• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Hyperion's Warp-jump (blink) ability can't get animation to work right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So... i am trying to recreate the warpjump blink-like ability that you can use in the Heart of the Swarm campaign, in the mission With "Friends Like These...", and to do that i needed to use triggers. i copied them exactly from the campaign mission, and the ability from the Hyperion unit.
before i figured out that i needed to use triggers, the hyperion would just pop out of existience without playing the entering warpspace animation, and then play the exiting warpspace animation at a point somewhere near where i targetted.
when i put in the triggers, it entered warpspace, then popped into existience at the targetted point without playing the warpspace exit animation. I put a "attach model to unit" action in and it worked, except that the battlecruiser popped into existience and then the animation played ontop of it. since i cannot leave a non-perfect thing be, i banged my head against the wall for a little bit and then put a Hide Unit action in at the Prep stage and a Show Unit action after the Attach Model.
it made the battlecruiser warp pretty much randomly/inaccurately. i tinkered with it for a bit and when i put the Hide Unit in the Cast stage of the ability, it jumped to the location i wanted it to.
however the Show Unit action didnt wait for the model to finish playing, so i was right back where i started. i thought "simple!" and i put a Wait for 0.9 Game Time Seconds (because thats how long the animation was) action. then the cattle bruiser was warping randomly again :goblin_cry:

any ideas? pictures of my triggers and the ability (and its fields) are in the attachments

Attachments

• Warpjump Ability.jpg
    Warpjump Ability.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Hyperion's Warp ability.jpg
    Hyperion's Warp ability.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Warpjump Trigger #1.jpg
    Warpjump Trigger #1.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Warpjump Trigger #2.jpg
    Warpjump Trigger #2.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Warpjump Trigger #3.jpg
    Warpjump Trigger #3.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Warpjump Actor #1.jpg
    Warpjump Actor #1.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 182
  • Warpjump Actor #2.jpg
    Warpjump Actor #2.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Warpjump Actor #3.jpg
    Warpjump Actor #3.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Warpjump Behavior.jpg
    Warpjump Behavior.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Warpjump Button.jpg
    Warpjump Button.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 142
  • Warpjump Effect #1.jpg
    Warpjump Effect #1.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Warpjump Effect #2.jpg
    Warpjump Effect #2.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Warpjump Effect #3.jpg
    Warpjump Effect #3.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Warpjump Model (going into warpspace).jpg
    Warpjump Model (going into warpspace).jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 168
Level 2
I tried to duplicate the Warp Out actor, named it Warp In (just for reference Warp In means warping into realspace from warpspace, not the other way around) and assigned it the correct model, but it didnt rotate the animation to line up with the target, and it didnt fix the fact that it was warping into itself. basically i got a better result using the trigger to activate the model at this point, even if it either warps into itself or warps randomly. I just deleted the Wait 0.9 Seconds action so it would at least work as intended, albeit with crappy animations.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You need to modify the actor events. Actor events control when they are created and what they do in response to certain deterministic stimuli or even non deterministic stimuli. If you blindly copy stuff the data references will be wrong.

For example copying some actors will result in two actors being created when the original unit does something yet none for the copy because the copied actors still reference the original unit. You need to make sure all your actors link appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.