• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Dota 1 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Guys i am serious..

I try searching it in the google but www.playdota.com is not now available.. the forums about dota 1 is not even accesible..

And the last AI version of dota 1 said that... it is the last AI version they will made..

And i haven't hear much about now the dota 1 update so..

Is dota 1 dead or alive?.. (i mean is it still updated?)

If dead then rejoice warcraft III community and let the wc3 custom maps dominate the warcraft scene again!...

Level 12
Here is the serious answer:

No.

-IceFrog has not yet anounced when he will stop updating DotA 1, and if he does someone will probably take over.
-playdota.com is 100% only down for a short period of time, unless there was an other fuck up with the head of the forums, which is quite improbable this time.
-DotA 1 is still played by thousands of people, especially in the asian region.

Level 6
Ah.. thanks.. but in the new update on dota 2.. of all of that especially the heroes updates its hard to implement in dota 1.. so over time dota 1 will never be more like dota 2 and both of them will never be the same..

Dota 1 will be stop since dota 2 has a 9 million+ players now..

Level 12
but in the new update on dota 2.. of all of that especially the heroes updates its hard to implement in dota 1
No, most gameplay changes are no problem to implement in wc3. Theres a huge amount of time required though, as the patch is big.
over time dota 1 will never be more like dota 2 and both of them will never be the same..
Yes, as they are built on different engines.
Dota 1 will be stop since dota 2 has a 9 million+ players now..
Probably most of the current DotA 2 players also played DotA 1 and therefore it's playerbase is significantly reduced. The end of DotA 1's development however is decided by a lot more factors than just by not having a huge playerbase any more.

Level 10
What's with all the hate with DotA 1? And don't give me that "because it sucks" shit.
Man, because of DotA I'm into custom maps and stuff.

Level 25
There is still a lot of players playing Dota 1. 9 million in dota 2 does not cut it. There were a lot of millions of players before, especially in Asia.

But I don't doubt that Dota 1 will slowly die, or at least be so different to Dota 2 that you can't say they are the same anymore. I do however believe that this day will not arrive soon. Not for years.

Level 6
What's with all the hate with DotA 1? And don't give me that "because it sucks" shit.

wait what?... lol we are discussing about if dota 1 is dead or not.. cause i am still waiting for the update but its been a long time since then..

Wew.. read first before you comment... actually i am always defending dota 1 against haters.. wew..

Level 22
Try accessing it on a different time, maybe the site/forums is just undergoing maintenance.

Level 12
cause i am still waiting for the update but its been a long time since then..
You are 'still' waiting? What do you mean? The DotA 2 6.82 is out 4 days or so.
Even if IceFrog is highly motivated, this will take weeks before coming to DotA 1.

Level 25

Yes, DotA deserves some credit for reviving mapmaking. But, it definitely also deserves some hate for killing it in the first place.

Back in 2003-2004, WoW took many mapmakers and custom game players away. Over the following years, just about everyone left to go play DotA. But the problem was twofold: DotA is a map in warcraft, so in addition to taking people away, the map also flooded the servers and made it very difficult to play anything else.

I'll admit that war3 probably wouldn't have been as big as it was if it wasn't for DotA.

Level 9
Is Dota 1 dead?
in a word. Yes.

I would have to say Yes, it is dead, community wise, I mean, think of it this way, Do people play more SC 1 or SC 2 online? SC 2! Because the point is to make it better, DotA 2 to be honest is MUCH easier to connect online, it's designed that way, you don't need Warcraft III, then a Battle.net account, then a Map (version whatever is the most updated), and then wait around for 3 hours for 9 other players to join, to play ONE MATCH.

DotA is the classic, granted, and good for it. But DotA 2 is meant to be easier to connect it's all compacted, there are way more features, it has the QWER which I can still not figure out how to change in game of Warcraft III, it has custom models and gear, it has rewards, it has tournaments, and it's FREE, to play DotA 1 you actually have to BUY a game to play this mod on it...

I really cannot think of a reason why DotA 1 shouldn't be dead. But hey, that's just cake for thought.

Level 12
in a word. Yes.

I would have to say Yes, it is dead, community wise, I mean, think of it this way, Do people play more SC 1 or SC 2 online? SC 2! Because the point is to make it better, DotA 2 to be honest is MUCH easier to connect online, it's designed that way, you don't need Warcraft III, then a Battle.net account, then a Map (version whatever is the most updated), and then wait around for 3 hours for 9 other players to join, to play ONE MATCH.

DotA is the classic, granted, and good for it. But DotA 2 is meant to be easier to connect it's all compacted, there are way more features, it has the QWER which I can still not figure out how to change in game of Warcraft III, it has custom models and gear, it has rewards, it has tournaments, and it's FREE, to play DotA 1 you actually have to BUY a game to play this mod on it...

I really cannot think of a reason why DotA 1 shouldn't be dead. But hey, that's just cake for thought.

dead != less active. Your arguments are valid but learn to use the right word in the right place.

Level 10
wait what?... lol we are discussing about if dota 1 is dead or not.. cause i am still waiting for the update but its been a long time since then..

Wew.. read first before you comment... actually i am always defending dota 1 against haters.. wew..

"If dead then rejoice warcraft III community and let the wc3 custom maps dominate the warcraft scene again!..."
gg no re

Level 18
I play both.
I play dore dota2 than DotA, because it's easier to find games in the mode i want, no hackers and this stuff, but to be honest, i still feel more confortable with the good old w3 dota.. don't think it's dying or will die, since if icefrog tries shutting it down, there will surely be someone else contnuing it

Level 20
"Yeah i know.. but icefrog is too busy now on dota 2.. and they said that AI Team are gone... the last AI version is the last .. they name it "farewell"..."

There's a new AI version "DotA v6.81b AI" made by chinese i guess but it is translated into english. Search in the google.

Level 6
in iceFrog facebook page he said DotA 6.81 will be the last update for dotA 1 ^^
but DotA 1 will still be well played for at least 2 years in my opinion.
and excpect warcraft 4 between 2016 and 2018, there will be DotA 4 (or what ever) maybe :D

Level 1
DotA 1 is even more toxic than LoL atm, I went 6-8 and were told these things:
1) my life is worthless
2) to uninstall WC3 and kill myself
3) That these guys have fucked my dad

Play on ENT bots atm and its truly disgusting, have begun to transition to DotA 2 and its alot better. The thing is I'm told this almost everygame or so.

Level 1
DotA will not be dead so early, let's see some facts:

- Some dota 1 players cannot react with the HQ graphics (this is lol but true, my bro will be one of the examples. He says that dota2 is more complicated than dota1 as Dota 1 uses Warcraft 3 style simple terrain)
- People always want to try the new things. I believe there are still some people who love Dota in Warcraft3 style.
- Old versions do not cause dead. I saw some people played DOTA v6.63b AI at CC this year. Not everyone stands for "must play the newest version" so even dota1 is stopped at v6.81, that will not cause dota 1 to die.
- Maphack tools support some fools.

Level 10
DotA 1 is even more toxic than LoL atm, I went 6-8 and were told these things:
1) my life is worthless
2) to uninstall WC3 and kill myself
3) That these guys have fucked my dad

Play on ENT bots atm and its truly disgusting, have begun to transition to DotA 2 and its alot better. The thing is I'm told this almost everygame or so.

both games are toxic lol

I think DotA is a big reason why Warcraft 3 is still being played, and why there are modders, because I, myself learned about modding because of DotA. As I noticed as DotA 2 becomes more popular, a lot less people play not only Dota 1, but also custom games (in garena). So I think we shouldn't hate on DotA 1 'cause a lot of players of custom maps are DotA players. Well, that's my opinion anyway

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
I wish it wasn't dead.. i grew up on dota 1 .. i love dota 2 but they made everything zoo high quality and going from dota1 too that is kinda hard, just like going from DIABLO LOD too the DIABLO 3 format.. what I'm saying is i love the old version better. As for war3 soon that is gonna be dead i believe but i may be wrong.. every time i get on there its dead.

Level 6
I wish it wasn't dead.. i grew up on dota 1 .. i love dota 2 but they made everything zoo high quality and going from dota1 too that is kinda hard, just like going from DIABLO LOD too the DIABLO 3 format.. what I'm saying is i love the old version better. As for war3 soon that is gonna be dead i believe but i may be wrong.. every time i get on there its dead.

Some thing better is coming 27th january, keep tunned ;)

Level 17
Yes its dead, since Getdota is out of date and playdota gone. Also when i go to the usual EU Dota Public room, its empty /j dota allstars D:

Level 17
Dota1 is better than Dota2.

Dota2 is just about hats, and they really fucked up with balancing and game mechanics.

Lol at the initial introduction of the additional gold on kill based on networth difference.

Jesus its like the devs for Dota don't even think anymore. Also the game became to casual, and to try and stop this instead of reversing the core game mechanics that they changed in the new versions, they just made things worse by literally shitting on the game. They tried to artificially lengthen games, because the current meta has really short games because the game mechanics are fucked up (night) (base gold per second) (cost of item/start gold) (Camp switches)--(Hero ability reworks were pretty stupid as well, well some of them --PL literally useless now xD)

Level 4
I agree with you. It was good before but not now. 6.82 rreally changed the game to more action based playstyle. Early game heroes now don't have any mechanic to influence late game more than supporting and buying wards. Man I love playing supp, but let's just say if you want my wards and heal you have to deserve them. All in all dota 2 changed too much now, I won't go in reasons for that, althoough some guesses are pretty logical. I would semi-worship it if it stayed the same, as dota ''evolution'' or whatever, but I don't think that except two bases, and heroes (and it wouldn't be suprising to me if that changed 100 per cent) dota 2 has no reason to be succesor for dota 1 more than lol or hon. So dota is dead and it wont live on as dota 2. Smth like latest indiana jones xd

Level 17
Early game heroes now don't have any mechanic to influence late game more than supporting and buying wards.
that is not true. Early games heroes can still influence the late game really much by hindering the enemy's carrys farm or having ridiculous disable spells.

but let's just say if you want my wards and heal you have to deserve them
wut

(Hero ability reworks were pretty stupid as well, well some of them --PL literally useless now xD)
i have to agree with that, most of the ability reworks were stupid. also the terrain change and new bounty runes are really weird.

still, i wouldn't say that dota 1 is better than dota 2 because of the following reasons:
-ranking system (players are all on the same level and games are more balanced than in battle net for example)
-better engine, of course. game reacts faster. dota 1 has no future because the world editor won't be able to handle the game if they put in more code and stuff
-searching system, really easy to find a game
-and of course, easier to learn for newcomers

since dota league closed in dota 1 there was no reason to play dota 1 anymore - sadly :/

Level 4
Early games heroes can still influence the late game really much by hindering the enemy's carrys farm or having ridiculous disable spells.
Well that is supporting. All you do now you have to do trough carries, whole advantage you have in early game as early game hero just melts later. Every game now gets decided in late game.

And for the ranking system, it's flawed, almost all are in team games. Even valve uses hidden mmr, and win rates in mm, and not only mmr.
But of course dota 2 has a LOT of good sides and is much more user friendly and easier to play.

The thing I most hate is the engine is not made for dota, and has some serious flaws, even if you ignore all the little stuff that changed how spells works etc.
But they will be moving to better engine now, which leaves just one change I personally dislike (6.82 gold/exp)

What I think we are looking at is dead game, and three successors (dota 2, hon, lol) where each of them has some elements of mother game(some more some less), but also has some differences (some more some less, don't look at names). So to get little biblical I would say, from players it came, to players it returns. XD

Level 6
6.83 for warcraft is officially out, the engine reacts well to the changes, i personally did not notice and speed degradation and PL reworking is better then the old one in my opinion.
Played DotA for two years and DOTA 2 for a year, and after the first week of play i'm a 100% sure about DOTA 2 being better.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Guys i am serious..

I try searching it in the google but www.playdota.com is not now available.. the forums about dota 1 is not even accesible..

And the last AI version of dota 1 said that... it is the last AI version they will made..

And i haven't hear much about now the dota 1 update so..

Is dota 1 dead or alive?.. (i mean is it still updated?)

If dead then rejoice warcraft III community and let the wc3 custom maps dominate the warcraft scene again!...

Good stuff never die. Good music, good books, good shows... and good games.
They live in the heart of their fans forever. Even if the engine and map are 15+ years old.

I still play Age of Empires 1 and that game is so old it brings me back to my childhood memories.

Fans will always come back to it, at one point or another.

But map wise, I do hope that wc3 mapmaking gets a flood of good maps, not just one that dominates them all.
Dota 2 is amazing, though I don't play it.

And AI wise, I don't think that dota will never get a new AI.
Like IceFrog said, if Dota has a community, he will continue to update the wc3 version one.
I'd like to believe that if IceFrog updates dota, he will find a new AI team to update the AI version.

Status
Not open for further replies.