• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Locked For Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Blizzard has integrated a kind of map protection in GE's publishing feature.
You're able to check 'locked for editing', which I suppose locks your map for further editing by unwanted people.

Now, I don't know alot about map protection, but is there anyone who can elaborate on the security of this feature? How 'strong' is it? Will we be needing a third party map protector anyway?

I think it's likely it'll get bypassed some day, but hopefully that day will be in the very distant future.

sc2p.png

Level 10
It says in a blizz post that the protected ones are impossible to open with the editor, by anyone, and that is permanent.

The game can still open it, which means that someone might find a way at some point, but I bet they got pretty tricky with how they did it.

Level 10
impossible? id be careful with this word :D

Well, the game can still open the map, meaning that all the data can still be accessed.

BUT.

Considering that they are making this feature, and have probably planned it from the start, I am pretty sure that at the minimum a modified editor will need to be used to open them.

I have no doubt we will be able to eventually, but it will hopefully take a long time.

Hell, they might even change the way it is done periodically just to mess people up!

But that might be asking for too much, lol

Level 40
Level 2
In theory all that needs to be done is use a tool like OllyDbg or CheatEngine, and with it keep an eye on what the SC2 process is doing, and then try to play a protected map and see what's going on :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
All editor dependant data will probably be missing, as such you can not load it in the editor. Inorder to submit a map you will need to load it in the editor. Thus it does not stop people hacking a map, but it stops them distributing a hack outside of singleplayer. Even if they do restore the edtior only data there are probably detection methods in place which will automatically reject an attempt to upload a spoof of the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.