• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Misc] Lan hosting multiple players single PC

Level 4
As you all know, kloader has not been working for quite some time, and no new alternative has been proposed. With 1.30 version there is no need anymore for sandboxie to be able to run 2 clients, but trying to join lan from both fails, even using sandboxie. This leaves map testing for multiplayer only possible from older w3 versions or testing directly from bnet or using 2 computers.

After many hours of trying I have found an alternative, which allows for any number of lan clients on 1.30.1 patch on w10 (should work for other windows version too).

1. Install ForceBindIP | r1ch.net
  2. Create a .bat file on same folder as where the program was installed with this content:
    SET W3Path=E:\Programs\w3\Warcraft III
    start ForceBindIP -i 127.0.0.1 "%W3Path%\Warcraft III.exe"
    start ForceBindIP -i 127.0.0.2 "%W3Path%\Warcraft III.exe"

3. Change E:\Programs\w3\Warcraft III to your warcraft path.
  4. Save and run the bat file (double click). If everything went alright, 2 warcraft instances should be opened and you will be able to access lan from both.
  5. Create a game from one and join from the other.
If you want more than 2 instances, just fill another line with a different valid ip (any in the range 127.0.0.1 to 127.255.255.254).

For 1.28-1.29 patch, you need to use sandboxie for the second instance and the .bat second line should be something like:

start E:\Programs\Sandboxie\Start.exe ForceBindIP -i 127.0.0.2 "%W3Path%\Warcraft III.exe"

For 1.30.2+ patch, forget about ForceBindIP and just open second window with sandboxie, you can enter lan with both and it will work.

Happy map testing!

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-28_0-33-32.png
    upload_2018-8-28_0-33-32.png
    615.1 KB · Views: 648
  • upload_2018-8-28_0-33-54.png
    upload_2018-8-28_0-33-54.png
    564 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
Level 1
Hey, i tried it with windows 8.1 and didn't work. The error message is "Warcraft III was unable to initialize. Error 0." its not opening second wc3, any idea?

Level 4
Hey, i tried it with windows 8.1 and didn't work. The error message is "Warcraft III was unable to initialize. Error 0." its not opening second wc3, any idea?

I guess you are trying with 1.30.1, where they removed the "bug" that lets you open multiple w3 instances. A possible solution is to use sandboxie for the second instance and then change second line to something like

start E:\Programs\Sandboxie\Start.exe ForceBindIP -i 127.0.0.2 "%W3Path%\Warcraft III.exe"

Level 1
I tested this and verified that two instances are possible in 1.30.1 using this method. I ran the first using ForceBindIP and the first two lines of your original script:

SET W3Path=E:\Programs\w3\Warcraft III
start ForceBindIP -i 127.0.0.1 "%W3Path%\Warcraft III.exe"

For the second I just dragged WarcraftIII.exe into Sandboxie and they found each other just fine.

Level 1
hi, juvian
sandboxie + ForceBindIP works great with 1.30.1 for the last 2 months, however, it seems no longer working with 1.30.2. as video below shows, the game just stuck here with 1.30.2 after clicking "join the game" button. any new solution?

(also idk if blz see this feature as a bug and keeps an eye on this thread, we just want to test map more easily, not doing sth bad. why bother "fix this bug" (which actually not) and force us using a more laborious way like virtualbox/vmware? plz leave us a way. great thx)

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Very short and simple.
Admittedly useful though.

However, I would argue too simple.

The tutorial basically comes down to:
1. Download X
2. copy this code / run program (depending on version)

Also noteworthy that I did not get this to work, when I ran the .bat file it said something along the lines of command ForceBindIP not found. Based on one of the replies I figure I need to specify the path which was not included in the tutorial.

But that's a side point as I don't think this can be salvaged.

Level 4
Very short and simple.
Admittedly useful though.

However, I would argue too simple.

The tutorial basically comes down to:
1. Download X
2. copy this code / run program (depending on version)

Also noteworthy that I did not get this to work, when I ran the .bat file it said something along the lines of command ForceBindIP not found. Based on one of the replies I figure I need to specify the path which was not included in the tutorial.

But that's a side point as I don't think this can be salvaged.

Yeah its simple, yet it took me days to find a way to make it work after reading many posts saying it was just not possible. Given new patches I am not sure why would anyone still need this but at the time it was useful. You don't need to specify the path, ForceBindIP is a program you need to install and for the bat to work it needs to be on same folder as ForceBindIP.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Ahhh, I did install the program but did not put it in the same folder.

I 100% understand you, there should be a place somewhere to submit "useful tips"
Such as lists with IDs, color codes, terrain tileset paths etc
And possibly this.

However, I am just the messenger who reads the rules and I think this is too simple to be classified as a tutorial.

I encourage you to poke an admin or post in the site discussion section and ask for a subforum for these short tips. Perhaps it can happen.

Level 6
I will guess you are using program files or something with a space in which case instead of start C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe ForceBindIP it should be start "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" ForceBindIP
So the quotation should be included?

Level 6
Not sure, file looks file. Maybe try restarting and check sandboxie did launch
File looks file, ok
Also, I tried launching separately with 2 files, but the results remain the same
Edit: I tried launching sandboxie only and it works but the second instance cannot connect to network when I tried to enter LAN game