• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

{Important thread} JASScraft??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Go to Tutotials section -> Jass/AI scripts there are few jass tutorials, I recommend wyrmlord's and Dealin's ones. Man jass is easier than GUI, trust me. I have been with GUI for 4-5 years, learnt jass at the begining of July. Yes, just one month. Surely I don't know all the tricks and still have some problems from time to time, but at least I'm doing all the triggers I have been doing in GUI in Jass now =)

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Start with simple triggers. Create one in GUI, then go Edit -> convert to custom text and try to make it look like proper jass spell (remove unneeded code, replace BJs with natives, use locals etc). Make sure you save a copy for that spell so you can always try again ^^. Personaly, after 3 spells converted from GUI to Jass this way I started jassing like in GUi before.

But if you never met any programing language before it may not be so easy. Yes, I've been programing about 2-3 years - if you want to ask.

Level 19
Hmm...
The tutorials might seem hard to understand at first, maybe trying to get help via the Hive Chat could prove to be a better alternative.
After all, that's how I learnt JASS, from some kind members who were willing to teach me, so yeah, I'm sure they'll explain it to you as well:)

Level 17
That's why I said if you have NewGen... I believe NewGen won't work if you don't have wc3 installed...

and newgen also has a list of jass natives/constants...

That doesn't change the fact that i'm using both the JNGP and jasscraft together at the same time, because for what i've said jasscraft is just much more comfortable to use than simply tesh, maybe the JNGP is enough for you, but not for me.
Ofc i could live without jasscraft but since this very nice tool exists i wouldn't see why i should ignore it.

Level 17
that's a matter of opinion, you like using both, I like using only JNGP... and its totally fine, its our own preferences... haha...

Using more "..." won't make your sentences better.

Sometimes it's useful to scroll down common.j/blizzard.j/common.ai/whatever.j, and jasscraft will highlight it correctly (excepted jass prepocessors ofc like vJass).

Also there is a bug with tesh, try to minimize a window instead of close it.

Jasscraft has more options for searching.

It's a fact that jasscraft is more comfortable to use for searching functions/constants, it's not an opinion.
I could say more things theses ones are just the ones which are in the top of my head.

Now again you could live without jasscraft (you do) but i really hate when people use mass "..." when it's not justified, nothing personnal.

End of the story for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.