• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can a MOD file in WoL work in HoTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I have added lots of custom content to a MOD-file in WoL. New units, skins, models etc. I now want to use all the new HoTS content!

When I add Swarm (MOD) & Swarm (Campaign) dependencies to my MOD, I get a warning that this might cause some errors.

Any ideas how to make a WoL-MOD work with the HoTS content, without causing any data problems?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
HotS redistributed all WoL content. The reasons for this were numberous, I will provide but a few.
1. The Terran faction already had a completly extended unit set in the previous campaign. Not featuring most of those units would raise questions as to why they were no longer used. Featuring too many new terran units would raise the questing why they were not in WoL.
2. How many alien creepy textures does one need? Atleast part of the texture set overlaps.
3. HotS got a brand new physics engine. This required the revision of most models to take advantage of new functionality. To prevent the old models standing out when used right next to the existing models and to give HotS a major selling point, they decided to go all out and redo most models.
4. HotS is an expansion. Much like how WarCraft III TFT had all the RoC content, HotS has all the WoL content.
5. Due to conent overlapping, including both mods at once could cause huge compatibility clashes (which version of an Siege Tank to use?) so they dicided it would be cleaner to parallel the content into HotS.

HotS is still a worth while expansion. It adds a large number of new zerg units, boss- units and unit variations. Many map developers will find these of great use in producing a varied and good looking map. We also have many new environments such as swamps and snow which were lacking in WoL.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
this and a 1 day campaign worth 40 euros?
That depends on player skill and available time. I am sure you can 100% the campain in 24 hours if you are a high end zerg player and know what you are doing, but most people are not and if you did not read spoilers you have no clue what is comming. The average player may play the campaign 2-3 times at increasing difficulty. Some missions may require many atempts at higher difficulty. People will often struggle to even put in 8 hours a day playing, let alone 24. Thus a few weeks seems much more reasonable for a completion time of the campaign.

The campaign is just the start. You have melee play as well if you are competitive. This has drasticly changed since WoL. You also have new custom map content which more and more maps will start to use making them unavailable in WoL.

Level 1
From what I found so far, plus some explanations on mapster, if you want to have WoL and HotS melee data+campaign+ story, all you need is Swarm Story (Campaign) dependency as it includes, the SMs and campaigns of WoL and HotS. Too bad Multi cannot be applied too without problems, would have been nice to update unit stats based on balance.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Too bad Multi cannot be applied too without problems, would have been nice to update unit stats based on balance.
It breaks a lot of units though because they function differently in the campaign. An example is the bunker which has the turret upgrade in the campaign, the multi mod would break that upgrade as it replaces the bunker data with the multi data.

Status
Not open for further replies.