• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

is there any way to make the sims 3 use less memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
is there any way to reduce that or to reduce shared graphics memory.
Shared graphics memory is only allocated if the GPU runs out of memory so should not need reducing. If you do not have a discrete GPU (integrated graphics) then obviously all graphic memory will be shared memory.

In either case you can reduce the amount of graphic memory required by games simply by lowering texture quality. You can also force the driver to use real-time compression on all textures for even less graphic memory usage.

Level 13
the problem isnt that i have too little graphics memory but that i have too much. that cause the sims 3 to run out of memory to store the other data and it lags. another solution would be to use a 64 bit executable but i cant find any.

And what do you think, how will a 64 bit executable help on insufficient graphics memory? A 32 bit application can address 2-3-4 GiB memory, 1.5 is nowhere to the top.

Level 21
i have enough graphics memory but that limits the other memory because the executable isnt 64 bit. i have 2 gigabytes of dedicated graphics memory on the card but as a 32 bit executable can only address 4 gigabytes in total the card provides too much. the game had enough internal memory before i doubled the graphics memory and then it worked well but many other games didnt. that is why i upgraded to a better graphics card with more memory but the sims 3 uses more inernal memory than graphics memory.

Level 13
i have enough graphics memory but that limits the other memory because the executable isnt 64 bit. i have 2 gigabytes of dedicated graphics memory on the card but as a 32 bit executable can only address 4 gigabytes in total the card provides too much. the game had enough internal memory before i doubled the graphics memory and then it worked well but many other games didnt. that is why i upgraded to a better graphics card with more memory but the sims 3 uses more inernal memory than graphics memory.

I became speechless for a moment...

So you're telling me that if I own a Radeon R9 295X with 8GB graphics memory or a Titan Z with 6/12 GBs then nothing will run thats 32 bit because its over 4gb? What if I told you that its fucking not how its workin'. GPU memory addressin has nothing to do with CPU addressing there.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Have less than 100 females on your lot I know it's the purpose of Sims 3 but 99 can do until a memory upgrade :/

Try lower resolution. Or just use Sims 2, it seems nearly as good as 3.

4 posts deleted. You are not funny, guys.
~~~

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the problem isnt that i have too little graphics memory but that i have too much. that cause the sims 3 to run out of memory to store the other data and it lags.
Too much memory is not a problem. Having free memory will not slow anything down.

A 32 bit application can address 2-3-4 GiB memory, 1.5 is nowhere to the top.
Depends on compiler and kernel. Some times it is a lot less.

i have enough graphics memory but that limits the other memory because the executable isnt 64 bit.
No it does not as the application virtual memory has nothing to do with physical memory.

i have 2 gigabytes of dedicated graphics memory on the card but as a 32 bit executable can only address 4 gigabytes in total the card provides too much.
As long as you use a 64bit OS it will address all the memory. The application can only address up to 4 GB (probably less) but that can be anywhere in the OS address space raging from page files to the GPU. I am not even sure if GPU mapped buffers require virtual memory address space after allocation (since they are in the GPU and not accessible to the process).

that is why i upgraded to a better graphics card with more memory but the sims 3 uses more inernal memory than graphics memory.
Which makes no difference since it will only allocate in the process virtual memory address space what it needs. If it is allocating most of it for graphic resources then this is a game bug you should report to EA.

Heck if you are really running out of memory the process will crash. It will not perform badly as that means it has ample memory available but is doing something resource intensive.

He is right to a large degree for discrete cards. Although the GPU memory can be memory mapped that is purely for convenience and is mostly used by the GPU drivers. Physically memory located in the GPU cannot be accessed by the processor without undergoing I/O communication which is very slow and certainly not viable in real time. As a result you are required to treat the memories separately and this is why OpenGL and Direct3D provide you with abstract structures to manage memory allocated on the GPU.

Still if a process does need to map address space for GPU stuff it will only map what it needs so it cannot possibly be what andreasaspenberg is saying.

Level 21
the sims 2 is terrible but still better than the sims 1. the sims 3 cant use virtual memory. first you say that that 32 bit programs can only use 4 gigabytes and then you say that they can. please make up your mind. electronic arts banned me for no reason so i cant go back there. i tried to get help there though but nobody could help me.

Level 13
first you say that that 32 bit programs can only use 4 gigabytes and then you say that they can. please make up your mind.

This sentence made no sense. The truth is, 32 bit applications COULD access up to 4gb, but there are reasons why its lower than that. Usually they can still allocate more than 2 or even 3.

i am hated by more than 50% of the world`s population so the chances of being attacked i high.
electronic arts banned me for no reason so i cant go back there.

Just look at yourself.

the sims 3 cant use virtual memory.

What are you even talking about..

i tried to get help there though but nobody could help me.

Let me correct this sentence: "I asked the same stupid thing there, people laughed in my face and who actually said something useful I ignored so I came here to bother you too with my silly posts"

All the time you do something stuff gets worse. You upgrade your computer just to come back to complain about it.. seriously wtf is wrong with you?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the sims 3 cant use virtual memory
It must be using virtual memory as 64 bit Windows Vista, 7 and 8 does not support direct memory mode.

first you say that that 32 bit programs can only use 4 gigabytes and then you say that they can
And I will say it again if you want. They could possibly use up to 4 GB of memory allocated from the OS memory pool via virtual memory system.

please make up your mind.
I did as you said. Just to be safe I will say it again. 32bit processes could possibly allocate up to 4 GB of memory from the OS memory pool. This is done using virtual memory which translates a virtual address space (process defines these) into a physical memory address (OS defines these).

electronic arts banned me for no reason so i cant go back there
Yeh they are not nice people at times. There is a reason EA has won the worst game company award for many years in a row.

i want the sims 3 to run smoothly, anybody know how i can do that.
What you describe would actually result in the process crashing so it is clearly not the problem. There must be some other resource bottleneck causing your bad performance.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

seriously wtf is wrong with you?

That's kinda mean :/

i want the sims 3 to run smoothly, anybody know how i can do that.

That's different question from the title. First off have antivirus on low settings, have only minor programs on the background and if the performance drops while in game, monitor your PC temperatures. Make sure your PC matches with system requirements, without that no one can guarantee it to run smoothly.

Level 13
That's kinda mean :/

Yet its a damn valid question. He builds a supercomputer with i7 tons of ram(which his OS isn't addressing at all), I guess he has some high-end gpu too(or something he thinks is) so with those specs he can play sims 3 cuz thats what the local dealer said, installs all kinds of weird programs to stop his non existant hacker, ignores everything that is helpful, refuses to solve his problems himself(googl sux), generally spams whole computer tech with threads showing no knowledge, yet he wonders why is everyone hating him. In the end its the mods who will suffer cause noone can do anything with him just to flame and troll.

the only thing i changed before the sims 3 stopped running smoothly was the graphics card.(i upgraded from gtx 550 ti to 650 ti boost.) after that all other games ran smoothly but the sims 3 didnt. that means that the problem is the sims 3 specific.

Since I have been working on Sims 3 lately, are you running it with expansions? Have you loaded custom material?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Revert the change temporarily and see if it improves smoothness

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What NVidia driver version are you using? Below is a guide written by NVidia how to get your driver version.
Q: How can I find out what driver version I have?
A: Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. From the NVIDIA Control Panel menu, select Help > System Information. The driver version is listed at the top of the Details window. For more advanced users, you can also get the driver version number from the Windows Device Manager. Right-click on your graphics device under display adapters and then select Properties. Select the Driver tab and read the Driver version. The last 5 digits are the NVIDIA driver version number.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i updated the drivers recently but it didnt solve anything.
I will ask you again...

What NVidia driver version are you using? Below is a guide written by NVidia how to get your driver version.
A: Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. From the NVIDIA Control Panel menu, select Help > System Information. The driver version is listed at the top of the Details window. For more advanced users, you can also get the driver version number from the Windows Device Manager. Right-click on your graphics device under display adapters and then select Properties. Select the Driver tab and read the Driver version. The last 5 digits are the NVIDIA driver version number.
We do not need to know if you updated them recently or not. We need to know what version of drivers you are using. You should reply with some number in the form XXX.XX where X is a decimal number. This is important as NVidia, like all driver developers, is not perfect and does have bugs from time to time.

Once you have posted this critical information we can start to resolve if drivers are the cause.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Actually, sometimes the newest drivers can f*ck everything up, has happened to me lots of times.

And don't ever try to upgrade your CPU's GPU, it causes BSOD... ^^'

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
9.18.13.3788 is the driver version i am using.
That is not a valid NVidia driver version.
You should reply with some number in the form XXX.XX where X is a decimal number.

I will post how to get your driver version again since you seem to have missed it.

Level 23
Why you think that it is valid? Also DSG gave you instructions to get the proper version number that even monkey could understand. But instead of at least once doing what you are asked for in order to help you, you do whatever you want and than be surprised that your threads are marked as trolling

Level 21
if people wont accept the driver version provided then that is up to them as it is unlikely to be a driver problem anyway.(i have experienced the same problem with multiple driver versions.) the graphics card isnt fully recognised by the game however. could that have something to say.

if people wont accept the driver version provided then that is up to them as it is unlikely to be a driver problem anyway.(i have experienced the same problem with multiple driver versions.) the graphics card isnt fully recognised by the game however. could that have something to say.

I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

Level 23

Ok I will ask you one question. Why do you even ask for help, because when people want you to help you do something totally different and asume its right. When people say something, you reply as if you suddenly had all fhe knowledge, but you dont. Let me state simple fact: if you wont provide normal verion number, you wont receive help from pretty much anyone.
Also instead of your useless bragging you could have just go and check the version number according to DSGs posts, and maybe your problem would have been solved by now. But no, dxdiag is obviously right, my name starts with andre, I cant be wrong!

I am not instanly jumping on the hate train, but you ask easily searchable questions and yur question is of format which shows that you have next tono knowledge about the problematic, and then suddenly 2 posts later you are expert in given problematic. It has happened in multiple threads multiple times. So either do what you are asked to do, or play lagging sims. I am surprised DSG held so long with you, he must have got paid for it or something

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Since you have ignored what I said, I will repeat it again, and keep repeating it until you give the correct information. We cannot proceed with diagnosis until we have the correct information!

A: Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. From the NVIDIA Control Panel menu, select Help > System Information. The driver version is listed at the top of the Details window.
If you cannot perform the underlined step then you do not have any NVidia graphic drivers installed which is your problem. If you can complete the above from start to end then you should end up with a number in the format of XXX.XX where X is a decimal digit.

An example of a valid number is 270.61.

Level 21
drivers is not the problem here, something else is. if drivers had been the problem it would have worked correctly once on that card but it havent ever. even the people on the the sims forum dont suggest drivers as the cause. they suggest that the graphics card is too new but they dont provide a valid solution for that problem.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
they suggest that the graphics card is too new but they dont provide a valid solution for that problem.
If that is the case there is none, sorry.

Since you have ignored what I said, I will repeat it again, and keep repeating it until you give the correct information. We cannot proceed with diagnosis until we have the correct information!

A: Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. From the NVIDIA Control Panel menu, select Help > System Information. The driver version is listed at the top of the Details window.

If you cannot perform the underlined step then you do not have any NVidia graphic drivers installed which is your problem. If you can complete the above from start to end then you should end up with a number in the format of XXX.XX where X is a decimal digit.

An example of a valid number is 270.61.
I will file for this topic to be closed as solved soon unless you start cooperating with us soon.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
many people place too much importance on drivers instead of trying to find the actual problem.
Well based on you not being able to get the driver version I have come to a logical conclusion.

Your problem is caused by you having no graphic card drivers (or too old graphic card drivers) installed. The solution is to download the latest non-beta version of NVidia GeForce drivers compatible with your system (make sure it is for the right build of OS so x86 for 32 bit OS and 64 for 64 bit OS) and install them. If you can tick the clean install box while in installation setup for the drivers I advise you do so.

Thank you for your cooperation, this thread can now be closed as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.