• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Koopa's Terrain!

How is it?

• Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Ok

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Needs Improvment

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Well i've always made terrain, not for looks, but seeing what people made on this site, inspired me to make some cool terrain.

I'm taking suggestions, as long as its somthing i think would be cool.

Picture 1: Heres my first one, its like a Jungle river setting with a little encampment of murgles. I also dedicate this oen to Kharma for helping me with all the model importing and putting up with my stupidity XD

Attachments

• JungleBeach-1.jpg
    JungleBeach-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Level 11
tree density is too high, there is a distinct lack of tile variation, floating-in-mid-air rocks never look good. take screenshots in game view so that fog and everything shows, while ugly purple boxes do not. There are also many noticable floating trees. There is a lack of variation below the trees, as well. Overall, 3/10.

Level 9
Thanks for the critiqe.

I'm trying to smooth out the waterfall, i did that kind of quick. I'ma check some tuts.

Level 28
Well, I don't think that palm trees grow so close one each other, but anyways, the default canopy trees and the imported ones don't fix good together.

As Earth Fury said, there are some rocks floating at the waterfall, and you can see trees floating through the forest.

Here are some hints:

1) Your tile variation is somewhat poor, and you could add the grassy sand tile between the grass and the sand. That aways looks good.

2) What is that supposed to be? Night? So you must not add the Rays of Light effect, but the Rays of Moonlight. To give the night feeling, you mus add fog. But the fog I am talking about is a fog you can find by going at the "Scenario", then "Map Options". After that, check the "use custom fog" box. Then, you select the color of your wanted fog (for night, I prefer a very dark blue, and to get it, you must use the custom color), and to fix how dense you want, you must change the Z start and the Z end. To see your work, you must click "v", so you can see the game-view settings.

3) Make a larger river. That will look better.

4) Use more grassy sand and Dark Grass tiles in the jungle.

Now, you only need to practice and see how the "pros" do.

Keep terraining!

Level 34
Fog fog fog. Biggest mistake of beginning terrainers. It practically makes the terrain. It gives it atmosphere and feeling.

Both /Nave and Earth-Fury nailed most of the problems.

Tuts should help.

Level 15
hmmm, it could use some work. Just some advice:don't be scared of pushing pg down, it is very important to use it, i usually go through my maps and lower every tree and rock individually just to make sure nothing is floating.yes it is very time consuming but it makes the end result that much better! DO NOT mix custom tree models with blizzard trees, it just looks weird. More tile variation! usually terrainers use a pattern like this: rock, rough dirt, dirt, grassy dirt, grass, dark grass repeat backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.