• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Judging Deadlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
From the times when Hive started to apply contests, I believe, judges started to delay their results as well. What annoys me is that sometimes, we have to wait a long period of time before a persons remembers there is something he/she needs to do. However, I know that some major problems in real life may occur, but it's simply not fair, right? What I would like to see is a sort of a deadline for judges. We have a deadline to which point you can submit your entrance, or vote for them. Why not a deadline for judging? It can be, let's say, about two weeks or something like that. If a person can't get enough time or it has problems, let him/her drop off the judging.
Comments?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

First of all, judges are hard to come by. Not many are willing to judge the contests in the first place. If you're going to put a deadline on it as well, less people will volunteer, because it would put a lot more pressure on them.

Secondly, not all contests are as easy to judge, and some have few entries, while others some have many. For a concept art contest, for instance, the judges have to look around to make sure there is no art theft going on, and also find some way to measure how original the concept really is. There's a lot of research involved. Whilst a spell contest, although I'm not familiar with the criteria, is more of a math thing where you give points for whatever is correct, and deduct points for whatever is bad. You could theoretically make a key for what is right and wrong in such a contest. In an art contest, that's not the case at all. One week to judge 10 artworks is little time. Even a month is little time to judge 10 artworks if you've got a job, or attend school or university. Additionaly, most judges are already moderators, we can't just stop doing work as moderators to make time for judging. Judging is last priority.

Alas, I agree that judging should be faster in most cases, but I don't think this is the right way to achieve that, nor is it fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
Wise man once said: "Don't complain about a free service."

Sure we'd all love the judging to go faster, but not everyone has a lot of free time on their hands and the qualified skills to be able to judge the contest properly. Unless you can magically produce a new solution on how to best approach this situation, I'm happy patiently waiting.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

why not all people here are FREE TO JUDGE and the real judge pick the best explanation as possible?...coz even the map/spells/icons section is full of pending stuffs...

Because not all people here are qualified.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

My point still remains. See, if a qualified judge was to "judge the judgings done by a judge that is not qualified" it would take the same amount of time as for him to judge it alone. Thus, it would still take just as long, but we'd get poorer judgings.

Status
Not open for further replies.