• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Inspiration Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
This Thread is for posting Inspirations for terrains.

for example "An Elven Village" would be an inspiration. Just don't be too specific and provide a whole list of details you want to be included,just let them do their thing and see what they come up with.

All i ask is that you don't spam or flame others terrain in this thread. You can just post an inspiration instead of a terrain if you want.If someone posts their terrain and gives a new inspiration, post your terrain anyway, so that we can comment on it.

This will be the Inspiration for the next person: An Elven Village

Last edited:
Level 21
Elven village without lighting and one with. Next inspiration: Mountain forest.

Attachments

• Elven Village.jpg
    Elven Village.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 329
  • Elven Village #2.jpg
    Elven Village #2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 282
Level 34
Are they small elves? The buildings look tiny. :p Good work though. The lighting one has weird lines in it. I'd try and fix that.

Level 21
They're just elves, their buildings are magic and everything inside is huge :p
The lines are where one light crosses over another, only way to counter that is by making one big one, which would take out all highlights, so I just left it like that. Dunno how to fix it otherwise, except for sticking in a big doodad.

Level 15
Nice work Belgarath. Both look nice but the one with lighting has strange lines in it, I can't wait until I get my new PC in two weeks so tha I can try that lighting technique.

Offspring, I think he meant a forest ON a mountain, not several trees around a hill. Remember to take your time, don't rush your terrains, they'll turn out much nicer.

Level 36
Nice work Belgarath. Both look nice but the one with lighting has strange lines in it, I can't wait until I get my new PC in two weeks so tha I can try that lighting technique.

Offspring, I think he meant a forest ON a mountain, not several trees around a hill. Remember to take your time, don't rush your terrains, they'll turn out much nicer.

^ What he said!

Well here's my mountain forest screenshot. Hope you like! :D

Attachments

• MountainForest.jpg
    MountainForest.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Level 15
Very nice void, one thing I notice with your terrains, you seem to find a tree model you like then you stick with that tree model for several terrains then you find another one and use that one.

Anyway, a new inspiration: An orc city or fortress, whichever you prefer.

Level 36
Very nice void, one thing I notice with your terrains, you seem to find a tree model you like then you stick with that tree model for several terrains then you find another one and use that one.

Anyway, a new inspiration: An orc city or fortress, whichever you prefer.

Yes, right now I am loving that pine lol. Nice trunk model with roots and the leaves are just the right thickness.

Level 15
Yeah I know the doodad name but I can't open the UTM so I have to extract all of the files using MPQ Master but I can't find an MDX in the imports section labeled as Light from Above. If you can find it for me i'd be very greatful. I think i'll pm dung and ask if he knows.

New inspiration: Treehouse

Level 36
Yeah I know the doodad name but I can't open the UTM so I have to extract all of the files using MPQ Master but I can't find an MDX in the imports section labeled as Light from Above. If you can find it for me i'd be very greatful. I think i'll pm dung and ask if he knows.

I think I found it, it's LightCircle.mdx and LightCircle45g.mdx

Level 6
Man, I really need to get in on this action so here's that floating city you wanted (even though you changed it Void :) but I felt like doing this one instead.
Did it in about 45 mins.
Next inspiration: Canyons, deep canyons :)

Attachments

• FloatingCity (CinematicTerrain).jpg
    FloatingCity (CinematicTerrain).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 136
Level 15
'Bout time, I was gonna ask if you wanted to participate. Also, you can do any inspiration that was posted earlier.
About your terrain, I think nudl meant something like MadseNs floating city. The black doodad does ruin it.

@ Belgarath: We got accepted :)

Last edited:
Level 34
You question my Moderating intelligence? I would never neg rep for this, I'm quite happy he did.

Level 10
Small Orc Base

I read earlier in this post about a "orc city or fortress" I made this, but it turned out more like an Orc Base, however i think its close enough.

This terrain is for an RPG im making. The story about the base is, that a group of orcs settled an area of ashenvale, becase of some reason that i have not made yet...haha but i think the base look pretty nice.

BTW...this is defenatly a WIP and suggestions are welcome
BTW...again...this terrain is 100% playable, the bridge is walkable, and so are the stairs.

Ohh and next inspiration...A secret (kinda hidden) troll jungle camp?

Attachments

• rpg1.jpg
    rpg1.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 140
  • rpg2.jpg
    rpg2.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 131
  • rpg3.jpg
    rpg3.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 127
  • rpg4.jpg
    rpg4.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 161
  • rpg5.jpg
    rpg5.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 121
Level 34
You were supposed to make a beach, but I guess doing an old one is okay.

Now the next one is a BEACH!

Status
Not open for further replies.