• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Imports Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey,

When Starcraft II comes out I will be exploring making medieval, warcraft and just in general many different styles of maps, but I was wondering on how big a custom model is (Averaged) when imported into SC2? I understand the quality of models will be much better then those of wc3 so how will we determine how many KB/MB's a model will be? If a model is 1 MB that will suck, but what is the limit of MB's allowed per map, if there is a limit.

So in short my two questions are

1.How big is an average quality model?
2.What is the limit of MB's for maps in SC2?

Thankyou.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The marine model (the most developed and commonly used model in SC2).
The model is about 400 KB with 200 KB when compressed.
Each texture layer is 350 KB (100-200 KB when compressed and varies on contense) and there are 3 of them.
There is 400 KB worth of blood textures.
There are 2+ MB or so of death animations.

The marine portrait
Uses 4 1.3 MB textures (1 MB compressed).
The marine portrait model is 300 KB (150 KB compressed).

The maximum map size is 8 MB however this does not include the size of mods it can use and it is believed that there are no limits to the number of mods a map can use.
The maximum mod size is unknown.
Each account has 4 slots with a 20 MB odd max total for the 4. Using mods made by other people will not affect your total.

As you can see, the portrait model is 4 MB, the main marine model is 1 MB with multiple MB of death animation models and upgrades like shields. Prety small stuff.

The marine model (the most developed and commonly used model in SC2).
The model is about 400 KB with 200 KB when compressed.
Each texture layer is 350 KB (100-200 KB when compressed and varies on contense) and there are 3 of them.
There is 400 KB worth of blood textures.
There are 2+ MB or so of death animations.

The marine portrait
Uses 4 1.3 MB textures (1 MB compressed).
The marine portrait model is 300 KB (150 KB compressed).

The maximum map size is 8 MB however this does not include the size of mods it can use and it is believed that there are no limits to the number of mods a map can use.
The maximum mod size is unknown.
Each account has 4 slots with a 20 MB odd max total for the 4. Using mods made by other people will not affect your total.

As you can see, the portrait model is 4 MB, the main marine model is 1 MB with multiple MB of death animation models and upgrades like shields. Prety small stuff.

In other words, Blizzard wants to sc*** with us. Seriously, Mods are gonna have limits as well.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Its cause server space aint free. This however does mean that theft will be impossible cause it will cleary show who had the resource first and duplicate names are prevented.

Also keep in mind there will be expansions and for fairness they might add extra slots per expansion.

Level 7
I would guess they are adding more slots by release.

Also, this system is far better than WC3's, so meh. :\

That's a matter of opinion. I think it's quite stupid that map names can't be duplicated simply because someone else used it first and it just seems like Blizzard is trying to appease the whiny people who cry whenever someone rips off their map even though it really doesn't matter.

Level 11
Be more creative with naming your map?

I mean, it seems rather obvious that something like "Marine Arena" would be taken. Additionally, if you had some names you really wanted, I suppose you could just publish blank maps with that name privately until your project was ready :\

Status
Not open for further replies.