• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hydralisks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
What mech?

Tanks deal less to unarmored, and thors don't do extra damage to them.

Hellions are the only mech that deal extra, but using them in that situation feels strange.
If you think that hard counters are decided by damage bonuses then I have some news for you.

Go put 3 hydralisks vs a thor in a unit tester map if you don't believe me. Hell, even put 4 (which costs more).

Level 10
If you think that hard counters are decided by damage bonuses then I have some news for you.

Go put 3 hydralisks vs a thor in a unit tester map if you don't believe me. Hell, even put 4 (which costs more).

If you ball your units, then yes, but with proper micro, it really isn't that hard of a counter...

That is like saying that any MM is countered by collosi, which is not 100% true as positioning and micro can let the MM win handily.

Edit:

4 hydras, without moving any unit and letting them all do their thing, bring the thor down to 50 health.

Considering the amount of thors compared to the amount of hydras that are normally in a game, I would not call that a hard counter.

And 3 balled hydras can kill a sieged tank...

They really are not that bad guys, I just think you don't like them, =)

They are very SLOW, but other than that, they deal TONS of damage.

Level 40
Thors don't do splash. Also, killing 4 with 50 health left is a fairly hard counter when you consider that 4 Hydralisks cost significantly more minerals and supply than 1 Thor.

Also, if you get, say, 4 Marines with stim/concussive they can kill a tank in siege mode (test this if you don't believe me). Now go try that with 20 marines vs 5 tanks. Now go try 60 marines vs 15 tanks. Area of effect attacks are nonlinear, and Hydralisks do not perform against any realistic number of tanks.

Level 10
Thors don't do splash. Also, killing 4 with 50 health left is a fairly hard counter when you consider that 4 Hydralisks cost significantly more minerals and supply than 1 Thor.

Also, if you get, say, 4 Marines with stim/concussive they can kill a tank in siege mode (test this if you don't believe me). Now go try that with 20 marines vs 5 tanks. Now go try 60 marines vs 15 tanks. Area of effect attacks are nonlinear, and Hydralisks do not perform against any realistic number of tanks.

and zerglings suck against tanks too cuz they die so fast :thumbs_up:

If you ball your units, then yes, but with proper micro, it really isn't that hard of a counter...

That is like saying that any MM is countered by collosi, which is not 100% true as positioning and micro can let the MM win handily.

I'd like to see you micro those marines around to stay spread while still playing effectively. It's just not realistic.

Level 8
hydras are more unusable due: it higer cost (in sc1 costed 75/25), not they cant mutate into lurkers, and roached are more effective due they faster regeneration/underground movements, it seems that adding anti-air to a roaches doesnt pay for all the drawbacks nad higger cost

Why do they suck against terran?

They do quite well against MM, and they are pretty solid against any air, so why is that so bad?

Funny you would say that.
I did an FFA today.. two people left within 5 minutes.
So me and the other guy teched.. and he went 200/200 hydras while I went 200/200 carriers. Note that I had 2-3x more expansions than him, which allowed me to build 200/200 carriers just as fast as he was able to build his 200/200 hydras, but also keep in mind having 2-3x more expos increases the amount of supply used by workers by 2-3x. This eats up needed army supply.

In short.. no. In masses.. Hydras do not compare to air.
I can guarantee you if someone had gone 200/200 banshee it still would have been close resembling results.
They are good for backup and additional firepower.. almost like an overpowered marine. They can't take a hit.. and they are too squishy to be effective alone.

Level 11
Funny you would say that.
I did an FFA today.. two people left within 5 minutes.
So me and the other guy teched.. and he went 200/200 hydras while I went 200/200 carriers. Note that I had 2-3x more expansions than him, which allowed me to build 200/200 carriers just as fast as he was able to build his 200/200 hydras, but also keep in mind having 2-3x more expos increases the amount of supply used by workers by 2-3x. This eats up needed army supply.

In short.. no. In masses.. Hydras do not compare to air.
I can guarantee you if someone had gone 200/200 banshee it still would have been close resembling results.
They are good for backup and additional firepower.. almost like an overpowered marine. They can't take a hit.. and they are too squishy to be effective alone.
Carriers: 350/250/6
Hydras: 100/50/2

However, I'm willing to bet that you had your carriers fully stocked with interceptors, making each one 450/250. Even more if you count rebuilding destroyed interceptors (essentially, 1 carrier = 3 hydras in supply, but costs 1.5 times as much minerals and 1.67 times as much gas).

Finally, chances are the zerg didn't have hydra +range nor did he actually focus fire the carriers, likely just attacking interceptors. Because seriously, Hydras decimate air if properly used.

Oh, I won unconditionally. I lost like.. 3 carriers.. some more were damaged.
And no, he didn't attack interceptors. He even moved closer to the carriers (seeing as how they have longer range) and s-targeted.
And again I could afford the extra cost because I had more expansions. You may think this unbalanced it in my favor, but again, I had a lot more workers than him, and lost about 3-4 carriers in supply shortage alone.
Edit: I'll find the replay if you like. I won't go looking for it, though, unless someone asks.

Level 9
I find the SC2 ghost a ton more useful than the SC1 ghost, as in SC1 the ghosts main purpose was either launch nukes or Lockdown mechs, in both cases cloak seemed mandatory, and because of that it was rarely used. In SC2 ghosts are a lot more durable and don't require cloak just to survive, the addition of EMP into their arsenal makes them much more worth getting, the only drawback to the SC2 ghost is their high costs in gas and minerals.

Level 8
i allways would rathar have and pay for a sc1 ghost and vessel rathar than a sc2 ghost due emp shock is mostly only useful against protoss and lockdown is useful against protos and terran, and emp just take away the shield, lockdown prevent the unit from attacking moving and casting

Level 9
Lockdown isn't AoE and required selecting individual ghosts to use, if you had them all selected and used lockdown, they all fired at same time onto one unit. Considering what it takes to get a Ghost in SC2 compared to SC1, I'd hands down, go for the SC2 Ghost than an SC1 Ghost and Sci Vessel. That and Ghost EMP is still usable against zerg units like the Infestor, whereas lockdown had no uses in TvZ.

Level 9
... OK thats enough then, Aslit you lost what little credibility you had left with that statement, it's quite clear now your just talking out of an orifice of your body which shall not be named, and really, its apparent you've never/rarely played Zerg or likely any race in SC2, league, custom or AI. Zerg are so weak they almost die on their own? OK sure, if you're just going to phase the Roach, Ultralisk, Corruptors, Infestors and Brood Lords out of existence, and even then I'd be more than confident that Zerg would slaughter enemies with Zergling/Baneling/Hydra.

Level 8
... OK thats enough then, Aslit you lost what little credibility you had left with that statement, it's quite clear now your just talking out of an orifice of your body which shall not be named, and really, its apparent you've never/rarely played Zerg or likely any race in SC2, league, custom or AI. Zerg are so weak they almost die on their own? OK sure, if you're just going to phase the Roach, Ultralisk, Corruptors, Infestors and Brood Lords out of existence, and even then I'd be more than confident that Zerg would slaughter enemies with Zergling/Baneling/Hydra.

and then its me the one without credibility......

he is using a crack to play, so just ignore him.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I have never played Zerg in 1vs1, but I've played them a couple of times in 2vs2 and Infestors can be quite bothersome with their Fungal Growth. On top of that, Grooved Spines-evolved Hydralisks out-range Marines, so if you can catch the Terran army on the move with their Siege Tanks on mobile mode, the Hydralisks can pretty much decimate it while Infestors continue to use Fungal Growth.
Of course that, cost-wise, and if indeed Terran shouldn't go air, you might as well go Banelings, but, in team games where you fight more than a single race, this is an alternative.
And, if that happens, a few Ghosts with enough energy for cloaking and sniper rounds will do nicely (it takes only 2 snipes), or, if the Zerg has got his infestors «balled», you may simply EMP them.
Like a few people here already said, the Hydralisk is like a stronger version of the Marine: send it out in the open, and it's dead in no time, but put meat-shields in front of it, and it'll deal a very worthy amount of damage.

Also, I don't doubt 200/200 carriers can beat 200/200 hydralisks. Remember that carriers can literally «ball» and attack all at once, whilst Hydralisks have collision, and if you just attack-move and watch as the ones at the front die and the ones in the back wait patiently for their turn, then no doubt the hydralisks will lose. Again, it's about positioning. To avoid a proper positioning of Hydralisks, Carriers can engage on a higher cliff level so hydralisks don't group underneath it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hydralisks are a general all purpose zerg unit. They are the second and best zerg ground unit capable of attacking air (queens are not that good) and deal reasonable DPS.

The problem with them is they are organic and actually quite low durability. As such colossus, ultralisks and siege tanks (especially pre patch) can mow them down most effectivly. Thus they must be used with a meat shield like lings, ultras or roaches.

Although they can hit air, they are only good against weak air or anti-air air. You will not want to send an army of hydralisks against a battlecruiser fleet or a swarm of broodlords.

Thus they perform the role of a middle tier zerg unit and quite well.

Late game you will eithor use specific anti air units or anti ground units which are more effective in those areas.

As for the carrier vs hydralisk argument. I honestly do not know. From my personal experience I find hydralisks are insanly effective against interceptors due to their high attack speed and dps and in large numbers I often find carriers being drained of interceptors completly and being forced to retreat. Wether the same applies for 200/200 I can not say. I guess the carriers would win but would suffer considerable losses (huge number of interceptors destroyed or lots of carriers dead).

Status
Not open for further replies.