• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] is there any spell that does defend without able to attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Im wondering if there is an spell there u cant attack when u use it. So basicly im after something that makes u hero defend and not able to attack.

Like if the other players attack you they make 0 damage.
Also my hero should not be able to attack during this.

it need to have cooldown.

Level 24
Does it have to be toggle-able with cooldown?
As in, you activate it, then deactivate, which procs the cooldown.

If so, you might want to make use of a very neat trick to create a cooldown on your spells.
It might not work with all abilities, but defend shouldnt be a problem.

Level 12
You could give "Cargo Hold (Orc Burrow)" to make the unit unable to attack for the duration of the defend stance or whatever.

Level 24
You swap your ability with Spell Shield using Engineering Upgrade.
Then you activate the spell shield by a dummy unit.
Then you swap back to your original ability.
The cooldown from the spell shield is now applied on your original ability.

That is how I do all cooldowns.

Level 39
You swap your ability with Spell Shield using Engineering Upgrade.
Then you activate the spell shield by a dummy unit.
Then you swap back to your original ability.
The cooldown from the spell shield is now applied on your original ability.

That is how I do all cooldowns.
Well that's nifty. Does it only work for spell shield because it's a passive with a cooldown, or will any ability added with EU apply its cooldown to the base ability that was 'upgraded' if you undo the upgrade while its on cooldown?

Level 24
Because of how EU works, this may not always work as there are different kinds of abilities in WC3.
It works for most abilities, but some just dont inherit the properties of Spell Shield, thus not activating the cooldown.

But yea, it works for most passive abilities and it works for Channel.
That is all I need really.
I think it would also work with Defend.

Level 39
But yea, it works for most passive abilities and it works for Channel.
So I could have a multi-level channel ability with different CD for each level that would apply different cooldowns based on what level it was after using EU to get it on the unit?

Do the cooldowns overwrite, stack additively, or do nothing if you use the spellshield trick again while the base ability is already on cooldown?

Level 24
No.
You need different levels of your spell shield to have a different amount of cooldown.
If the base ability is already on cooldown, nothing happens, so you have to reset it's cooldown by removing+readding the ability before applying the cooldown just for safety issues.

Level 19
i tested to use immolation and set cooldown to 0. it dident work. i have no effect at all :/

Basicly im trying to make an item that has no cooldown thats permanent and makes AoE Damage to nearby units.

Or making a spell that has cooldown and makes AoE damage.

Level 24
I have one Spell Shield ability with 600 levels.
Each level has the cooldown set to 0.1*level.

All spells have an Engineering Upgrade equivalent to swap the activation ability of that spell to the spell shield.
After they are swapped, I set the level of the spell shield to the cooldown *10.
Then I have every cooldown between 0.1 second and 60 seconds.
If I have an ability with a longer cooldown, I just increase the levels of that spell shield ability.
(Loading time isnt that bad as the Spell Shield ability has no changes to the text or whatever, so it loads perfectly fine, except the preload at the start of the map.)

The best way to make spells is triggering them.
That way, you can create the entire behavior instead of sticking with a WC3 ability.
The Item ability that you mentioned does exist.
I think it is called poison cloak.
The ability with AoE damage and a cooldown might exist but I cannot thing of an ability right now.
Triggering that one is pretty easy though.
You just create a channel based ability and on activation, you add the caster to a list of units.
Each x seconds, you loop through that list and damage nearby units.
With JASS, you might want to use timers to have the intervals set up properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.