• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Loading/Reloading Bows/Crossbows and Cooldown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello, I want to add more difference between bow and crossbow units in my map. Bows and crossbows are quite different and I was thinking of bringing those differences into the game which would slightly alter how the two weapons could be used.

Bows: Can't be "pre-loaded". Bows should "swallow" their first attack and start shooting only after initially going through their cooldown to represent the time it takes to load and draw a bow.

Crossbows: On the other hand crossbows should shoot normally and only go through their cooldown after the first attack to represent that the crossbow has been "pre-loaded" and is ready to shoot at the pull of a trigger. However, in warcraft 3 units cycle their cooldown time regardless of what they're doing which shouldn't the case with crossbows - you can't reload your crossbow while running away from the enemy. So this could be reflected in a sort of mandatory "stun" time for the unit where it is forced to stay still (or maybe have its movement speed crippled?) after firing for its cooldown duration.

Anyone have any good trigger ideas that could work well with these ideas?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Edit: I think I fixed it. I uploaded Wind Up 2.

How it works: The Archer has an ability called Wind Up that is based on Channel. I set the follow through time to 2.00 and made sure that it doesn't disable other abilities. Whenever the Archer attacks a unit it is ordered to channel this ability instead. When it finishes channeling the ability then the Archer will perform it's attack. You can hide the Wind Up ability by unchecking "Visible".

Attachments

• Wind Up 2.w3x
    24.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.