• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Illidan Stormrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I thought I would reskin Illidan to be more like he is in WoW, cause the wc3 skin wasn't quite good enough for me.

Here's a screenshot of the WIP.

if someone has suggestions about the stuff I've done give them.

Pants are recolor with sections marked that will be different, torso is recolor w/ tattoo removal, and hair is unaltered. All very much WIP.

Attachments

• Illidan Skin Preview.jpg
    Illidan Skin Preview.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 32,840
Level 17
Ah reminds me of the skin I started for him
Never finished it though..
Nice work so far

Thanks.

Did the horns and torso (no tattoos yet).

Edit: Next WIP

Upper arms done.
Bandage Wrappings Started.
Pantlegs done.
Pants Trim about 50% done.
Eyes tweaked.

Attachments

• Illidan Skin Preview.jpg
    Illidan Skin Preview.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6,515
  • Illidan Skin Preview3.jpg
    Illidan Skin Preview3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 16,564
Last edited:
Level 17
wow i like it alot specially the face

Thanks. Still needs some work on the face though. I just tested the portrait for the first time.

Slight wrapping issue on the mount, and around the mouth mostly. It's coming along nicely though. Will likely have it finished some time tomorrow.

Attachments

• IllidanFacePreview1.png
    IllidanFacePreview1.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 967
Level 17
He looks far too happy for his own good.
Botox ftw?
--donut3.5--

ecactly what I'm talking about fixing. that has to do with illidans funny wrap, which im working on compensating for. and the corners of his mouth on the skin presently go past the edges of his actual mouth. These are the things I'm about half fixed and will have fixed by tomorrow night.

Edit: I think I fixed the face. He looks more like the snarling illidan we all know and love now. What do you guys think? do I need to lower the cheek muscles a bit more? what about the mouth?

Attachments

• IllidanFacePreview2.jpg
    IllidanFacePreview2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 702
Level 14
So End, then me, and now Darkholme are all going to have slightly different skins of the same character.

And as End said you should focus on the portrait. As long as it doesnt completely screw up the main models face then it wont matter much if it looks a little weird zoomed in a bit.

Oh and good luck on the blades...

Level 17
So End, then me, and now Darkholme are all going to have slightly different skins of the same character.

And as End said you should focus on the portrait. As long as it doesnt completely screw up the main models face then it wont matter much if it looks a little weird zoomed in a bit.

Oh and good luck on the blades...

The blades are easy, I already have an outline of the shape I just have ot fill in the details. And I guess there might be 3. whatever. People can download the one they want. I started it because there wasn't one already in existance. I had no idea you guys were also doing them. And End never bothered to finish his, which I take to mean its dead.

I have the portrait just about working as you can see in the screenshot, but I also wanted to show the actual model.

Edit: Here's the next Update.

Added the shape of the tattoos.
Rough Warglaive
Temporarily removed belt.
Organized the psd for faster editing.
Touched up the hair.

If you guys have suggestions about the face tell me what they are, don't be vague. actually, that goes for all of it. concise suggestions/constructive criticism.

Attachments

• Illidan Skin Preview4.jpg
    Illidan Skin Preview4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 81,382
Last edited:
Level 17
You need to make those eyes less close to the nose
Right now he looks Chinese almost :p

I hate how its inconsistant between the portrait and in game. it makes me angry. I designed it to wrap to the in game model and assumed that the portrait would wrap the same way (because it should have).

Anyways, here it is with different eye positions. And my first post of what the unwrap looks like, correspondingly.

Hive will probably do that thing where it gibbles the image and shrinks it with bad jpg compression. we'll see.

As you can see the current position looks best in game. and by best I mean it's goddamn perfect.

Should I move it onw pixel over, or 2? or maybe have photoshop render it half a pixel over?

Attachments

• Illidan Eye Positions.jpg
    Illidan Eye Positions.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,220
Level 17
Do the 2 one
The damn face in on the in game model doesnt matter and it looks fine
The portrait looks good like that
So make it dat one

the face on the in game model Does matter if you use anything besides the standard game camera, and what the in game model looks like is just as important as the portrait.

And I did the second one

Last edited:
Level 17
Here's the next WIP. Some of the skin might look pixelated. I upped the resolution I was working in from 256 to 1024 and I haven't adjusted all the stuff I did before to no longer be pixelated.

Worked on Wing Frames, Arm Wrappings, The Trim on the Pants, and the image on the handguard of the glaive (not shown)

It's starting to look finished. not that much more to do before its done. Touch up the details, finish detailing the weapon, Make better Hair, and Do the Hooves and Belt.

Edit: Just for fun, here is my current version of the skin standing next to Illidan from WoW.

Attachments

• Preview5.jpg
    Preview5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,256
  • Preview 6.jpg
    Preview 6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,282
Last edited:
Level 17
The bandages are preliminary. They need to be detailed still and given texture and depth. they aren't finished. far from it.

as for the hair, I haven't really done the hair at all. all I've done is extend the hairline and make it match the old hait, and remove the braided chunk. I guess i forgot to list that in shit i still have to do.

Anyone who's curious, my secret is lots of screenshots for reference. And I steal my colors from the screenshots or in a couple cases, right off the WoW skin to avoid shaders and such from interfering. Saves me alot of guessing the colors to try to get them close to accurate.

Last edited:
Level 6
One thing i noticed about the WoW Illidan is that he has bulky wings. Currently the "bones" of the wings are colored black in your version, while the WoW model has them match his skin color. Perhaps you should follow?

Level 17
One thing i noticed about the WoW Illidan is that he has bulky wings. Currently the "bones" of the wings are colored black in your version, while the WoW model has them match his skin color. Perhaps you should follow?

I would have, but the way blizzard designed the skin, most of the bone areas in the wings take their color from a section of hair. fo me to do it 'properly' I have to give him skin colored purple strips in his hair.

Here is my preliminary hair work

Attachments

• Hair Preview.jpg
    Hair Preview.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,830
Last edited:
Level 17
Looks amazing darkholme. Keep up the good work. Just two little things I notice. You should add a little darker shading where his pants change to his torso, and where the pant cuffs go to the main pants. Its to abrupt and could just use a tiny little darkening.

the top of the pants are unimportant. theres gonna b a belt drawn over them thats not there yet. but yeah, around the cuffs definitely. there are about a dozen little things to adjust/fix, plus the belt. the little things wont take too long.

Level 17
I think the anims for illidan are pretty good.

If you look at the wips from earlier in this thread youll see its not a cnp job.

The skin is almost done too.

Then I gotta shrink it down and optimize it for a smaller size

Edit: - Done

This is gonna be the final version unless someone sees something wrong with it. BLP included this time. feel free to test it out. if nobody sees anything wrong with it, ill upload it to the skins sections tomorrow.

::YouAreNotPrepared!:: <--that so needs to be a smiley

hmm..

do i need to up the contrast anywhere? if so, where?

Attachments

• Illidan.blp
    270.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Preview 8.jpg
    Preview 8.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7,498
Last edited:

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
ok, had to check the WoW Illidan for any inconsistencies... only ones i could find are that it has an upper lip, while yours doesn't and the eye glow could use some change as well. you're working in high res, so use it and get a nice shape for the eye.
aside from that, its a very accurate representation.

oh! and just a suggestion, if at any stage you shrink it down to 256 res, do it from the 1024 skin rather than the 512 one. theres some strange quirk that makes 512->256 look nasty.

Level 17
ok, had to check the WoW Illidan for any inconsistencies... only ones i could find are that it has an upper lip, while yours doesn't and the eye glow could use some change as well. you're working in high res, so use it and get a nice shape for the eye.
aside from that, its a very accurate representation.

oh! and just a suggestion, if at any stage you shrink it down to 256 res, do it from the 1024 skin rather than the 512 one. theres some strange quirk that makes 512->256 look nasty.

They eye glow is awkward to work with as to get that triangular eye shape its a mostly vertical oval that does it, and the 1024 skin looked awful when shrunk cause of lost details, so I edited it after shrinking. I'll see what I can manage in the way of an upper lip.

adding lips to the wc3 skin makes it look like he has blurry lipstick on. it looks better without it.

anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.