• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This is my very first terrain screenshot, but its not finished yet.
Anyways take a look at it and tell me what you think :wink:

Attachments

• Road.jpg
    Road.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 436
Level 3
Needs custom tree models... and lots of trees. Atm it looks empty. Work with fog also...

keep it up :)

I have used custom tree models from UTM :confused:

And i have a tiny tiny bit of fog in it too, but its impossible to notice.

Anyways thanks for the reply :smile:

Level 36
As it stands, its far too empty, tiles just doesn't look good on their own like that. Pimp it up with all sorts of things, rocks, grass doodads, bushes, shrubs... Be creative :)

Also, that sun is FAR too large, you would do wise in making it a bit smaller, and then when completed that process, you would want to add fog. Fog always makes a terrain look better, and then I talk about VIEWABLE fog, of course.

You would also want to lower that fallen tree somewhat down into the ground to make it seem more like its actually fallen down rather than floating in mid-air.

Level 3
Yes, i have actually thought about the same thing with that sun. .

Im working on the fog right now, so that it's possible to see it :wink:

And thanks to you too for replying :thumbs_up:

Btw, any tips on what color i should use for the fog ?

Level 3
Yeah, good idea! :thumbs_up:

The fallen tree is fixed, and the sun is kinda hard to make smaller, because when i do , it just looks really bad , so to make it look nice it has to be big :con:

Level 3
I think i made the sun perfect now, or is it too small ? :gg:

Attachments

• Road 2.jpg
    Road 2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 103
Level 36
Now, you would want to make your terrain seem like it has a bit more depth, this is easily done by making the map larger, and adding mountains in back of the mountains, several layers also, if you think it necessary. The fog seems nice as of now, but not by far realistic, I believe light blue or light grey would suit better, but thats your choice.

For now you should focus on details, adding more to the actual terrain, and making it seem like it have more depth.

Level 3
Im working on details now, like, grass, bushes, rocks etc.

The fog is nice yellow, but light grey worked even better like you said.

I think im gonna wait with those layers, and rather try that out on my next terrain, since this was just more a test terrain so it dosn't have to be so advanced :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.