• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Improving movement performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I need a lot of units to move at once. Can you tell me anything to improve movement performance, so the units stop lagging?

Like in Legion TD x10 there are hundreds of units per one player moving without any issues at once. How did they achieve that?

Level 39
I believe this limitation comes into play when too many units owned by a single player are trying to move. You can try splitting it up so there are multiple computer slots that each control some of the units. You can then change those computer players' color and name so they visually appear to be the same player.

Less sure about this but it could also be a problem with having an AI computer in that slot. Try giving the units to a player slot that doesn't explicitly have a computer player slotted into it. By that I mean one that doesn't show on the loading screen, and don't use neutral hostile/passive.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Like in Legion TD x10 there are hundreds of units per one player moving without any issues at once. How did they achieve that?
Reduce unit collision side. Preferably give them the ghost ability so they can pass through each other without colliding. Simplifying the pathing map with reasonably open spaces also helps.

The limit is because Warcraft III only calculates a fixed number of unit movement commands per unit time per player. These movement commands last a finite length as they are pretty much a simple movement vector.

The main loss in movement performance comes when units start to collide with things as unit collisions cause the unit to immediately stop and discard any remaining distance from the movement command. Since more units are now stopped awaiting movement commands there are more collision hazards for other units. The result is a cascade which causes movement performance to fall well below the theoretical maximum that can be achieved in simple tower defences.

Status
Not open for further replies.