• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

is there a way to make windows 7 use more than 16 gigabytes of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
of course. if harddrives break down that quickly there is either a design flaw somewhere or they are used incorrectly. the shop told me that the pc was the best i could get so i trusted them.

That was a lie unless you bought an LGA 2011 or LGA 1366 where just the top cpu cost 1000$ each. Of course lets not count multi-cpu systems and other 16 core yummies cause those are not for personal computer use. Also if it was a prebuilt pc I'm sure that you don't have top rams as well, but the biggest lack is the videocard.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
if harddrives break down that quickly there is either a design flaw somewhere or they are used incorrectly.
Actually it is based on a failure distribution curve. Most failures will occur in the first year. You will then get another peak around the designed life of the mechanical drive (5 years of continuous use). Finally you will get another peak as some component suffers from the ages of times (probably at 10 or 15 years after where a capacitor or something dumb dies).

The key thing is the continuous use part. If you hardly even use your mechanical hard disk and it is not exposed to a harmful atmosphere then chances are it will take a very long time to fail. On the other hand if you are running a server where the drive never stops or slows for months on end it will likely fail around the given design time (5 years ish).

SSDs are virtually immune to such failure as they have no moving parts to wear. They suffer a different problem were by a block can no longer be reliably read as a result of the voltage levels becoming indeterminate. Programming a block in the SSD actually performs damage to the doping by placing it under over-voltage conditions causing the doping to drift. This process can be undone to some extent but never perfectly and so there is a limit to how many times a block can be re-programed.

There is also a limit to how long a block can retain data before errors occurs. This is because the doping moves easily it will eventually drift in voltage so that a read error occurs. This usually starts happening after a number of years or a few million reads and is fixed by re-programing the block. Error correcting codes are stored as part of the block so the chance of data being lost before a re-program is virtually non-existent.

SSDs also are a lot more resistant to environmental conditions, capable of operating in a much larger range of air pressures, surviving higher impact force (especially when in operation) and being resistant to magnetic fields (you cannot scrub a SSD by putting it near a magnet).

i removed one memory chip when i upgraded the memory. would that work in a pc with intel pentium 4 with hyperthreading.
Yes it will work although the memory will obviously need to be DDR1. The mother board also needs to be compatible with the memory. The processor will detect the new amount of memory up to the OS limit without any problems.

Level 21
the harddrives in the pc i use the most have been used every day since i got it more or less.(i once sent it away to switch disc drive since only the company that sold it can. as that is now closed i cant get a new internal disc drive.) is there any risks if i insert incompatible memory other than harddrive rejection.(while the memory is inserted.)

goodbye-sanity_o_1200211.jpg

Level 13
Andreas I found a brother of you:
Newegg said:
Pros: very nice looking, and high quality

Cons: The RAM slots where bent on arrival, and when I called MSI's tech support, they told me to send them pics, so I did, and was imidiatly told that the RAM slots only use DDR3, and therefore must have bent because I was putting the wrong kind of RAM in, so i guess 32 GB of G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 is not considered DDR3 RAM cards.

Other Thoughts: I am done with MSI and will be returning tomorrow, never buying another motherboard that is not ASUS or GIGABYTE

Manufacturer Response said:
Dear Valued Customer,

You wrote us an email stating the issues that you had with this motherboard.
"as the picture shows, my Intel Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz) Processor does not fit, as the second picture shows, my DDR3 Ram card does not fit either. this is not my first MSI motherboard, and I know the quality is usually rather good, and this is a high surprise to me"

You tried to install an i5-3570K processor into the Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard.
i5-3570K is LGA1155 and motherboard is LGA1150 therefore they are not compatible.

You've also tried to install memory the wrong way, here are the pictures that you've provided to us.
tZep9ZY.jpg

mGo5iBS.jpg

Human stupidity, you never fail to amaze me.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
is there any risks if i insert incompatible memory other than harddrive rejection.(while the memory is inserted.)
1. DDR1, 2 and 3 use different sockets. You cannot insert them into each other as they will not fit. If you do you will have broken something and will need a new motherboard or can throw the ram module away.
2. If the motherboard does not support the memory you inserted it will simply not appear to the OS (the BIOS will not register the memory when constructing the physical address space). The only chance that damage may occur is if the memory you insert has an inactive power load higher than the motherboard can supply it in which case it will burn the motherboard out. However seeing how the RAM module would be inactive it is highly unlikely to draw that much current. However on the other side if the motherboard incorrectly registers memory as compatible that has an active power load higher than it can supply it will also burn the motherboard out but this will be a latent design defect. Seeing how little power memory uses and that memory is still getting more energy efficient the chances of either of these situations occurring can be considered speculation. The only reason I am mentioning this is that in the actual motherboard technical specification (not the crappy user manual) it should mention the maximum current that the various sockets and pins can safely draw, so inserting something that draws more than that will likely burn the board out.

There are other compatibility problems that can occur which are motherboard specific. These can range from the BIOS hanging to other compatible modules not registering (especially if they share the same channel). However these will only persist while the incompatible module is installed and removing it should restore operating with no long lasting consequences.

Hard drive rejection should never occur as the hard drives are registered as I/O devices entirely separately from memory. Where as the processor has pretty much a dedicated parallel channel to the RAM modules, hard disk drives are accessed via external I/O operations that run through different communication channels such as the SATA controller. This is partly why I/O is so slow compared to memory access.

Level 7
DDR has a different slot than DDR2 and DDR3 has a different slot from both of them.
And no, as Geries said unless you brute force the RAM stick it won't fit.
Edit:Oh and Geries you reminded me of this one
I have a question,
I recently took delivery of my new Dell, which came with the 32bit version of Windows 7, however the PC is capable of running at 64bit.
If I install Windows 7 32bit twice would that make it 64bit?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
in my targa desktop i inserted a memory chip that wasnt compatible and it prevented the harddrive from being found, i removed the chip and there wasnt any issues. that was before sata though.
Well that would be a motherboard specific compatibility problem. Probably relating to the BIOS not identifying the devices correctly. As I said though, no long lasting damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.