• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Is making a 480x480 ORPG good idea for begginer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
As title says, I decided to make an ORPG with dimensions 480x480 because I wanted it to be a good grind ORPG with tons of classes. My experience with WE is basically having fun in it and trying out custom heroes n spells like 10 years ago. I have never completed and uploaded a map. The question here is how realistic this idea is?

Two things I have a lot is: Time and Inspiration
Im weak at: only now learning all the needed stuff to make ORPG (events, scripts, triggers)

So basically anything you can tell me is helpful! Don't worry I have already searched forums and found many usefull threads regarding ORPG and various helpful material. However how realistic is it really for me to successfully finish such big project? Also im very concerned about Traps that I could fall into like, making map lag because its too big and has too many objects (just learned destructibles causes a lot of lag) or DeSync which I have no idea what causes. I really don't wana spent days of working just to find out its unplayable.

About THE MAP:

INNOVATION: Lots of classes and job advancement, and I mean LOTS! You start as a peasant, then at level 5 you get to pick 6 schools of magic; Light, Water, Earth, Fire, Wind, Dark. But you become just a tiny mage with only few spells. Then at level 25 is second class advancement, with atleast 3 new paths for you to choose. Here you can even become Footman or Archer (with much more cooler names than this ofc) but they still have Intelligence as their primary stat but more on that later. At level 50 you get a third class advancement with 2-3 more choices. We are talking around 60+ Heroes after third job advancement! (1*6*3*3=around 60)

SPELLS: Because of that there will be only 4 spells per hero (at second and third class adv.) with possibility of making certain items usable as spells if game feels boring. I will ofc use Warcraft 3 resources very heavily with heavy reusing. There will be many summon spells, many 10 minute buff spells, and many will look almost the same but will have different effect. About custom units and spells people made I will not bother myself yet until I design atleast 50% of map with first and second class advancement. Ofc if you got some good stuff you can tell me.

STATS: Everybody is a mage! Strength and Agility and Critical strike does not exist here. Instead Melee classes have more defensive abilitys or buffs to boost their defense. And smaller mana cost abilitys with melee range but ways to reach your opponent. Archer-type of classes will probably have auto-cast dmg boosters (like searing arrows) which still consumes your mana so you must use it sparingly. Also they might have some attack speed buffs. And Mages abilitys will have big mana costs and damage so you cant just spam them. Items will give stats like HP, HP regen, Attack Dmg, Mana, Mana regen, Spell Damage % (if I can make this one), etc. So you can become a tank if you pick Hp items regardless of class. Or Focus more on spamming spells with mana and mana regen.

Final words: I will try to make map as simple as possible without much scripts. Focus is on Leveling together and buffing each other. Even if you have same class as somebody else your item and stat build will make it completely unique. You can be warrior with full dmg and mana build that spams AOE attacks. Or Mage with full HP that tanks and uses summons and buffs to power up team.

Thats it for main focus of game. Ofc I plan to have few dungeons too and little bit of quests.
Also PVP! No idea how im gonna make that work yet but I think it would be super funny for people to show off their build to other people!

Level 38
You have a lot of enthusiasm, which is great! These ideas are good but I think your vision is too large and you will burn out before completing the majority of your map. 480x480 is huge, 60 different classes is huge, having deep item customization is huge, having meaningful progression over 50+ levels is huge, and having any sort of interesting story or quests to complete over that period is huge.

Start smaller and familiarize yourself with the editor. Try making simpler versions of these core ideas/mechanics to see how developing them feels. I would suggest you try a single player story/campaign over levels 1-25 to practice developing story, constructing quests, creating items that players want to use, terraining areas, differentiating classes, and making spells. Even if you don’t finish that project you will learn a lot on the way and you can even re-use assets from that project for your ORPG. Lift whole quests, item trees, terrain chunks, etc. and nobody will ever know.

Level 14
Also avoid making rpgs that are excessively grindy: in WC3 people want to end the map in less than 2 hours in multiplayer(and shorter times such as 30 minutes or less can be more interesting)
If you want to cram more plot in a multiplayer rpg you can make multiple episodes instead (that are separate maps)

Level 2
Ok so I have split my world into 4 parts, the 1-20, 20-40, 40-60 and 60+ . I will focus on 1-20 part and complete it. While the rest of map I will just sketch. Once im done with 1-20 I will host it and post here and see what people think about it. Then fix/add stuff in it. And if enough people really like it and wanna see further development I will then do 20-40 part with second class advancement. Then again host it and so on...

noob - I am making ORPG, I DONT want it to end too quickly. I wanna create small MMORPG in Warcraft 3 world. Similar to other ORPGs from which I draw a lot of inspiration, like: Twilights Eve (awesome classes), Eclipse (good looking world), etc. Too many quests actually makes people solo too much and I want to encourage teaming up. Its easier to team up when not everybody has quests which tell them to kill different mobs. I want good old grind partys from old mmorpgs!

Level 2
Ok I have tested the map and tried running around with a unit. The map is INSANELY big. I feared that Warcraft 3 doesn't support big enough maps but I was wrong. Its so big that it actually feels empty and also if players would spread out while levelling you would never encounter each other. Not what I was aiming for.

Il make my ORPG map much smaller than 480x480. But before that I guess I have no choice but to make smaller project first. Its gonna be a pvp map with levelling around. First who reaches 100 kills wins. But il implement all the systems I talked about. Class advancements but not nearly as much. Stat system. And classless heroes.

Level 14
Ok so I have split my world into 4 parts, the 1-20, 20-40, 40-60 and 60+ . I will focus on 1-20 part and complete it. While the rest of map I will just sketch. Once im done with 1-20 I will host it and post here and see what people think about it. Then fix/add stuff in it. And if enough people really like it and wanna see further development I will then do 20-40 part with second class advancement. Then again host it and so on...

noob - I am making ORPG, I DONT want it to end too quickly. I wanna create small MMORPG in Warcraft 3 world. Similar to other ORPGs from which I draw a lot of inspiration, like: Twilights Eve (awesome classes), Eclipse (good looking world), etc. Too many quests actually makes people solo too much and I want to encourage teaming up. Its easier to team up when not everybody has quests which tell them to kill different mobs. I want good old grind partys from old mmorpgs!
If you want a good multiplayer experience then the whole "playing should last closer to 30 minutes" is still true.
In a mmorpg you have hundreds of players so it is not hard to find players when you connect while in WC3 you need to form a group before playing and there is not hundreds of players for most maps(and your map is not going to be an exception: there is many orpgs that have been made before in wc3).
So ideally matches lasts short enough for players to not get bored because you can not have other players joining in the middle of the match.
Look at guild wars 2: they put complicated quest scenarios but that have a short total duration and they reduced grind considerably then they placed good pvp content (you can also go in dungeons for more classical mmorpg experience but usually they do not last more than 2 hours unless you are struggling).
I say that you could split your rpg in multiple maps that are short to complete and encourage cooperation massively(ex: better rewards for cooperating and also make things hard without cooperation)
Then I think you should reconsider your thinking pattern for having thought of a class system that was simultaneously this much boring (you suggested you got more than 3 abilities only beyond level 10) and this low in possibilities and switch to a skill buy system (players buys their skills at shops in exchange for a rare resource gained at level up) or into a hero pick at start system (if people want to play something they want to play it now not 3 hours later).

I mean if all you want is a rpg with kill X boar quests and grinding you can instead of making your map just play one free mmorpg that fits that boring scheme but that have better graphisms and hundred times more content and players.

Last edited:
Level 6
I'm starting an ambitious project myself, but I understand the commitment it will take because of experience.

I think you should make (and complete) a very small map with 1-2 classes, 1 boss w/e, ultimately something you feel you can complete and polish in less than a week.

If you aren't even close to finishing it, just keep that in mind. See how far you can go.

Are you already burnt out? Do you have the skill set you need? Do you know how much help you'll need? How many months(years) are you willing to commit?

You basically set your barometer and learn some things (you always learn something new with each project).

Level 2
Thanks for all the replyes guys!

I am working on much smaller project indeed! Its a 90x90 (don't know exact numbers) map, that is gonna be a 15-30 min long, a objective is to be the first player who reaches level 20, while also engaging other players along the way. Its gonna be for 8 to 24 players. Its like Battle Royale style. Except when u die you will respawn and continue levelling. Lots of items, and most importantly, my new stat system and bunch of classes, which should also class advance.

How good map will it be? No idea. That's why im trying to keep it small and plan to finishing it in 1-2 weeks! After that I will be much wiser about map making. (and future about ORPG which I still would like to make)

Status
Not open for further replies.