• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
OK, I have a map that i am working on, but there are a few people working on it, so we cant obviously work on it at the same time. So we decided to do parts of the map seperately. So the problem is that i made some stuff to add to this map (a builder) and i would like to know of there was an easy way to combine the maps, including triggers, units, abilities, variables. I know that there is the import and export functions, but when you do this it says that if you import data from another map, it replaces all of ur old data with that data, in other words it deletes all of your current stuff (for example triggers) and brings in the stuff from other map. I wanna know if i can easily combine both maps without having to go back and forth copying and pasting EVERYTHING from one map to the other because this will take a loooooooong time.

:fp:>>>>>Rep if you help me<<<<<<< :wthumbsup:

Level 11
ok thanks guys for that you both get rep.
But before i download it and become a member and blah blah blah, is this hard to use, cuz i have no experience with jass. If i need to know some stuff on how to use it properly can you please give me link to tutorial?

Level 11
ok. The word jass just scared me a lil lol. But I got NewGen and i exported my data, units/abilities/triggers etc, it exported to a folder fine, but when i do merge object data it allows me to do spells and upgrades, but i dont see them appear in my map, same with triggers. And for units it says i cant import for sum wierd reason. I also heard NewGen isnt as good as the default World Editor, can i save it wit NewGen then open wit regular WE? Can you help me or maybe direct me to a good tutorial if its too hard to explain thanks

Level 8
Grimex Documentation said:
If you want the new objects to show up in the object editor you need to close and reopen the map WITHOUT manually saving it. When using the tool from the menu this step is MANDATORY. Also do only merge object files that have been exported with the File Exporter tool to Objects\ or the export object data function of the world editor. Otherwise TRIGSTR references could be missing.

I've quoted this from the documentation that comes with NewGen.
The starting point is NewGen\NewGenReadme.html and from there it links to NewGen\Grimext\GrimexManual.html which contains the information I posted above.

What does the error say when you import units?

Level 11
ok i attached a picture of what the error says when i try to load unit data

EDIT:
I fixed it! I was just EXPORTING the object data incorrectly. Thank you sooo much for the help you dont even know how much time this saved me!!!! +rep to all who responded in this post :)

EDIT again:
ok im kinda pissed off. This shit is being gay. Almost ALL of my units are messed up. They have mostly the same stuff as before, but now the base unit changed somehow. For example i made a repair tower that repairs buildings, and i believe the original unit i used was a farm. But for some stupid reason when i merged it ot changed the base unit to high elven swordsman, so now thats its model and stuff, but it still has the right name and all of the text stuff and some other stuff is alright, but this seems like such a random thing to happen and idk whats wrong.
Also, some of the abilities never got transferred, actually i dont think any did. And the upgrades arent there as well. The triggers worked 100% perfectly. Another thing that happened is that i had an ability (swap, like the one in DotA) and it obviously required trigger, but that ability didnt transfer and in the trigger and unit that knew that ability it was replaced with "Inferno (item)".
Can you tell me whats wrong with this and if i can fix it?

Attachments

• error2.JPG
    error2.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Level 8
You'd have to close and re-open the map immediatey after each import, so they can show up in the object editor. Also there are 3 types of import (import, merge and replace i think). The documentation should tell you which one suits your needs.

Simply use the backup of your map from the backups directory if there was a problem the first time.
As for the units file: it probably has an unknown file version, you can try re-exporting it before you try again,.

Status
Not open for further replies.