• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Item Passive Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

sup people

I have a problem regarding an item with passive ability. Basically lets say I have an item X. I add passive unholy aura on that item with 3 levels.

I have 2 other items that use the same passive unholy aura, and I want to modify the level of it. I think there is no option to do it through object editor, therefor:

how to increase/decrease item ability for a particular item?

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

a simple trigger like what?
there is no "set level of ability for item" trigger.

so how do you propose i do it?

Level 16
a simple trigger like what?
there is no "set level of ability for item" trigger.

so how do you propose i do it?

Sorry my bad. Well anyway to get around this there is another way but it may be a bit complex :p

When a unit picks up the item, gives it the ability and set the level as you desire (use Spell Book to hide the ability - if you don't know how look in the tutorial section). Then use a periodic trigger to check when the unit dropped the item to remove the ability from it.

Level 16
EDIT: Doomlord wrote the same thing. But don't use a periodic trigger.

Yes your method is correct if there is only 1 item but sentrywiz said that there are 2 other items that use the same passive ability. Using a periodic trigger could help prevent the auras from overlapping each other unnecessarily in case a unit can have all those 3 items at the same time.

@sentrywiz: The periodic trigger would need a condition block so that only the aura with highest level is used.

Level 12
I think you understood it whrong (or I did :D )
I think that he has 3 items with EXACTLY the same auras so he want to do 1 item gives lvl1 aura, 2 items gives lvl 2 aura etc.

So you need only 1 ability. The items themselves won't have ability. When a unit picks an item set ability lvl to CurrentAbilityLvl + 1
When a unit drops it set it to CurrentAbilityLvl - 1
No need of periodic timer.

Level 16
I think you understood it whrong (or I did :D )
I think that he has 3 items with EXACTLY the same auras so he want to do 1 item gives lvl1 aura 2 items gives lvl 2 aura etc.

So you need only 1 ability. The items themselves won't have ability. When a unit picks an item set ability lvl to CurrentAbilityLvl + 1
When a unit drops it set it to CurrentAbilityLvl - 1
No need of periodic timer.

Hmm well tbh I am not really proficient with GUI so yeah I may have used the over-complicated method :p

A small question though: What would happen if the unit with item level 1 picks up an item level 3? And how can you precisely detect the unit dropping items to set the level of the ability?

An example to elaborate on the point above:

Unit A picks up item level 1 so he will have level 1 aura. Then it picks up item level 2 and 3. Now it has level 3 aura. Then it drops item level 3 and level 1. With your method it will get level 1 aura, which is incorrect as it should be level 2.

Level 12
...use the same passive unholy aura...
I think that part means that they all use only 1 ability. So the level of the aura depends only on the number of items the unit has. There wouldn't be any difference if item A B or C is dropped.

Or if there is, he can check which item stayed in the inventory and set the lvl to apropriate value. So no need for periodic timer again.

Edit// Ooo what'd happen if lvl 2 and 3 stayed... ?

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

woo so many replies.

first of all like @nedio95 said, that's what i have and want. i have 3 items, with the same ability that has 3 levels. the only reason why i want this is because of buffs stacking and i don't want it.

but i realized that my solution to buffs stacking won't matter if there are 3 copies of unholy aura each with its own buff or one unholy aura with 3 levels and 3 buffs. i should just make 1 buff for all 3 abilities and that way buff won't stack.

thanks to all. +rep to whom i can give (maker i think i can't give you)

Status
Not open for further replies.