• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] I tried everything, editor saving corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I've used the default World Editor & tried several other editors including newgen & the latest edition with sharpcraft, I've done a full re-installation of Warcraft 3 + Registry clean-out. I did a virus scan & even disabled network + disabled firewalls + disabled anti-viruses & the result is still the same.

PROBLEM: If I add, change, remove any triggers I have to save the map close it & re-open it & hope it saved. It's as if the save is completely corrupting or corrupted entirely & only saves when it wants & what it wants to save, as if their is a %percent% chance to save.

I've saved the map & moved it without using test map in editor & still not resolved.

I've tried creating & modifying several of my own maps & all with the same reaction.

I've tried older patches & new patches & all with the same reactions.

I'm out of solutions I have no idea what to do & may have to reconsider on map making.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is it a specific map or general maps (eg a blank map)? If it is a general problem try running the editor as an administrator to see if it fixes. If so then you need to give your user account full control permission over the Warcraft III folder and all sub folders.

When you save a map the editor writes out all map files to temporary files before it puts them in the map MPQ archive. This is to reduce the memory footprint of the editor while saving as it does not need to hold the data of all files in memory. If the editor is run in user account space and that account lacks permission ver the Warcraft III folder it cannot create the temporary files, a permission exception is thrown instead, so it cannot write the temporary files properly so when it packs them into the map MPQ archive they are corrupt.

Level 12
Is it a specific map or general maps (eg a blank map)? If it is a general problem try running the editor as an administrator to see if it fixes. If so then you need to give your user account full control permission over the Warcraft III folder and all sub folders.

When you save a map the editor writes out all map files to temporary files before it puts them in the map MPQ archive. This is to reduce the memory footprint of the editor while saving as it does not need to hold the data of all files in memory. If the editor is run in user account space and that account lacks permission ver the Warcraft III folder it cannot create the temporary files, a permission exception is thrown instead, so it cannot write the temporary files properly so when it packs them into the map MPQ archive they are corrupt.

Any map it doesn't matter what it is.

I'd tried running as administrator & even as always check.

Full control is opted on (full access)

Still haven't resolved this yet.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Only other possible cause is your anti-virus software locking the map during save so it fails to save correctly. Even when turned off some anti-virus software can still operate in the background.

Malware could also do it, but it seems unlikely as there is no reason for one to be created which manipulates WC3 maps.

If it throws some kind of syntax error then the trigger JASS script will not save. This can happen when computers are set to non English localization because various auto-generated trigger elements will use system localization resulting in invalid JASS being produced. Most common example of this is if you life in France or Germany then your fractional delimiter is ',' instead of the UK/US '.'. This means when a real field is generated it places a ',' causing the fractional part to become a separate argument resulting in a call statement no longer matching up with the function parameters and hence generating a syntax error.

Level 12
Upload any map which causes the issue and explain the steps needed to recreate it. If we do not suffer the same issue after doing the same steps then it is something wrong with your WC3/JNGP installation.

It doesn't matter what map it is.

Creating a new one is the same result.

Anything I save in the editor does not save immediately after I test it, after about 5-20 saves sometimes I can get it work but if a new trigger is added it can corrupt it, it was finally revealed to me that that something related to saving was causing some sort of corruption issue, if the map has more than 1 trigger another one breaks almost like a virus that leaks inside another trigger then acts as if it doesn't exist even if you created a debug trigger to set it on.

Step by step ok, make a new map - create a periodic timer of 5.00 seconds then action display (text test). Now let's save & test - nothing happens - let's save & test it again - nothing happens - one more time let's save & test again - nothing happens - ok so what's going on you wonder? You want other triggers but I'm telling you that there are no other triggers that's how frustrating it is & even if I give you triggers of other maps it's not necessary as what I've shown you above with 1 trigger alone will not save until after 5-15 times or chooses at random. If I do get to work & finally get it to save I move on to the next trigger the problem repeats itself until the editor finally decides to allow me to save it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Something must be wrong with your setup of WC3 and/or JNGP.

Try reinstalling Warcraft III, remember to patch to the latest version after reinstall. If you are using Windows Vista or newer then make sure your user account has "Full Control" permission over the Warcraft III installation folder. Make sure compatibility mode and run as administrator are off. If using JNGP make sure anti virus software does not corrupt it due to a false positive detection (it has no viruses, just looks like one due to how it enhances the editor). If the problem still persists try disabling anti-virus software, possibly even uninstalling it because some times they still operate even when "disabled".

Level 20
If the problem still persists try disabling anti-virus software, possibly even uninstalling it because some times they still operate even when "disabled".
From what he said, I think he tried everything else. But still, as Dr said - OP, try uninstalling your anti-virus software + restarting the computer afterwards.

Level 12
What anti-virus software are you using?

Before mentioning it I would like to say that I added both editors & wc3 to the excluded list & or safe listed using the anti-virus & later disabled it to test. I use AVAST - which use to detect it as false positive always has but I never had this problem in a long while & avast should no longer detect this because it has been long updated since then.

I uninstalled all firewalls & anti-virus & even did a full clean out of the registrys. I started by installing Warcraft 3 with the (updated to latest patch) as well as installing JNGP & using the default editor first with same results. Already did full control & admin settings both ways.

It is to my knowledge that something with the pathing & saving isn't being relocated properly, while saving a map it appears on the desktop for the temp folder being stored then after the saving is complete it vanishes, supposedly this is normal & DrSG has said this is intended to happen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is to my knowledge that something with the pathing & saving isn't being relocated properly, while saving a map it appears on the desktop for the temp folder being stored then after the saving is complete it vanishes, supposedly this is normal & DrSG has said this is intended to happen.
It is intended to make those files in your Warcraft III installation folder, and not the desktop. If WC3 was well written they would be made in the system/user temp folder which sole purpose is to house such files.

Is the Warcraft III install path long? Warcraft III is known to have problems with maps which have long file names so maybe it has problems with other features if the file path is too long. For example if the temporary file path used to write maps is too long it may suffer from buffer over run or other errors.

Level 12
It is intended to make those files in your Warcraft III installation folder, and not the desktop. If WC3 was well written they would be made in the system/user temp folder which sole purpose is to house such files.

Is the Warcraft III install path long? Warcraft III is known to have problems with maps which have long file names so maybe it has problems with other features if the file path is too long. For example if the temporary file path used to write maps is too long it may suffer from buffer over run or other errors.

For now I'm able to save maps again but now I cannot use multiple events, for anything.

For example I'll use these 2 triggers, the first one executes & the second one does not, I had no problem with this months ago as it worked just fine.

This one executes just fine
  • Unit cast says 1
    • Events
    • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
    • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Casting 1...
This one does not execute at all
  • Unit cast says 2
    • Events
    • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
    • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Casting 2...
Anything after with these same events is completely stopped & wont go any further & will only execute the first one.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Anything after with these same events is completely stopped & wont go any further & will only execute the first one.
Sounds like your map is hitting the initialization thread op limit. This is usually the result of declaring too many global variables or setting global arrays to large sizes. It can also be the result of too many triggers or too many events on each trigger. Lastly it can be caused by thread crashing your initialization thread such as by performing division by 0 as an event argument.

Level 12
Sounds like your map is hitting the initialization thread op limit. This is usually the result of declaring too many global variables or setting global arrays to large sizes. It can also be the result of too many triggers or too many events on each trigger. Lastly it can be caused by thread crashing your initialization thread such as by performing division by 0 as an event argument.

Edit: I tried relocating the paths & recheck names to make sure they were small enough so that it wouldn't cause a buffer issue. Eventually after trying several different attempts I got the saving to work as to what the main cause was I have no idea I tried alot of different things.

The saving now works without corrupting any maps as I got passed that part & most maps seem to be working properly.

Then I had a doodad problem with in the current map I was working on, apparently it had way too many trees which doesn't make sense to me as the JNGP editor can do a no doodad limit with grimoire (unless there is a limit never had this problem) it caused several events not to execute. I re-checked all the options in grimoire & had no effect (unless grimoire is broken). After removing all the pre-placed trees & doing 1 more final test all triggers executed without a problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.