• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Idea for March of the Scourge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
unknown.png

Arthas goes on the blue path to the tower area and meets Sergeant Taelen Fordring and after their conversation he goes on to the city proper and notices the crates and that's where the mission starts

The map is somewhat based on the northern area of the Western Plaguelands in WoW and the northern-north area is something I found in Lordaeron the Aftermath

Hearthglen proper has very few trees to harvest lumber with but there's the forest area just south with a lumber mill. That area is somewhat exposed with a few barricades and rock chunks. The undead will start attacking the barrier around 15-20 minutes with their Meat Wagons

An extra optional quest is suggested where Mehlar Dawnblade, a High Elf Paladin will request you to retrieve a runestone from an Ogre Lord. Completing the quest will reward you with some reinforcements (High Elf Archers, Priests, Sorceresses, and Mehlar himself) and also unlocks the Sorceress for you to train. The area is based on the secret High Elf area from WoW Vanilla

On Hard difficulty, Undead Ravagers will also attack on north where the area is barely defended

suggested lores:

Taelan Fordring - Taelan Fordring is the son of Tirion Fordring, the former Highlord of Hearthglen and one of the first five Paladins created in the Second War against the Orcs. After Tirion was exiled for helping an orc, a man named Barthilas succeeded as the Highlord of Hearthglen; eventually, Barthilas was reassigned to Stratholme and Taelen assumed command in Hearthglen.

Mehlar Dawnblade - Although the Order of the Silver Hand accepted non-humans within the ranks such as Dwarves, very few High Elves such as Mehlar chose to join the Order. Like the High Elven Silver Hand Priests and Kirin Tor Sorceresses, Mehlar chose to ignore the High Elven King Anasterian Sunstrider's royal decree for all High Elves to return home after he seceded from the Alliance.

Last edited:

:D

I like a lot of this, I'd maybe tweak some bits here and there but by and large it looks good. For example the High Elf thing might be a bit too far in stretching the lore imo. Also maybe a more direct path from the Undead to Hearthglen would be good.

Also I don't think the initial section is necessary; can just start the cinematic of Arthas arriving in Hearthglen as usual. The biggest issue I can foresee is having only one entrance to defend may make things a bit too easy for the player. I would like to see the Lumbermill thing from WoW being integrated.

All in all though looks pretty good!

Level 15
I won't comment on the actual map layout because that isn't exactly a strength of mine, but I'll comment on the rest.

Taelan Fordring

My suggestion would be to avoid using him. The timeline surrounding him is quite confusing, for example, Thrall is in Of Blood and Honor to rescue Eitrigg the orc, but its set a decade or more before Warcraft 3 but that has been retconned to happen shortly before WC3. At the time that happened Taelan was a kid, or possibly not? It's confusing. But also, he's unlikely to ever appear again in future content for this mod. I know he was pretty important in early WoW but...

Not only that, but Arthas already has several Captains (Falric, Marwyn, Luc Valonforth) to juggle from the canon. I would suggest reusing one of those captains instead.

Mehlar Dawnblade

I wasn't in favour of this at all at first. There is very little lore surrounding high elven paladins during this era, and especially in the lore written around the time these games and early WoW was out. However, I had a little read up on his WoW content and it probably would work. I would've picked a Ranger as they were far more likely to range around outside Quel'thalas, but this Mehlar has history with both Arthas and Uther, so it could work to your advantage in terms of storyline. The quest and rewards seem fine, got no issues there.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
Also I don't think the initial section is necessary; can just start the cinematic of Arthas arriving in Hearthglen as usual. The biggest issue I can foresee is having only one entrance to defend may make things a bit too easy for the player. I would like to see the Lumbermill thing from WoW being integrated.

it's just so people wouldn't get confused like how did Arthas get in there; also isn't that a two pronged entrance just like in original campaign?

it's just so people wouldn't get confused like how did Arthas get in there; also isn't that a two pronged entrance just like in original campaign?

Hmmm, personally I disagree but that's just my opinion :) I think people could reasonably infer; it doesn't need to be shown explicitly.

From the map I see only one entrance to the main base, in the original the base has 3 entrances. Like I said though, it still looks good :)

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
From the map I see only one entrance to the main base, in the original the base has 3 entrances. Like I said though, it still looks good :)

wait it's actually 3 pronged (though one really doesn't count since that's from the same enemy base) plus one entrance above

upload_2021-2-14_23-5-43.png

we could even make the city proper have destructible City Buildings so we won't be able to build much there

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
Lores:

Taelan Fordring - Taelan Fordring is the son of Tirion Fordring, the former Highlord of Hearthglen one of the first five Paladins created in the Second War against the Orcs. After Tirion was exiled for helping an orc, a man named Barthilas succeeded as the Highlord of Hearthglen; eventually, Barthilas was reassigned to Stratholme and Taelen assumed command in Hearthglen.

Mehlar Dawnblade - Although the Order of the Silver Hand accepted non-humans within the ranks such as Dwarves, very few High Elves such as Mehlar chose to join the Order. Like the High Elven Silver Hand Priests and Kirin Tor Sorceresses, Mehlar chose to ignore the High Elven King Anasterian Sunstrider's royal decree for all High Elves to return home after he seceded from the Alliance.

I don't even know who they are xD
Why do you think they would add to the gameplay?
Taelon Fordring is the son of Tirion Fordring and the Lord of Hearthglen since his father was exiled after the events of the book Of Blood and Honour I believe.

Isillien was a member of the scarlet Crusade and mentor to Taelon but I don't think Isillien was in Hearthglen at this time. Adding Taelon would be a cool lore touch but I don't think Tirion or Isillien are necessary imo.

Level 18
Taelon Fordring is the son of Tirion Fordring and the Lord of Hearthglen since his father was exiled after the events of the book Of Blood and Honour I believe.

Isillien was a member of the scarlet Crusade and mentor to Taelon but I don't think Isillien was in Hearthglen at this time. Adding Taelon would be a cool lore touch but I don't think Tirion or Isillien are necessary imo.
Well, by the events of Classic WoW, Tirion is a hermit in the outskirts of the eastern Plaguelands, not too far away from Hearthglen but also not that close. You could decide whether he was close enough or not to help with repelling the Scourge. But it's just another missing link between WoW and WC3 that could be neat to explore.

In Scourge of Lordaeron Enhanced Tirion is an extra hero unit you can recruit if you bring Arthas to his hidden camp site. I always thought that was cool.

Well, by the events of Classic WoW, Tirion is a hermit in the outskirts of the eastern Plaguelands, not too far away from Hearthglen but also not that close. You could decide whether he was close enough or not to help with repelling the Scourge. But it's just another missing link between WoW and WC3 that could be neat to explore.

In Scourge of Lordaeron Enhanced Tirion is an extra hero unit you can recruit if you bring Arthas to his hidden camp site. I always thought that was cool.
Personally I don't think that would fit with the lore to have Tirion appear like that at all and also makes no sense. Arthas would be more likely to arrest him if he came near than accept him. Also based on the Ashbriger comics Tirion hadn't concerned himself with the outside affairs since his exile. It's a cool suggestion but imho i wouldn't agree with it.

Level 34
Is this Taelon Fordring a warrior or I could just use some kind of civilian NPC with its name?

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
You could probably replace the generic 'sergeant' or 'captain' with him altho the voice lines would probably sound too gruff/old for him.
yep that's my suggestion, the Captain in that chapter would just be renamed as "Highlord Taelen" or perhaps just "Captain/Sergeant Taelen"

Level 5
Taelan should definitely appear, though it might be interesting for other Scarlet Crusaders to show up too. Not too many though, like one or two extra.

Now what might be interesting is having more Scarlet Crusaders amongst Garithos's armies, if you want to follow the theory that the Scarlet Crusade was formed from those survivors who fled to Hearthglen and the Monastery.

Status
Not open for further replies.