• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Of Blood and Honor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
As a big fan of the book "Of Blood and Honor" by Chris Metzen, I decided to make a campaign portraying the events that happened in it. Basically the story of Tirion and Eitrigg. As I am very new to the world editor and I've been reading tutorials left and right, I decided to upload the first map and maybe some helpful feedback will come.
Of Blood and Honor
343knwz.jpg

Story : The noble Paladin, Tirion Fordring, had always believed the savage Orcs to be vile and corrupt. He had spent his life fighting ceaselessly to protect humanity from their foul treachery. But an unexpected act of honor and compassion sets in motion a chain of events that will challenge Tirion's most fundamental beliefs, and force him to decide once and for all who are the men -- and who are the monsters.

Characters : Tirion Fordring - A paladin and the governor of the prosperous Alliance principality of Hearthglen.

Eitrigg - A veteran orc warrior who abandoned his people for his own beliefs and wanting to live a life of isolation.

Barthilas - A paladin whose parents were murdered by the hands of the orcs during the war against the humans.

Captain Arden - A captain of Hearthglen and a loyal friend to Tirion.

Lord Dathrohan - The governor of Stratholme, and an old friend of Tirion.

Change log :
Of Blood and Honor[0.6] : Huge progress on the first chapter shown in the screen shots of entire map. (no beta yet but soon)
rpEPOW0.jpg

Yqouj2Z.jpg

Fw3NSUZ.jpg

Progress :
Chapter 1 - 90% Finished
Chapter 2 - 70% Finished
Chapter 3 - 50% Finished
Chapter 4 - 40% Finished

Screenshots :
fvbnuw.jpg

2nulxte.jpg

219pbib.jpg

2mra350.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Looks interesting. Is this an RPG ?
Good luck with your map.

If u ever need any help with triggers or terraining sfeel free to contact me through VMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Your screenshots look like blob shadows are disabled. Is this deliberate or did you forget to set WC3 to maximum settings?

If it is single player only then you can use practically as many assets as you want from the model and skin section. It is recommended you do so in order to compete with many of the high quality single player experiences already available.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I do not really like the terrain though it's okay since campaigns do not need good terrain according to the community.
Still, yous is above average.

Also is this supposed to be based on official lore? In that case I find the entire story invalid, paladins do not judge other races. Note that Tirion allowed the horde to compete in the Argent Tournament in WoW. He was the one that united the alliance and the horde against the Lich King.
His own faction even consists of Horde members..

Awesome that you got this campaign rolling! Initial thoughts from the screenies: it would be cool to see some separate models for Tirion/Eitrigg.

I'm gonna give it a test in a bit--I'll post feedback later. Good luck on the campaign!

Also is this supposed to be based on official lore? In that case I find the entire story invalid, paladins do not judge other races. Note that Tirion allowed the horde to compete in the Argent Tournament in WoW. He was the one that united the alliance and the horde against the Lich King.

This was before the Argent Dawn was created. ;) And yeah, it is official lore.

Level 6
Your screenshots look like blob shadows are disabled. Is this deliberate or did you forget to set WC3 to maximum settings?

Your second guess is correct. I'll make sure to remake those screenshots later. :)

If it is single player only then you can use practically as many assets as you want from the model and skin section. It is recommended you do so in order to compete with many of the high quality single player experiences already available.

I actually used a couple of skins on the orc and the footmen, i'll credit them once the map is complete.

But I don't want to give it a foreign feeling as I want it to be warcraft 3 style, since the story takes place literally in warcraft universe.

I do not really like the terrain though it's okay since campaigns do not need good terrain according to the community.
Still, yous is above average.

My terrain making skills are not best, I know. :/ Though could u point out some faults or give suggestion ?

Also, this story happens after the 2nd invasion of orcs. Undead aren't there yet.

Good luck with your campaign. It can become very good. :wink:

Thanks man !

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I had no clue that was official lore, good thing I learned something.

I am not really a terrainer, I can only create average terrain myself. But one thing you should remove is the Blizzard cliffs, use the raise tool instead it looks better. Your terrain is very flat overall btw.

I might even call in the one and only Raise Tool Master Race cultist Heinvers so he can write a bible and a half about why it's better.

Last edited:
Level 6
Wish you luck with your campaign! Don't give up !

Thanks!

use the raise tool instead it looks better. Your terrain is very flat overall btw.

That tool is a pain. I can't use it really well, but I'll look into it tho. :)

I might even call in the one and only Raise Tool Master Race cultist Heinvers so he can write a bible and a half about why it's better.

LOL I could def use that bible.

I had no clue that was official lore, good thing I learned something.

I am not really a terrainer, I can only create average terrain myself. But one thing you should remove is the Blizzard cliffs, use the raise tool instead it looks better. Your terrain is very flat overall btw.

Have you summoned me?

New user:
bigstock-Green-check-box-with-check-mar-16863614-e1403996361522.jpg

Terraining subject:

Blizzard Cliff usage:

Nice ambient:
x.png

Tutorials checked by user:
x.png

But it still depends in how you work around with blizzard cliffs.

No, this is totally the wrong approach. Only map categories where cliffs could be allowed to be used are the melee and spell template/spells. Is this a melee or a spell? No.
This is a campaign category therefore at least a minimal effort for a minimally decent terrain is required.
At the moment OP's terrain looks like poo.
So it requires him to check up on some tutorials(take your time and read those, especially the ones regarding playable terrains) in order to fix it up so that he could improve at this field of modding. Any questions?

Many will disagree with me because reasons and not having enough knowledge and/or being nostalgic about the map having 'Blizzard Feeling'.
I say fuck that since it just brings down the point of improving at modding and not only that but it's also degenerative and bad to your general map-making health.
It just brings up limitation that proves to be really pointless these days.

Just take a look at Veritas's campaign thread(for examples on how one can terrain) and notice how easily he manipulates the terrain using nothing but raise/lower tool, alpha tile, good tinting with appropriate models and terrain fog.

I don't have the time to write a bible for terraining but I can say that a bad terrain(at least for me and some others like APproject) really sets one off from that particular campaign/map/idea/story and whatnot even if it has an excellent story for it.

Just don't rush your idea, things might turn really fucked up/ugly if you go for that(as in terrain among other things).
Just check up Shar Dundred's thread for that(SD don't read this!).

What I basically mean is that we have to improve since this isn't the 15th century where everything(or most of it) looked like half arsed stuff and story.
Make the terrain live up to that story you chose to portray.

Good luck and happy map making~

Last edited:
Level 6
New user:

Terraining subject:

Blizzard Cliff usage:

Nice ambient:
x.png

Tutorials checked by user:
x.png

At the moment OP's terrain looks like poo.

Make the terrain live up to that story you chose to portray.

I'll check the tuts. Thanks..! but putting the rise tool aside. You've said nothing about doodads or the map as a whole. "Poo" won't help me improve y'know. :goblin_jawdrop:

Many will disagree with me because reasons and not having enough knowledge and/or being nostalgic about the map having 'Blizzard Feeling'.
I say fuck that since it just brings down the point of improving at modding and not only that but it's also degenerative and bad to your general map-making health.
It just brings up limitation that proves to be really pointless these days.

I get it, but, for example, a campaign like this one, I can't change the terrain look completely, it'll only give a feeling that doesn't relate to the story.

True, but checking that tutorials page I linked and checking some threads from those that are more knowledgeable in the fields will.

I could describe your terrain as barren/empty, lacking doodad diversity/tile diversity, variety of appropriate terrain fog.
No use of environmental models whatsoever among other things.
Edit: Never again use the Noise tool, that spells chaos for any terrain.

You don't have to change the look completely, you just have to work more on your weak point(that being terraining) and make it a bit decent.
You know what feeling I get from the current terrain? Certainly not one that the story depicts, certainly not Lordaeron related.
Seems like another random terrain that got placed for an unknown reason.

It gives out a mixed feeling that doesn't relate to the story you want to portray in your campaign.

Level 6
True, but checking that tutorials page I linked and checking some threads from those that are more knowledgeable in the fields will.

I could describe your terrain as barren/empty, lacking doodad diversity/tile diversity, variety of appropriate terrain fog.
No use of environmental models whatsoever among other things.
Edit: Never again use the Noise tool, that spells chaos for any terrain.

I'll hit you up if I make changes and see what you think. First, I have those tuts to look at. :vw_sleep:

Level 8
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Looks good ;). :thumbs_up:
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
~Better change tirion model to paladin with white hairs.. idk his name :p. And.. yea the terrain looks empty.. :/..

Level 21
I could def use this but it needs some modification.

In the story he mounts his horse Mirador a lot of times, so it can be useful for some situations, but I need him without his horse for the clash vs Eitrigg.
Edit:nvm,didn't notice the rest

Level 6
I can't wait to see the next part :p also for the model, why don't you use the white haired paladin ?

Call me a nerd, but in the book timeline his hair wasn't all white, he wasn't an old geezer yet.

"Though he was slightly over fifty years of age, he still
looked as fit and dynamic as he had when a younger man. His signature bushy mustache and his neatly
trimmed brown hair were streaked with gray, but his piercing green eyes still shone with an energy that
belied his years."

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

hows the progress on this cheesy campaign ?

Level 21
Slow. I'm trying to learn more about World Editor before I finish.
I know the feeling.I returned to the WE with a serious reason for the first time in months:to start my new project.And I've literally,yes literally,been bashing my head trying to remember and figure out stuff

Level 6
I know the feeling.I returned to the WE with a serious reason for the first time in months:to start my new project.And I've literally,yes literally,been bashing my head trying to remember and figure out stuff

Same here. Which project is that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.