you want that focus to be the ancient in the background, it only irritates that the island is pitch black. But overall, this terrain is truly lovely.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. Aziex

Aziex

Resources:
    Resources:
    Perfect, absolutely love this terrain.
    Can't think of anything to change.
    :thumbs_up:

+rep

9. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Interesting idea, I'll update it today.
    I'll push it back a bit, really keen observation.

10. elredir

elredir

Resources:
    Resources:
    very cool terrain,lovely atmosphere
    i really like how you used the fog and how you made the eyes of the colosus/giant
    not much to improve on it other than what has been said...only advice that i could give is probably to lower the fog that is the most close to the camera so its under the rocks from the right side making it look like the fog is in the canyon/crevasse

11. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Updated new pic:
    [​IMG]
    Pushed the fog back to show off more of the lighthouse, added additional trees and enviromental changes, added glows to the braziers

12. Solaris

Solaris

Resources:
    Resources:
    The latest update is amazing, especially the fog in the background is well set. Maybe I would place some small rock in the front, beside the big ones cause some of the textures are a bit too stretched. The only weirdthing I found is the something (whatever it is,if there are trees they dont look like it) on top of one of the mountains on the left side.
    Really love this one!!!

13. Dr. House

Dr. House

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is what DR.House calls Cookie Time!!!! (in other words i like the terrain very much so you deserve a fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookie made by DR.House himself)

14. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    the light around the torches still isn't right.

the ground around it needs to glow, not just a floating "light" doodad or whatever.

15. thedeathunterxx

thedeathunterxx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i liked the first one better

but WOW that sky is epic, GJ man that looks sooo awsome

16. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks for feedback and criticism. I actually didn't like my update at all and it somehow slipped my mind to save it. I'll redo some changes to the first one at some point in the morning. Thanks for pointing out the sky, I was quite pleased with the looks of it. And I'll try to get the torch glow right this time.

17. Dr. House

Dr. House

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Now that i think of it it reminds me of fable II a rea where there is only a Inn and besides thats mountains and trees and a old rail road. o whatever xD im going offtopic lol

18. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah the update shows my point, at the least. But as said, there are some issues about it. If I were the one to make it I would go for a more gray toned color for the ground doodads, and keep the dawn-ish color look for the background. Also try to be more gentle about the lights around the torches, will you? ;)

Also, I personally think that the main thing that made the new version look "less" attractive than its prior might be that you overdid the adding of trees and rocks and land, try keeping it a little more barren but with more detail as in how you place the doodads, and doodad variation.