• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Loading system/terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Since the biggest map size in the World Editor is Epic (don't remember exact size), how will the loading system be? Will there be a new map for each place (Feralas, Azshara, Felwood etc)?
Oh, and another question. In what way will the terrain be? Since it can't be exactly as in WoW, what will the difference be?
One more question ... how will the underwater areas be made? Wouldn't it be annoying to wait 15 seconds to load each time you go underwater?

Last edited:
Level 25
The terrain is not copied by using special programs and all that stuff. Instead, we redo the terrain by simply remembering some areas and screenshot/video referances. Believe it or not, it DOES take skill to do this effectively and correctly. It also takes a lot of time and patience to do. Patience usually is needed when you find out you did an entire area in the wrong spot, forcing you to redo it in the correct spot of the map.

Each zone (such as Durotar) is done seperately in maps. Some of them need several maps to make up a realistic size of the zone(s). We usually start by making the layout of the map: Mountains, Paths, Town Perimeters, etc.
After that, we develop the detail as we go along. Most of it is done towards the end.

Durotar alone is about four maps; five if you include Orgrimmar.

~Craka_J

Level 5
I believe they said another public Beta was coming soon, however the project is on hold so I don't suspect it will be released in awhile.

Level 25
The public BETA might come around earlier than I wanted and will have a lot less content in it that I wanted to be in it. It'll be thought of as a example of what we got done so far and how much is still left to finish. Lots of bugs will be present and many imbalances as well, especially within the classes as our only Class Creators have left the team. We expect the release to be a big disappointment since there's so much we want to have done in it before the release is over with, but something to satisfy the anxiety a bit might be best for all of us.

Some of the things that we marked as 'finished' haven't actually been implemented yet due to some critical errors being caused by them and such. The currency system is one of them, I think.

Classes are the biggest concern to us as there is much missing to them and a ton of it is incorrect and disproportional to say the least. I really do hope we get a lot more done before the release, but that is something which I definitely cannot promise.

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.