• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #11 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture65011.png

Pick a hero from an older Hero Contest and create their ability icons (sub-abilities not included)

160036-albums4747-picture59709.png

160036-albums4747-picture59712.png

Marcos DAB:

Creativity: 14\20
The Conceptual approach is not new, though there are some elements that have gained attention to me: beast representation, in the first and third icon, is kinda unique. Couldn't tell what it is, although his physiognomy looks a bit like a reptile and the body is closer to a kind of gorilla. From the aesthetic point of view, I can say that it caught my attention from the first sight. I like your style, the execution, how you combined the colors and their choice, attention to detail, clear and clean appearance. However, movement and tension are not well represented in your icons, they seem static. For example, in the second icon, the claws are captured in slow motion. In the first and third icon, anger must be more exacerbated, more pronounced. You could add some effects to emphasize the beast intention.
Theme: 16\20
It seems like you imagined the hero in his beast form, to represent his skills, and after that he returns to his humanoid form. I think the theme is partially followed, though the skills are fairly represented. I've expected that your hero would appear in his humanoid form, using his weapons, not only in animalistic form making use of his instinctive power.
Blizzard Feeling: 17\20
I think the Blizzard feeling is enough present here. Although, slightly increased contrast and effects and a better definition between foreground and background would have led to a result closer to the Blizzard style.
Technique: 30\40
You performed well. The color scheme is present everywhere - enough detailed and neat shading. Though, in some icons the background is a bit confusing and you could have used some more definition. In the second icon, the claws could be better defined (seems to blend in the background) and the background should be darker. In the fourth icon, the glow could be a bit stronger. Also, I can see some proportional errors. In the third icon, the arms are too big, too long, in relation to the body.

Final Note: Overall a nice and a well-blended icon set, enough balanced and clear.
Final Score: 77\100

kola:

Creativity: 16\20
Regarding the conceptual approach, I liked your combination -swirl\lightning, resulting in a lightning vortex, a nice idea, which is distinguished from other three approaches that are more common. Aesthetically, good performance. Interesting combination of colors (a bit too much black, maybe). Nice use of vibrant colors, good clarity and definition. Nice style!
Motion and dynamics are sufficiently present, a presence of plenty effects contributing to this.
Theme: 14\20
Quite generic representation of the abilities. The icons are representing the potential skills of the hero, but the hero himself is not present in any of them and nothing is left to understand that he is endowed with these skills and/or that he is the source of these powers.
Blizzard Feeling: 14\20
The Blizzard feeling is unfortunately not much present here. Your icons don't quite fit with other Blizzard icons. They are too saturated to match the Blizzard style. Also, the range of colors that you have chosen (purple, dark red, electric blue) differ distinctively from the range of colors used by Blizzard for representing icons of similar theme (lightning, for example).
Technique: 30\40
You did a pretty good job here. Interesting colors and nice execution, clean and sharp. The shadows are in the right place, nice shapes and effects. Great use of color schemes in all four icons, making them part of a harmonious set. Still a bit oversaturated and too much black here and there, giving them a feeling of simplicity. You should have used some others colors variation and less black.

Final Note: Overall an interesting and vibrant icon set, the effects are pretty much everywhere.
Final Score: 74\100

PeeKay:

Creativity: 13\20
Seems that you've focused more on usefulness than originality this time.
The color scheme doesn't really exist, but isn't that bad. A less abrupt transition from one icon to another (in term of colors) would have been a lot nicer.
Execution is good as always, regarding the detail, your own unique style, which is very artistic and accurate.
However, the second icon should be less empty and more dynamic, you could use some effects.
Theme: 18\20
Looking to your icons, there is no doubt about the hero. He is present in most of them, expressing his terrifying wrath. The theme is properly followed.
Blizzard Feeling: 15\20
I never thought I could say this, but Blizzard's style is a bit cartoonish and yours, too artistic and realistic. Although these are some qualities in other cases, but in this case I have to downgrade you (ironically, for excessive quality). Add some outlines for more cartoonish looking (even if I prefer them to be the way they currently are).
Technique: 34\40
It's very artistic and I won't complain for anything else except that they seem pixelated\grainy. Proper shading, nice details and enough clear. Your technique is great.

Final Note: Very artistic and cool style, but I know you can do much better.
Final Score: 80\100

160036-albums4747-picture70728.png
160036-albums4747-picture70729.png
160036-albums4747-picture70730.png

Poll | Contest

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised at these results. I love your past icons, PeeKay, but with the issue you had that made them grainy, they really didn't look good this time as you tried a different technique that didn't work out.

I'm amazed that you got so much higher of a "technique" rating than the others.

To be honest, I think many of the ratings were a bit off. kola's icons looked great, but were definitely the least creative; there are already tons of icons that look very similar to all of his entries, and yet he received the highest creativity rating while DAB's icons which in my opinion were more creative (although perhaps not executed as well) got a low creativity rating. And it's weird that even though PeeKay was trying a new technique which failed and, sadly, made his icons incredibly grainy, he still received the highest "technique" rating. I'm not saying I don't like his icons, just saying in this case that definitely wasn't his strong suit. I also noticed that kola received a very low "Blizzard Feeling" rating, when I really must say his icons were the most similar to blizzard style. Certainly at least closer than PeeKay's grainy ones which received a higher rating for "Blizzard Feeling". (I'm not hating on you, PeeKay, I love what you've made in the past but the new stuff you were trying out this time just didn't work).

Honestly, seems like you gave them low ratings in the categories they did good at and high ratings in the categories they did poor at.

I'm just a nobody so it doesn't really matter what I think on this subject, I'm not one to dispute a Judge's final decision, just throwing what I think out there.

I love all three of the contestants' past work, there is no favoritism on my end, I just feel like there was some bias going on here; seemed like they were being judged based on their past work rather than their contest submissions, in which case yes PeeKay has displayed the best artistic ability in the past.

Last edited:
Why do you think you have to "be someone" in order to criticise judgings?
You raise valid points, but have to notice how subjective several aspects are.
Example: Blizzard Feeling. Now, what is this exactly? Even with the given description, it's a "feeling", so naturally, people will perceive it differently.
There's no standard for this category per se, as even Blizzard Entertainment fucks up plenty of their own icons (just look through collections of WoW icons - they usually feature a certain quality, but several of them don't match their apparent "style").

Sin' did a good job on this one, especially since this is his first judging.

Personally, I thought this was all about personal preferences.
Pros and cons in various categories and aspects pretty much result in a very similar level of quality.
Judges include their personal experience in judgings, while focusing on objective matters.
Everybody's different, so naturally (and especially in this case), there would be n*different results if there were n*judges.

Each contestant was deserving of winning this.

Peekay clearly has more artistic talent than the other participants, I think.

But these icons are pixelated/grainy, I don't know how you might have received higher score in technique.
I think that notes were not given exclusively to this work, but thinking in the previous works.

Also a contest with only one judge seems a bit unfair. At least two would be the most democratic.

I think that notes were not given exclusively to this work, but thinking in the previous works.
That's a valid point aswell, and yes, it seems that way.
Technique said:
Did the technique offer a unique appearance and what quality did it result in?
Now, PeeKay's way of creating and rendering his work is pretty unique, in my opinion.
Not the techniques themselves, but how he uses them.
He's sure to get (almost) all points for that half.

The icons are grainy and thus their quality is diminished, but these icons are still of acceptable quality, are they not?

Now, if you put both of those aspects together, to forge the category "Technique", Sin's rating of 34/40 seems justified. Looks to me as if he gave full points for the raw techniques, and deduced points for diminished quality. It's just what he stated in his judging.

Also a contest with only one judge seems a bit unfair. At least two would be the most democratic.
As for this one:
Whatcha gonna do when you don't have that many judges who have the necessary expertise? CR was supposed to be in this boat, too, but he rarely comes up with enough time to actually pull through.
The more judges you have, the fairer the results will be.
However, you gotta work with what you have.

There will probably be other Icon Contests to participate in (hopefully with themes that allow a greater amount of artistic freedom).

Srry guys, but i think Pharaoh_ made a mistake with the calculation.

I think these are the correct results:

Marcos DAB - [(77/100)*75]+[(21/53)*25] = 67,65

kola - [(74/100)*75]+[(22/53)*25] = 65,87

PeeKay - [(80/100)*75]+[(10/53)*25] = 64,72

Hmmmm, wait a moment. You divide the judge ratings by 100, because 100 is the max. amount of points there and there's only one judge, right?
Since it's the same for the poll, where you divide n(votes) by n(total votes)....
Let's check that out.

Alright, checked.

--> Marcos DAB:
(77*0.75) + ((21/53)*25) = 67.66
--> kola:
(74*0.75) + ((22/53)*25) = 65.88
--> PeeKay:
(80*0.75) + ((10/53)*25) = 64.72

Yup, true. Let's scratch the calculations in my previous post then. \o\

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wow, huh. Interesting upset. I must admit, (no personal offense intended), I'm surprised to see kola above PeeKay, but I guess that's how the numbers work out...

It's strange & unfortunate that there really doesn't seem to be any objective grading criteria in a contest such as this, because you're right, BlackDeath; it's almost entirely subjective. Especially Blizzard Feel (even though I think that's of paramount importance, next to "overall quality"). Which, if you ask me, none of them fully succeeded at, but Marcos came the closest.

It's kinda hard, though; anyone who has spent any time with Wc3 or the WE can pretty much tell "in-game" icons from not simply because they are familiar with them (thus negating the use of the obvious test; lining them up randomly with other in-game icons & seeing if they can be distinguished). I don't count WoW icons for exactly the reasons you stated, though; inconsistency. :p Almost across the board, Wc3 maintains a distinctive style, and I long to see artists achieve it.

(@TLI, I'm interested to know what you see in kola's icon that reminds you of in-game icons :< ... I dunno, just not seeing it.)

PeeKay almost certainly had more interesting art & great colors/technique, but it was really put off by all the graininess (which I'm told was a function of a new technique he used). Marcos, on the other hand, really nailed much of the Blizzard feel (though, like he said, could've used some more black background & some other tweaks), but was really crowded and homogenous.

Blah blah blah artsy-tirade. No matter what, all commendable work that I couldn't get close to. :p

The criterion of "Blizzard Feeling" has always eluded me, because of the reasons I previously stated. Personally, I'd prefer giving it a position of less importance, ergo lower the maximum amount of points in this category.
It is a valid category, because icons of Icon Contests should fit in Warcraft III's original style, but it shouldn't limit an artist's expertise, which is the case, in my opinion.
Blizzard Entertainment creates rather cartoonish icons, which is a pretty limited style, and people constantly nag about icons of artists when they seem to be too cartoony.
Those submissions also usually earn a lower moderator rating.

Looking at the contestants' skills of this contest, forcing the creation of a cartoonish look seems like taking two steps backwards on the skill ladder.
Summa summarum: a valid category, but not as important as being creative or nailing the theme.

On a sidenote:
The best explanation of "Blizzard Feeling" so far has been written by Pyramidhe@d.
well lets say you just grab one of your icon and compare it to a bunch of other warcraft icon.then you compare if they look similar

this includes proportioning or placement/layout conventions. i believe, for example, warcraft icon always show the one end of an weapon related item, not crop off both sides. an ok example would your locust swarm equivalent. it follows the placements but the foreshortening is rather weak in comparison. it also includes rendering style, such as the contrast in the colours, the shading method and general surface textural quality, whther the pic is too grainy or not, got too much details and what not.

Last edited:
I have updated the results and I want to apologize for rushing them, for my incompetence and irresponsibility. Thank you, Sin'dorei300 for notifying, you will receive a bonus for both judging and giving me a heads-up :)

What are you talkin' about?
You're the most competent and responsabile person here on Hive, but being human it's normal to mistake sometimes, else you would be perfect, and perfection doesn't exist! ;)

What are you talkin' about?
You're the most competent and responsabile person here on Hive, but being human it's normal to mistake sometimes, else you would be perfect, and perfection doesn't exist! ;)

Correct about perfection, yet I should be more careful, especially after all these years :)

Oh and congratulations people!

Level 25
Hemske has not uploaded the required *.blp files. However, his original entry can be found here. This is indeed unfortunate, but he has marked a 10-day inactivity, which disallows me to prolong the poll's creation.

Oh, that was clumpsy. Anyway, congratulations to you other guys, really nice to see Marcos take it home, his icons looks marvelous.

Status
Not open for further replies.