• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Blizzard Killing Battle.Net?

Is Blizzard killing battle.net?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Who the hell is Sammy?

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EPW

EPW

Level 4
In the latest patch, 24, Blizzard broke any and all maps that contained JASS... furthermore, rumors are swirling that Blizzard is going to either:
A) charge for customized maps
OR
B) charge for Battle.Net altogether. Which begs the question...why is Blizzard being such bastards? Simple, and not a rumor at all, they suck and are greedy. Even though that is true, they have every right to charge for Battle.Net, even though I doubt many people would pay to play on B Net (then again, WoW sucks and 11 mil pay for it). Another question arises, from me and probably from others, if Blizzard will not even support Battle Net (I reported multiple problems such as hackers and harassers and they did shit), why should we pay for their crap? I mine as well host my own server and not pay shit...Anyway, what is your view?

Level 13
lol as long as dota is alive b net will be 2 since dota is 1 main reason b net is alive 2day

Level 13
lol 2 you it may but like half or more of the b net players are dota players sadly i hate 2 admit it but dota is still what kept bnet alive for wc3

Level 17
I highly doubt Blizzard would make what little community WC3 has left pay for Battle.Net or customized maps. They don't support the WE nor do they support Battle.Net.

And l2 has some logic... without DotA, WC3 might as well of been dead. Over half of the community play it. And the majority ONLY play it. But we will see when this Heroes of Newerth game comes out.

... If those rumours are true, Blizzard can go fuck themselves and create more horrible and repetative games.

Level 13
lol if we pay im just go around in bnet being a prick 2 people who like blizzard and see if i can find any1 working for blizzard 2 be a prick 2 and ya most people play dota thought blizzard for having great games like starcraft and wow and wc3 they dont always come up with the greatest/original ideas for games so it kinda makes me lose hope in blizz =[.

Level 12
these "rumors" are probably made up, i would even go so far to say you did it

They are not killing battle.net and they are not greedy. They need to make money somehow because they don't live in a communism(and the world isnt even close to being one). Starcraft being in 3 parts = great idea

If they start charging for Bnet, I can assure you all that some f***ing indian out in god-knows-where with a headset on calling themselves a blizzard employee is going to get an ear-full.

They will lose A LOT of players if they start charging for active play. Like honestly, come on. The only reason any of these games such as Diablo II, Starcraft, and the Warcraft trilogy have been as popular as they are is because any shmuck with a P.O.S computer can install and jump online for free.

As for DotA? It's sad but true, it is probably the main reason Warcraft is still popular as it is. Half of the community does play it, even though it does suck some major ones.

My review? F***in blizzard is gettin way too greedy. They need to step back for a second and take a look at why they're as rich as they are. Don't go nurfing all the good aspects of gameplay they have managed to sustain all these years.

Level 13
blizzard is partly greed so no 1 can say there not but they do have reazon for it idk if blizzard is have a lot of lay offs but if they aren't they may be wanting more money so they avoid doing this and for starcraft 2 being 3 games 1 thing i hate about that is buying all 3 games or even a pack for that matter its like all pc games are now multi dics you have to buy but still ok for its starcraft 2 and have the reason im interested is 2 learn about the creator guys lol and rispetto they dont need 2 step back for they can just move froward into a new era of gameplay heck maybe the new era of gameplay for pc is da sc2 you never know

Level 17
Exactly. But I doubt they will stop charging for games. Diablo III isn't going to be free to play, right? And when SCII comes out, they'll rake in MORE money. Seriously, I understand that they need funds for their many employees and all of the technical equipment, etc. but there is only so much money you can leak out of people. Especially during these times.

Level 13
since i wont prob even buy Diablo 3 since even thought it may be epic i lose intrest in Diablo 2 fast for some reason maybe my ADHD but idk and funding is 1 thing they do need i think becuase even if its for greed they may be putting it in the games like sc2 or Diablo 3
but also they are human and humans have a need 2 get everything and what there trying 2 get is are cash and i highly doubt there going 2 be stupid and charge something that no 1 will play if they are charged for it so we have hope on some things and all i can think of right now about the main reason blizz is being greedy is maybe because there bored of directors are all forced tongue people?

EPW

EPW

Level 4
well...
A) Battle Net will have like 1,000 players AT THE MOST across all realms if they charge (I seen that before in paid things)
B) How can Blizzard be losing money if they make hundreds of millions a month at the least?
and
C) If directors are getting bored, THEN STOP MAKING DIABLO 3 AND MAKE WARCRAFT 4 that we been waiting for for the past 4 years... diablo 2 sucked after you beat it in normal and diablo 3 will suck worse then the warcraft ver...no diss on cloudwolf, very good game, but diablo 3 just makes it sucky :p.

I don't care how you look at it, this is simple facts:

A) If they start charging for Bnet play yes it will bring in more money, but it will decrease their overall sales. So many sales it would actually make them lose money? Perhaps, probably not. But the fact remains it will decrease their sales. One of the things Blizzard has going for them is the amount of people whom play their games. Popularity get you sponsors. Popularity sells your product. Popularity essentially runs your business. You may have a Grade A product, but if nobody knows about it, what's the point? You won't make sails.
And guess what happens if their popularity goes down? Their sales. What happens then? People get fired. What happens then? Thousands of jobs are lost. Great. That's what America needs, less jobs. It's one giant chain.

B) People will start to hate Blizzard. I know I will. That's another contributing factor into their popularity; their current players. I can name three friends off the top of my head who i've already spoken to on this matter over msn and whom love Blizzard now, but would stop playing any and all games that started charging for Bnet play. It's not even about having the money in some cases, it's just one soul thing:

wtf?

Nobody wants to pay for anything. We're all cheap. Don't do it, Blizzard. You're only fucking yourselves.

Level 13
lol im 99 % they wont charge money since its not wow and its not like a super drug like wow unless you have self control unlike most people who play wow see b net not a super drug i got bored of it in awhile so if they charge for bnet there going to have to have something super addicting and make a huge player list way more then dota if they wish 2 charge us EPW if they make a warcraft 4 that's just asking them 2 make even more since wow usually goes by what wacraft dose for the story and crap and there working on SC2 so it will be awhile or nothing at all yes i am not a huge DIABLO fan since it bores me 2 eazly and its really just clicking most of the time so if they wont charge Bnet i bet you unless it turns into something like wow then we get charged so no real worry so far

Level 5
You should see Blizzard in 1996, that was a company who made quality games until 2003. After that they just become as EA.

Level 15
blizzard are killing b.net...
Vivendy's Blizzard hits Battle Net for 34358956 Frost damage (42425 resisted).
Battle Net dies.

Level 22
I made it 6:5 for 'No'. Where the heck did you hear/read about that crap that someone is going to add a fee on war3 Battle net? Have they done it for Starcraft where hacking is mostly developed? Diablo 2 LoD? Will they make SC2 paid to play it? No. Just for some features. These comments are useless since they r about something that's ridiculous to think of.

As for ruining BNet, I can say No.

- sure I hate that they decreased the experience gained in ladder, that made bnet worse, as it gives no stimule to spam 50-80 games more, but since it's only for 50 games more to get the same level, that's ok
- they never made hu vs ud balanced, hu vs other 3 races you don't need uber advantage to win, that shouldn't exist in SC2
- Thx to 1.24 you can host a better quality map in BNet cause you can make it with more models and stuff
- making many 3rd party progs not work anymore is in favor of gamers
- JASS ... well it's enough that 1 wrong thing and your map will crash. For me it is bs. Its whole idea is bs, it's not for maps.

Bnet is improving but the game is getting old, if it is falling it's cause of that, not because they don't improve it.

this thread is filled with noobs.

Anyways, the fix was something extremely necessary. Through the return bug any one could run arbitrary machine code into your computer by just using a map. In other words anyone could run a virus into your computer without you noticing it.

Why fixing this in the way they did it? Blizzard Entertaiment is a company that produced the game, if through the video game you can redestribute any virus then the company would be responsible for any damage done by the virus and, therefore, they could be sued for a great amount of money.

Maps will recover within some time. If the original author doesn't recover them, anyone can just extract the map's .j and fix up the return bug. It's just matter of time.

Level 6
I think everyone is panicking too much. First off, they are not going to be making you pay for Battle.net or Battle.net 2.0. That's confirmed. Second, I agree with BlinkBoy; the maps are going to recover regardless of the current status of the maps. It is, in the long run, better overall.

Maybe Blizzard should stop pissing around and maybe develop a program such as Warden (they have no problem disabling the useful third party programs which we use) and stop these kinds of maps from being released, Blinkboy? Instead of ruining half the decent maps in this game (most of which are very old and the original creators either don't play or don't care) maybe try getting your shit together and fixing these issues that are plaguing our community. Yes I think Blizzard is ruining Bnet because I think they can do a better job at getting their shit together. As for
this thread is filled with noobs.
take your comments somewhere else, buds. I came here to discuss something that happens to be on my mind, not get insulted by the likes of you.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

First off, they are not going to be making you pay for Battle.net or Battle.net 2.0. That's confirmed.

Not to be rude or anything, but can I see some proof of this confirmation?

Level 7
do you have any evidence that these stuff will happen? if blizzard kill battle.net they kill themselves.

i dont think they'll do it, and even if they do people will be determined to hack the games and play online anyway, then they will be fucked even more.

Level 7
Killing battle.net means total suicide for blizzard, since Wc3 is my first blizzard game, one of my 2 (Yes... I have WoW, it was fun, got bored, now I came back and found it's shit, the patches ruined it; I thin WotLK pwned it too...). It's also my best game ever, since after a break of playing another game, I always return to bnet.. Killing it will kill their own company and thousands (maybe more)
no-lifers like me that really like staying on bnet. I got MSN because of bnet, I... errr.. hmm... got a graphics pad because of wc3 to show my crap skins in my crap maps on bnet.. etc...

I can't imagine a blizz game without multiplayer, and also, SC2 is not a crap game.

Level 7
on the same subject, blizzard said sometime that in SC2 we will not be able to play on LAN to encourge the use of battle.net.
so if they gonna take LAN from us there is now way in the world they will charge us for battle.net

Level 19
Well if Blizzard seriously needs the money, then secret charge every player of Battle.Net or even Warcraft III $1 per year without telling them, like that, they can earn at least a Million after a few years and it'd just cost a secret $1...

Level 7
Well if Blizzard seriously needs the money, they can rob a bank.

i dont think blizzard is missing any money. and trust me that WoW earns them more than 10 milion dollars a month (much much more).
and RTS game servers dosnt need so much mainteince to take money from you every month.

on the same subject, blizzard said sometime that in SC2 we will not be able to play on LAN to encourge the use of battle.net.
so if they gonna take LAN from us there is now way in the world they will charge us for battle.net

If they kill LAN play they will kill all of the WCIII private servers (such as Garena). If they do that, they will lose sales in overall games, considering over 10,000 people play the private servers and rely on them for enjoyment.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Blizzard broke any and all maps that contained JASS

EPW, please do research before posting. It may stop you posting lies like this due to you being grossly unimformed on the subject. For the last time blizzard tried and failed to fix a bug, it was partly fixed however so this is to be expected and for god sake they even warned you.

My Green Circle TD Gold is 100% pure JASS coded, and it is 1.24 compatible even though I have not updated it since the patch has been released or even made it with the betas. Think im lieing? No, its called all maps which did not use the typecasting return bug or trigger the new false positive bug function perfectly normally. Yes a lot of JASS maps did use this, however that does not mean all, as my map cleary proves you wrong with that statement.

It is good they have got rid of direct LAN, afterall, no one ever used it. As soon as you played through the internet it was not even LAN anymore, and thus blizzard is helping you by allowing you to play online directly, so you poor people do not have to revert to private servers via lan to play online. Yes that means all pirates are stuffed and will not be able to multiplayer, but who cares about them. Do not forget that in battlenet, you will still be able to LAN play with people.

May I remind you the purpose of LAN was for LOCAL play on a LAN network, as soon as you involve any internet play, it kills the purpose of it and so it should be removed. People who play on private servers, will just have to get used to playing with more people. Infact, why the hell are they even playing on a bloody private server in the first place. LAG is not a valid reason as SC2 is almost garunteed to not suffer the same delay WC3 does due to being designed in the time of faster connections.

Also, blizzard will 100% offer free online SC2 modding and play (if you brought the game), as that was the whole appeal of WC3. They however will most likly add an array of pay features, which probably include extended friends lists, less adds (if any), custom turniments, clan crap and possiably other features.

Just like D3 will also be free to play and payers and free people will have no advantage over eachother.

If they impliment a pay to play pollicy for SC2 or D3, it will kill 75% of their sales and fans which makes no fancial sense. In 1 year odd SC2 would be abandoned so it would result in them suffering a massive loss.

May I remind you that battlenet is a lot cheaper to run that WoW, thus fees are just stupid. It is basically a few data servers which pass IP and account data, provide patches and analise warden report data. I strongly say that blizzard should encourage advertising on battlenet to help pay for it. Adds may be annoying, but they are barable and will not ruin their reputation.

Level 7
i think blizzard are getting rid of the LAN so people will stop using Garena and the likes (which makes piracy very compeling) and will start using battle.net even for LANish stuff.

the new battle.net will be better then the old one, so hopefuly there will be no need for LAN.

Level 3
I'm afraid I can't actually comment on the effect that they are having on battlenet. I play on a heavily frequented local server, and we are not going to upgrade to 1.24 until they sort their **** out that they're causing with their funky patches.
So I guess that in itself tells me that they are doing bad stuff to battle.net with their patches. Why do we play on a local server? Because we don't have one for our continent ie: Africa.

Re: charging a few - I skimmed about half the posts in this thread, and my answer to whether/why they would start charging is: Why?
1)It will make people start more local servers.
2)They already are, and have been, milking WoW for years upon years. They could no doubt all have retired a few years after WoW started lol.
3)It will lose them players.

Level 6
My opinion?

Blizzard is just another greedy company,our money is their daily drug.The only thing special about Blizzard is;money weren't the main reason why the produced all their games till The Burning Crusade.

Gongrats Blizz,
You have won the following phrase from EA:
Fuck up everything ;d

EDITAnyway,I dont think B-Net will stop us making maps,models,skins or anything else.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You lot really should grow up and stop acting like kids...

Patch 1.24 was not a fuck up, on the countary it was a total sucess. Yes there are bugs, but those bugs will soon be fixed. Already the false positive bug has been delt with in 1.24b and the typecasting should be a thng of the past.

Any problem with maps is entirly the authors fault, they had 3-4 months to do fixes and failed to do so. Already maps like EotA, SWAT AM (unoffical fix) and may RPGs are compatible, and soon many more should be.

The only other bad thing with the patch is with GUI, however few people care about that and as all my coding is JASS, it makes no difference.

Level 7
i dont know about the changes made to the GUI, but i find it realy hard to belive that blizzard relesed a patch just to fuck the costumors.

this patch is not useless for non-mappers becouse it allows better maps (if not with better codes then with the new 8 mb limit).

and face it, people also do stuff for money. you should thank blizzard for getting thier money by making high quility games and not shiting crap quiality games all over the place like other companies.

Level 22
You lot really should grow up and stop acting like kids...

Patch 1.24 was not a fuck up, on the countary it was a total sucess. Yes there are bugs, but those bugs will soon be fixed. Already the false positive bug has been delt with in 1.24b and the typecasting should be a thng of the past.

Any problem with maps is entirly the authors fault, they had 3-4 months to do fixes and failed to do so. Already maps like EotA, SWAT AM (unoffical fix) and may RPGs are compatible, and soon many more should be.

The only other bad thing with the patch is with GUI, however few people care about that and as all my coding is JASS, it makes no difference.

Exactly - I thought 1.24 was something useless at first, then realized the importance of more hacks prevention and hosting my map :) that was 5 MB on BNet. SO this turnt out to be one of the most important patches!

Level 14
Still the major part of Warcraft community doesn't even care about coding so this patch for them is useless. Also there are still many people that use GUI and not JASS.

You know that it had to be fixed becouse there was a way to get viruses into wc3?

Status
Not open for further replies.