• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Level Design Contest #1 - Poll

Choose the best entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

level-png.373721
design-png.373722
contest-png.373719
png.373678
1-png.373674

poll-png.373718

contest-img.png

Contestants were to create a multi-layered Boss Fight Arena for 1 player, with at least 2 levels. The levels can be different floors, dimensions, other rooms and so on, as long as the Boss Fight Arena has 2 levels.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus of 5%.
  • Participating in the poll will not prevent disqualification.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement about what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 50 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

AestheticsOverall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./35
CreativityHow unique and original is the idea? How inventive is the execution? How creatively does it conform to the contest theme?/30
LayoutHow well are the arena layouts? Are they logical with little to no visual obstructions? Is it easy to move around? Is it a good place to fight a boss?/35
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall conclude on 25th of June 2021.

Assigned Staff: @Riki

Contest | Results

Last edited:
All of the environments are gorgeous (great job, guys!), but what can I say - I've always been a sucker for some good old hellish content, so I couldn't say no to that circle of bones :D Truly awesome stuff! :)
Glad you like it, thanks for the vote!

EDIT: Judges aren't allowed to vote, @Archian 😄

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@Achille's Crucible of Flame:
  • while it is quite suitable for an RPG, the space outside and on the bridge is much more adequate for manoeuvering than in the arena itself
  • some parts are a bit too barren and/or monotonous looking

@FeelsGoodMan's Heaven and Hell:
  • the visuals are quite appealing however it's a no-no for mappers who want to make use of the minimap since it's plain white
  • the clouds could look less sqaurish
  • the second (hell related) one is pretty standard in terms of layout design

@00110000's The Megaraut:
  • it's spiced up with lovely FX but feels quite classic in terms of terrain design
  • it could really use some details in many places especially where there's blank space
  • seems rather unfinished, so the right part of the map suggests

@Riki's Winterheart Temple:
  • a classic design
  • point for bothering to actually add a unit to test through
  • the moving ice does add a nice flavour to it
  • parts of it seem desolate, like the halls; some more attention to these would help; for instance, a creative use of lights

Level 14
Just wanna say I'm a huge fan of all these colourful entries^^

Here are my 2 cents:
The two different arenas look absolutely spectacular and are enormous. Just looking at them makes it very easy to imagine a bossfight of biblical proportions. I can see the heaven phase having a focus on running around doing objectives and/or fighting off waves of adds while the hell phase just being a good old one-on-one fight that focuses on using the terrain to win.

My only concern is that it just looks too pretty for its own good. It makes for great eye candy but, and this might just be my personal opinion, the default models don't fit with it at all. Still, you can tell there's a lot of love and care put into the terrain and even though the two stages contrast each other greatly they still feel connected as one very big arena.

Bonus points for giving example triggers and fog settings in your map description!
The bridge is well done, and with a little bit of camera work can give a great preview of the crucible to help fire up anticipation for the final fight. And I can't really explain it but boss fights on bridges just have a certain appeal to them.

For the crucible it feels like there's not a lot to cook with there. It's kind of cramped and unless the boss is flying or standing in the lava the lack of space can be a real issue here. The visuals and doodads look really nice and crisp though.
This one gets my vote. N-not because its got a winter theme but because out of all the entries this one feels more like an actual level template than just a boss fight arena. I like that a lot. The rooms have really cool details that help gives the whole level a nice floe. One thing about the two arenas is that they don't really feel connected. The first stage feels almost like it's meant for a different boss, like a mini-boss, rather than the first stage of a fight.

The second boss stage irks me though. The rest of the level shows the terrain and doodads covered in ice and snow but this arena shows shiny alien-looking tech completely unblemished by it despite it snowing. It looks out of place like you just put it there without rime or freason. It sort of matches the waygates but it feels disconnected from the other rooms' brumal theme.
It's unfinished! :goblin_cry:
It's a shame because the first stage of this map is really, really good and just oozes atmosphere. And the idea of having an arena where you have to literally fight your way to the top against hordes of undead leaking from the side seems like a really fun way to build up to the boss.

The extra details you've sprinkled in are a really nice touch.

Yup this is taking too long, and that's the only aspect I personally hate about contests!

@Archian @Blood Raven Any news?
Oh, I see I'm still on the list of judges.
I PM'd Riki, telling him that I won't be able to judge this one unfortunately, so don't wait on me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.