• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Inquery about using custom skins for Wc3 models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi, I'm new to this and I was wondering how I skin Warcraft III models with custom skins. Didn't find it here on the site so I thought I might aswell ask.

The reason why I'm asking is that I've begun "re-making" the Warcraft II campaing in Warcraft III. And for that I need custom skins to work on some models. Let me know if you are intrested in aiding me in the project. So Sorry if I posted this wrong but as I said, I'm new.

Thanks! :infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 7
Level 1
Yeah but I got some sweet Wc2 building skins from this site some day ago and I thought that it'd be cool if I could implent them. Else it won't do me any good :witch_doc_sad:

Ok I figured out how to replace a texture in this Warcraft III viewer thing that gromhellscream666 recommended by how do I get it to save the model with the new texture, so that said model will be updated in-game? Looking forward to your replies. :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 32
To just apply a custom skin to a model simply determine the correct texture path using Warcraft III Viewer, rename the custom skin to the original skin's name, import it into the map and apply the skin with WE's Object Editor. This will apply the skin to ALL models in the map that use that skin.

If you wish to use BOTH original and custom skins on the same model in the same map you must::
  1. Use MPQ master v1.2.0 to extract the model that you want to use.

2. Use MDX Pather 1.01 to change the texture path to that of your custom skin. Save the .mdx including the new path.

3. Import the model and custom skin into the map and assign the texture the correct path.

4. Apply the model to an ability, doodad or unit using WE's Object Editor.

Level 1
... apply the skin with WE's Object Editor. This will apply the skin to ALL models in the map that use that skin.

This is the part where I fail. How do I "skin" the model in Object Editor? I have no idea on how to do this. Please enlighten me with your divine mapmaking wisdom! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.