• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it a bug??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi there,

I publishd a game online. But I got a few problems where I just dont understand why its happening.

The banelings in the game can't attack? They only have the ability to explode. When you click on a target with the baneling to kill it, then it will just go to it and doing nothing.

Very weird, cuz I didnt changed anything at any unit. You can't tell me those are the standard settings right?

Or is it a bug? Is someone familiar with this problem?

Plus the unit are a mix of HOTS and WOL units. How can I get to switch to hots mode.. For instance my reapers and ultra's are WOL and zergling and other are HOTS, so no balance.. (thats what players are saying)

Thnx for the help, kind regards..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Plus the unit are a mix of HOTS and WOL units. How can I get to switch to hots mode.. For instance my reapers and ultra's are WOL and zergling and other are HOTS, so no balance.. (thats what players are saying)
Remove the WoL mods from the dependiencies and make sure the HotS mods are at the bottom of the list (as they need to be applied last).

The banelings in the game can't attack? They only have the ability to explode. When you click on a target with the baneling to kill it, then it will just go to it and doing nothing.
Is the unit hostile? Banelings only attack hostile ground units.

Level 4
Picture of Dependencies:
modso.png

I Already checked this once and its like this. I took the Swarm (mod) which seems to me the one i need for Heart of Swarm. At full dependencies you see 2 time WOL and 1 time HOTS.. They will automaticly show with the standard Swarm (Mod).. And I cant click them or delete them or anything else.. They are just how they are.. This is weird.. :(

I also made picture of the Baneling issue:

banelingissue.png

I made 2 screenshots from both banelings: the one of HOTS and the one of WOL.. The Baneling from HOTS doesnt have the 'Attack structure' ability command card and the WOL Baneling does.. When I test document (recent editor file) the banelings cant attack and they miss the attack structure ability.. (seems to me the HOTS banelings).. When i test document of a file of 2 weeks ago.. The baneling acts correct and explode when attacking unit and he does have the ability command card 'Attack structure' , which seems to me the WOL Banelings (if i must make some conclusion of it)..

In other words, is the baneling of the hots version just being fucked up and cant attack units, but only have the explode button?

And I have no idea how it comes that the banelings in other files are working correct and since the file of 1 may is screwed up.. And if I check data there are no diffrences in comparison with this new file.. I also did a reset to banelings, incase something was changed.. Its just fcking weird..

You got any idea to help me out??

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
They are just how they are.. This is weird.. :(
That is how they should be as HotS is an expansion so uses WoL as a base.

In other words, is the baneling of the hots version just being fucked up and cant attack units, but only have the explode button?
HotS banelings do not have Sap Structure in the command card, they do retain the ability however just no button for it.

They should still have a weapon that suicides them. If the weapon cannot attack then the weapon data must have been modified.

Level 4
That is how they should be as HotS is an expansion so uses WoL as a base..

I see.. But how does the editor make a selection of which one of the units will be used in the gameplay, and what units will be used for triggers (HOTS or WOL)..? Cause right now its using both as a mix, if I must believe the players that is..

HotS banelings do not have Sap Structure in the command card, they do retain the ability however just no button for it.

They should still have a weapon that suicides them. If the weapon cannot attack then the weapon data must have been modified.

Ye i already searched in the values what is diffrent with the former files.. Cant find any diffrences.. Perhaps i'm not searchin well enough..

But, I didnt mody the Baneling once.. So how its possible that the banelings in my former files can attack (plus they actually have the attack structure command card in the older files, even though the dependency is on Swarm), and all of the sudden it cant anymore.. Without any modyfication.. As you can see in the screenshot here above, everything is listed twice.. (one HOTS and one WOL).. And when you modify the HOTS unit (WOL units cant be modified), there will be an 3th Unit created in the list.. So can you see what unit is modified and which one isnt.. And i pressed at all banelings i got and pressed on reset unit.. Because you will suspect the baneling to work if you reset the unit.. ay?? Ye I need to check it our better, cause it has to be something which has changed, there isnt an other option.. If you got any idea's where the problem could be, I would love to hear it :)

Last edited:
Level 4
Isnt there a button to reset the whole unit that I will go back to standards setting, plus everything that is linked to it (weapons, actors, models, upgrades etc etc).. Cuz that should work I guess...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I see.. But how does the editor make a selection of which one of the units will be used in the gameplay, and what units will be used for triggers (HOTS or WOL)..? Cause right now its using both as a mix, if I must believe the players that is..
Not all WoL units were modified for HotS. As such it uses the HotS modified units first (your banelings, etc) then leave the rest at WoL (as HotS did not alter them so it has no choice but to use their WoL versions since there is no data for them in HotS).

Without any modyfication.. As you can see in the screenshot here above, everything is listed twice.. (one HOTS and one WOL).. And when you modify the HOTS unit (WOL units cant be modified), there will be an 3th Unit created in the list..
Exactly as it should be doing. Each listing is for a data source.
Source 1: WoL
Source 2: HotS
Source 3: Your map

You cannot modify sources outside your map and so it creates a new listing in the map. To prevent nonsense changes, it only lets you modify the top level listing for data. If there is only a WoL listing it will let you modify it and make a new listing for your map. If there is a HotS listing it will not let you modify the WoL listing (if any) and still make a new listing for your map. Simple data mechanics.

If you got any idea's where the problem could be, I would love to hear it :)
Do melee HotS banelings not behave like this? I have not played HotS melee so do not know how they should behave.

Isnt there a button to reset the whole unit that I will go back to standards setting, plus everything that is linked to it (weapons, actors, models, upgrades etc etc).. Cuz that should work I guess...
No, you need to reset each data entry separately.

If you post the map, I will look into it.

EDIT

It seems there is something very wrong with the Baneling. As if it has hidden data entries that are invisible to the editor. Trying to modify the Baneling command card even crashed the editor for me. I suspect there is a work around by manually patching the Baneling so the data makes sense (and should work) but that seems a lot of effort for something that should be done automatically.

Last edited:
Level 4
I reset all linked data of the baneling seperatly, didnt changed anything.

I checked out the melee game online. And the baneling on hots DOES have a attack structure command card and does explode when touching unit (just how the exspectations are.

If I check the diffrences between the file which the banelings worked correctly with the file that conatains this bug:

The list at data where the baneling is listed. On the other file the WOL Baneling is top and the HOTS Baneling is bottom.

And the file which the Banelings doesnt work, is it vica versa (switched) --> WOL baneling is bottem listed (in comparison with the HOTS baneling) and HOTS baneling is on top.. (Just like like you can see in the screenshot above)..

I will show you the file which contains the bug, but how do I add a editor file in here?? I will doo that in the evening today, cuz im on work whole day..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I checked out the melee game online. And the baneling on hots DOES have a attack structure command card and does explode when touching unit (just how the exspectations are.
No it does not... It has an "Enable Structure Attack" command which is totally different from the WoL attack structure command. Attack Structure took a target structure and ordered the Banelings to attack it. Enable Structure Attack is a toggle-able ability that turns automatic structure acquisition on/off.

I will show you the file which contains the bug, but how do I add a editor file in here?? I will doo that in the evening today, cuz im on work whole day..
Either attach to the post (Go Advanced) or attach to Pastebin (top of page) and paste the link.

The problem is caused by the HotS patches not being represented in the data editor. The "Enable Structure Attack" ability was added in a recent patch yet is not directly present in the Baneling command card data. This means the data you are being shown in the editor is of the oldest patch the object existed for as opposed to the current patch which may have altered it (eg, added the Enable Structure Attack to Banelings).

Level 4
Here is a file which contains the bug.. I deleted most triggers of this map, plus its an very old version. This version is the first file when the baneling bug showed up..

It's not that I'm not trusting you, but it doesnt feels right to put my 2 months work on the e-net.. ;)

Thnx man.. :)

Attachments

• Version Check Out Hive Workshop.SC2Map
    5.9 MB · Views: 233

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You are using the wrong dependency. The latest melee balance changes and working Banelings are part of the "Swarm Multi (Mod)". The release version of HotS (beta balance) with the broken Banelings is "Swarm (Mod)".

"Swarm Multi (Mod)" depends on "Swarm (Mod) anyway so do not worry about regression, it purely applies the latest balance changes.

If you then go to the "Swarm Multi (Mod)" entry for the Baneling Unit, you will notice that it now has the "Enable Structure Attack" and "Disable Structure Attack" buttons that are missing in the "Swarm (Mod)" entry for the Baneling.

So why did it work before and suddenly stop? I am guessing the map still had some melee flags set so tried to use the latest patch version. As it became known as an Arcade map, it lost that flag and so only used the version you defined in dependencies. Changing to use "Swarm Multi (Mod)" fixes this as you specifically tell the map to use the latest melee balance changes.

Level 4
Omfg, if I could kiss you right, I would do that.. I'm so happy now.. This issue was really de-motivating me..

Still can't understand how fast you knew what the issue was, you probely very smart guy :D

I will put your name on patch notes that you fixed this.. You own!!!

Thnx man!!!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You may need to make sure that some of your modified unit's properties reflect the patched properties. If you overwrote a field with a value that did not include patch content (say, modifying the command card of a unit which was given an ability by the patch, eg the Baneling) then that field may not include the patch content.

This only applies to units where a Swarm Multi (Mod) entry exists and you had modified them based on the Swarm (Mod) version. The chances of such a thing occurring are slim but it might be worth doing a quick check for.

Level 4
Yes Thanks, I saw that a few ability upgrades on structures were added or some train unit card were added to my modyfied structures.. I checked all and made it how it supposed to be.. So it's done.. Thanks for your effort.. I am so glad the baneling issue is solved, it was such a gamebreaker..

Thread can be closed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.