• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] Dead Trees - Destructibles Recycled/Replaced with Static Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello, I thought this might be an interesting idea to bring up here.

As most of you know, destructibles cause an addition into the game's lag performance, the more destructibles are added, the more the game is forced to send updates every second to check wheter these destructibles are dead or alive.

Even when dead, these destructibles continue adding to this cycle, this could be a problem for melee maps, where as the game progresses, more units/armies are trained, and more updates are made in-game, causing more in-game lag and performance drop.

%C2%A0-png.240472

So I had this idea to help boosting that out.

In Melee games at least, it is impossible to revive a dead tree, and they serve no purpose anymore other than decoration, while the game is still forced to unnecessarely check if they are still dead or not.

Instead, we could replace these dead trees with static special effects, or images of a chopped tree version of that tree type, without it making any significant visual change in-game.

A JASS system would be better in this case, because these can be added to the map header, without it affecting the map type, so it continues to be a Melee game.

-------------------------------------------

Thoughts? Any better ways to go around this instead? :)

Level 14
Try to use this and see if it helps http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/system-destructablehider.219569/
The idea is actually the same, that destructables that aren't currently needed don't resources.
It hides and unhides them.

I've tried it before, but the system is pretty flawed for multiplayer/melee games. Starting with the fact that when you're away from your base, your workers would be unable to harvest lumber since they are all hidden away from sight.

You're right that my idea is trying to accomplish something similiar though, only that in my case it has to be Melee-friendly, but seeing that system gave me the confidence to think that this is also easily achievable and I could see about asking people over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.